Votes: 198 32.0%
  • E.T. Streets

Votes: 167 27.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Russtang

Established Member
I am very happy with the traction and the treadwear of my 315 Nitto DRs. Running stock F1s on the front.

I love turning corners as much as I love going in a straight line, so here's a crazy question. Is anyone running DRs on the front? The Nitto DR sidewalls are stiffer than I expected & don't seem to roll over much on the rear. I would love that amount of grip in the front. 275 drs are a lot cheaper than most "competition" street tires.

Am I crazy for thinking about doing this?

Russ

silvercoffin

Established Member
update on my MT DRs

I have had Nittos, and currently have a set of BFG Drag Radials and a set of Mickey Thompson Drag Radials each mounted so I can try them bother and compare. The Mickey Thompsons blow away the BFGS in traction, as well as, tread life. I have run my first sub 1.7 60fts on the MTs and only once have I ever broke them loose at the track, any other time I have screwed up I bog the car because they hook so well. I can almost pop the clutch now...just start feathering the throttle and than once I am moving pop it. Last 6 runs have all been 1.75 or better!

THE BULLITT

Established Member
silvercoffin said:
I have had Nittos, and currently have a set of BFG Drag Radials and a set of Mickey Thompson Drag Radials each mounted so I can try them bother and compare. The Mickey Thompsons blow away the BFGS in traction, as well as, tread life. I have run my first sub 1.7 60fts on the MTs and only once have I ever broke them loose at the track, any other time I have screwed up I bog the car because they hook so well. I can almost pop the clutch now...just start feathering the throttle and than once I am moving pop it. Last 6 runs have all been 1.75 or better!

just learn to slip the clutch. **** feathering the gas pedal. i floor it at 5500 off the line. and slip the clutch to pull a non boging 1.700 60 foot. dont ask what i drive. and dont ask what it runs. cuz i get into enough bullshit on other sites. about it. cuz no one will beleiave me when i have video and slips to prove the time.
and if you so want ot find out. then ill gladly give you links to another site were you can read all about it.

silvercoffin

Established Member
update

THE LAST SIX RUNS HAVE ALL BEEN 1.69 OR BETTER!

MT DRAG RADIALS ARE AWESOME

Does anyone know.....

Will Etown let me run MT Drag Radials on the BFG sponsored import vs detroit iron street wars? I have heard rumors that people wren't allowed to run MT tires on BFG Sponsored events.

THE BULLITT

Established Member
silvercoffin said:
THE LAST SIX RUNS HAVE ALL BEEN 1.69 OR BETTER!

MT DRAG RADIALS ARE AWESOME

Does anyone know.....

Will Etown let me run MT Drag Radials on the BFG sponsored import vs detroit iron street wars? I have heard rumors that people wren't allowed to run MT tires on BFG Sponsored events.

if it is sponsored by bfg. then mostlikly thats all you can run. . i mean. a sponsored racing type deal. usually only wants those tpye tires running. you wouyld prolyl have to contact either bfg or the track that is handling the event and ask them about it. thats what i would do

silvercoffin

Established Member
haha

yeah Ill just leave my MTs on and stick the BFGs in my truck and change them if its an issue.. THE MTS are so much better and they last longer

silvercoffin

Established Member
haha

WOW thats pretty interesting that NIttos are winning! THEy SUCK! LOL

well i guess if you drive the car a lot on the street they are ok. They last the longest, but they are the hardest compound. I have had all three and the NIttos didnt come close at the track.

THE BULLITT

Established Member
i only heat up the bfg's for only like 6 secs till i see some smoke coming off the tires,(driver side mirror facing as far down to the back tire as posible) then i stage it. i rip off the line at 5500 and grab a 1.700 60 foots without tire spin. i have gottin 2. 1/2 season off my radials. with useing them on the street also. next year i plan on running some M/T drag radials. Just to see how good everyone says they are.

silvercoffin

Established Member
yeah?

yeah? With IRS? I guess I am probably interpreting "ripping it off the line" differently than what you mean... I launch at 4000 (470hp-465TQ) and I cut between 1.66-1.69 now....but if I really pop the clutch Ill still roast the tires at the line.

Man if you can make BFGs last that long you will get even more out of the MT DRs. They are totally worth the extra money becasue they last longer and work better...not that the BFGs are bad by any means

BUT NITTOS SUCK LOL

THE BULLITT

Established Member
silvercoffin said:
yeah? With IRS? I guess I am probably interpreting "ripping it off the line" differently than what you mean... I launch at 4000 (470hp-465TQ) and I cut between 1.66-1.69 now....but if I really pop the clutch Ill still roast the tires at the line.

Man if you can make BFGs last that long you will get even more out of the MT DRs. They are totally worth the extra money becasue they last longer and work better...not that the BFGs are bad by any means

BUT NITTOS SUCK LOL

i run a solid 8.8. But yeah i wantot try the m/t radials. i use a 15x8 centerline telstar wheel. with a 275/50/15 bfg drag.
if the track prep is good. you dont need to do a smoky burnout with the M/t or bfg's/ like i said i only burn them for like 6 sec. till i see some smoke. thats alli need. I run my drags at 14 pounds sometimes 10 depending on how good the track is prepped. lets change ripping off the line to luanching off the line. make this less confuseing.
and like i said i dont just dump the clutch. i jump on the gas and slip the clutch out.

even when i ran 17 inch bfgs on the street. and sometimes took them to the track. i still got exccelant traction. run them at 10 pounds. and im set for a 6 sec burnout and 5500 rpm launch.

if youburn any drag radial for to long it will make the tires very slippery and it wont have any traction at all.

i just redline first gear. till i see some smoke and pull up. as i pull up i slowly let off the brake. and when i feel a GRAB OF TIRE. i let the clutch out half way and 9/10tenths off the brake to do a controled dry hop. in the process of doing so. it will shock the tires. and clean and debrea off from rollingforward. and bring new rubber up.

silvercoffin

Established Member
nice

thats cool.. i wish I didnt get talked out of a solid rear....someday Ill have one.. Thats why you run your times...well that and im sure you know what your doing and how to drive..but people that dont believe you probably dont understand what a difference hte combiniation of a solid rear axle and a good driver make.

So what do you run? LOL I promise not to call you a liar! LOL

IM honest.. 11.58 @ 120 with a uhhh 1.70 60ft i think
470hp 460 somethin TQ at the wheels

2.80 pulley
exhaust
tune
DRs
Snubber
QA1s

Thats it!

11.4 coming soon i hope.... i want to get yelled at again! :banana:

THE BULLITT

Established Member
I drive a 2001 mustang bullitt gt N/A 2 valver. it runs [email protected].

POWER ADDERS.
dencecharger cai
SLP loudmouth catback
SLP o/r x-pipe
custom dyno tuned sct chip by my friend kieth from www.bigshotdyno.com
we got everythign we could out of the car. we only expected it to run 12.99. well we got fasterthen that. and posibly on friday it could have went 12.70's something. the car makes 270 rwhp and 315rwtg

DRIVETRAIN. MODS

4.10 gears. <---REMEMBEROT LOOK AT THIS.
moser 31 spline axles
03-04 cobra posi with carbon clutch pack.
summit racing bullitt proof diff cover with girdle support package.
centerforce stage 3 duel friction clutch
hurst s/t shifter.
energy suspension poly urathane tranny mount with cross member.
lakewood driveshaft safty loop.

FREES UP SOME POWER

FRPP aluminum drifeshaft (LESS ROTATING MASS
custom a/c delete kit made by me. ( LESS BELT DRAG ENGINE REVS FASTER
FRPP underdrive water pump and alternator

SUSPENSION MODS

FRPP cut GT springs.
CHE upper and lower tubular control arms.
quad shocks removed.
tokico 5 way adjustable illumini shocks.
03-04 cobra bilstien struts
front sway bar removed
pinion snubber removed

WEIGHT REDUCTION MODS

rear seat delete kit made by me.
wiper assembly removed.
all interior panels were pulled out. all sound deading. and insalation were removed. AND panels were put back in
all factory seat belts removed.
trunk has been completly gutted.
summit racing leather racing seats put in. to replace heavy ass factory seats.
removed all lines,condensor, compressor, etc everything for a/c has been removed

INTERIOR MODS

autometer 5 inch monster tach w/shift light.
upr tach mount bracket.
rci 5 point harness.

EXTERIOR MODS
mach 1 grille delete.
funional hood scoop made by me.

WHEELS AND TIRES.

rear 15x8 centerline tel-stars. with 275/50/15 bfg drags on them
front 15x5 centerline tel-stars. SKINNYS WERE NOT ON DURING THIS RUN. STOCK 17'S WERE ON IT..

Last edited:

silvercoffin

Established Member
ahhh

Ran 11.40 @ 121 a few weeks ago with a 1.63 60ft time on Mickey Thompson Drag Radials. THEY BLOW AWAY NITTOS and are obviously better than the BFGs as well.

I didnt get yelled at that night but this Friday night I ran 11.45 @ 121.95 but with only a 1.69 60 ft and got yelled at!!!! YEAH! LOL if I had the 1.63 60ft I would have run an 11.3!

then I tried to run it hot but missed 4th gear and ran 11.9 and ran it cold again and missed 4th gear...im hoping its just that i need a new clutch and not a tranny problem..

MT TIres rule. They are even softer to the touch than the others..obviously they will hook better.

silvercoffin

Established Member
info

For street racing you might not want a drag radial. They dont hook well unless you really heat them up and do a decent burnout. For auto X racing I woudnt use a drag radial.

I like my BFG G Force tires that I use on the street but I rarely race on the street or on the road course...

As far as drag radials go...........

I have had nitto DRs, BFG Drs and Mickey Thompson DRs and here is what I think;

Nittos Drag Radials are the weakest of all three as far as hooking up goes but last the longest and stuff doesnt stick to them as much when you have not heated them up...they dont stay sticky as long.. They are also pretty good in the rain....but watch out on cold surfaces..

BFG DRs are great but wear very fast and stay sticky....eveyrthing sticks to them including rocks and sand..

Mickey thompson DRs hook the best and last longer than the BFGs. They are worth the extra money.. They are also a mess on the street. Mine are still covered in pieces of leaves from my last trip to etown...

wizdawg

aka... Brian
Established Member
I got the bfg's, but next time around will be the MT. i dont see the point in getting nitto DR's. the main purpose of a DR is getting a sticky tire that will hook. the nitto can be outperformed in that catagory by many other DRs.

lthlsnake

U like spike strips? I do
Established Member
where is a good place to find the BFGs?
i need something that will look good on my 10.5 rim too

JohnsDSGVert

Established Member
You might consider the new Hoosier Drag Radial......it comes in 335x17 and is wicked looking. Discount Tires sold them to me for $205.....you might find them $195 if you shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread