Drag Technique with Automatic - Advice

tmc95

FFW Money Winner
Established Member
I know it seems simple with an automatic at the track but trying to get input on experience from this board.
Here are some subtle items I wanted to ping "this team" on:

1. Agree Traction Control "off" (of course).
2. Overdrive Button "on/off"?
3. Starting Line - Power Brake a "little" or push RPM up to 3k+ and stand on brake pedal hard as lights click down?
4. Leave shifter in "D" all the way or bumpshift each gear?
5. Deck throttle at start and hold it all the way down track or roll in and release as shift points are hit downtrack?

The above presumes I am running Drag Radials and have 4:10 gears.

Thoughts?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
theres no way you should get into OD but I still turn it off in my lightning anyway

I would not bump shift it, let the auto do its job in D

the initial hit of the throttle will depend on track prep but after that Id hold it through the firewall (unless it starts banging the limiter due to a bad tune). The launch seems to be a mix of the vehicle itself, track prep and the driver. Some do best flashing the converter from idle, I like to flash the converter in my lightning from around 1100, some hold the brake until its on the verge of pushing through em or spinning and then roll into it hard...I have never been good at braking it up and rolling into it

JD's04

Established Member
It depends on the what the track will hold. My best 60ft with nitto's is a 1.97 just rolling into it some people at different tracks are doing that and better with stock tires.

stang1971

Established Member
ill throw my .02 in since i have an auto and just put 4.10's in.

sat was my first time with it out with the 4.10's and the dr's. i made several passes trying different stuff to see what worked and what didnt.. her are my finding:

launching off idle.. 2.0 60'.... 12.40@112
launching at 2k....2.0 60'......12.38@113

upping the pressure from 22 to 27 psi:

launched at 2000-2300.. i was holding the brakes and giving the car as much rpm as i could without spinning or pushing thru the lights..

car went 12.27@114 with a 1.899 60'.

Users who are viewing this thread