Drag strip woes! Could use some help.

Crushinator

Established Member
This past weekend I ran my car for the first time with high hopes. I was extremely nervous since the last time I took a car to the track was 15 years ago.

I couldn’t get anything to work. I made 4 passes and the line lock would not engage. Worked fine in my driveway the night before, but at the track, nothing. My 60 ft times were horrible. 2.2, 2.3, 2.1 and my best was a 1.93.

I did use drag strip mode for all 4 passes. On all passes, coming out of the hole, I had the gas buried. It would light the tires then the traction control would kick in bogging the car. Once it hooked it took off like a bay out of hell. But after watching many videos of guys running 10.6 and 10.7’s at over 130, I was disappointed that my best was an 11.3 at 127. I ran two 11.5’s and an 11.6. All my mph were around 127.

My question to those that have success at the strip, what is your launching technique? I aired my rear tires down to about 26 psi.

Crushinator

Established Member
I was experimenting with the launch rpm. I started at 2500, went down to 2200, up to 3000 and finally on my best run used 1600. Is burying the gas a mistake? The D/A of the track I ran that day was 2631ft which obviously doesn’t help.

q6543

Established Member
I think with time you'll get more used to your car and run quicker

a youtuber I follow makes 1000rwhp plus ... and ran 10.1s

So don't think random supposedly stock hero passes are normal.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
You definitely don't just mash the gas when the light goes green. Feather it a little bit

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
upload_2021-7-21_6-52-46.png

Crushinator

Established Member
I think with time you'll get more used to your car and run quicker

a youtuber I follow makes 1000rwhp plus ... and ran 10.1s

So don't think random supposedly stock hero passes are normal.

I can definitely feel it is much quicker. Once I get passed the initial spin then bog, it takes off like a rocket. I’m gonna try a different track in the next couple weeks and see if the prep is any better.

It’s frustrating seeing what these cars are capable of and not being able to replicate it!

tampasnake

Established Member
I don't have a new GT500 but the frustration is always the fun part for me. The first time out in my car I didn't go faster than 14. Every time after that I kept getting better and better. That is fun and it keeps me going back to try to get better.

72SBC

Established Member
Stock PS4’s. I was able to do a slight burnout on the 11.3 pass. The guy kept spraying the hell out of the water box and I repeatedly asked him not to when he saw me coming. Must’ve been a Chevy guy.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

You do know you can drive around that. You’re supposed to. I’d definitely go around it on stock tires.

Crushinator

Established Member
At this particular drag strip, you can’t go around it. He sprays from one side to the other and each side has a cement barrier. No choice but to drive right through it.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I still think it’d be interesting to try a bias ply slick on this car. I’m pretty sure Hoosier or M&H make a 28x10 slick in 17 and 18”?
The smallest rear you fit is 18”?
We’ll eventually figure out this DCT :)
-J

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Yes mashing the pedal will do you no good. Get a good set of drag radials and get some practice in. I watch the board and if I don't see at least a 1.7 60ft, I won't even complete the run.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
The dragstrip is definitely a humbling experience.

Do not get caught up in all of the YouTube and magazine hype of what this car should do. (BTW, your times will represent what 90+ percent of the people who own this car will be able to achieve in stock form).

Just take it to the strip, enjoy it, and do your best to improve every time you go out. Some people like to make small notes on the side of their time slips to indicate any changes made pass to pass so it is easy to measure and monitor any improvements.

LostM

Established Member
So theres a few things
1- LC will not engage if the dct is not up to temp
2- LC will not engage if car is parked/started on an incline/decline
3- on stock tires, drop pressure to about 20-22psi cold
4- set LC as low as possible ( i forget like 1200?)
5-Set to dragstrip mode - dont change anything else
6- do a SMALL burnout to warm and clean them up + press ok to ROLL THROUGH the burnout before letting off
7- this car IS LITERALLY SMASH THE GAS

if the car spins like that ( spins bad- its stock tires they are gonna spin) then the track just isnt there for you
if the car bogs. repeat but add 300rpm to LC
Keep repeating this until it spins again.

BOD89LX

Established Member
Yes mashing the pedal will do you no good. Get a good set of drag radials and get some practice in. I watch the board and if I don't see at least a 1.7 60ft, I won't even complete the run.
For sure if you aren’t in the 1.7’ with a stock car you will not get in the tens, unless you have mineshaft DA.

Users who are viewing this thread