Drag Radials?

Jason

Trying to figure out which Drag Radial to buy, and about how much will they knock off my ET? On a set of street tires my current best ET is a 13.52 at 103mph.

Mods to Car Now:
BBK Long Tubes w/ OFF Road H
Flow Master 2.5in Catback
BBK Cold Air Induction
Steeda Pulleys
Tri-Ax Shifter
3.73 Motorsport Gear

Future Mods to Car:
DSS 306 Pro Bullet Short Block
P1-SC ProCharger w/3 Core Intercooler
Tremac TKO
Goal is 500+ HP
Any Advice on Heads and Cam would be appreciated?

1qwkpny

Established Member
drag radials

I would suggest running the bf drag radials as they actually are a different compound as opposed to running the nitto's. My bf's have lasted longer and provided much more consistant times. However the nittos were more stable at the top end. The nittos are basically a shaved nt-555 street tire and while they claim the compound is diff. I pulled better 60ft times w/my street tires... Now the bf drag radials w/pressure set at 15lbs cut my 60ft time down to 1.6-1.8 depending on the track. My best time was 13.27@104 (look under the "how much HP does my 93 cobra have?" thread.)

Wayne93Cobra

Established Member
I'm running my 2nd set of Nitto DRs. My first set was 275, my current set are the 245 width on stock Cobra wheels.

The 275 width is no better. My best 60ft is a 1.999. All others are in the 2.0s I'm disappointed in the hook up. My stock Skaterback Goodyears got me 2.1s

I'm trying the BFG tires next.

Wayne

NotSoTame

Established Member
while were on the subject, i plan on getting the nittos 275/40 17 i have the 9 inch r wheels on, im not expecting any fitting problums b/c my friend has the same tires on the stock rims. But maybe you guys will know for sure if theyll fit thanx

Wayne93Cobra

Established Member
275/40 17 is the correct size for 9" wheels.

I found it is too wide for the stock 7 1/2" wheels. Sure, you can get them on, but the contact patch is uneven even with adjusted tire pressure.

Wayne

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Sorry guys but I have to disagree with all of you.

I am currently on my second set of nitto's and I will not run any other tire.

My first set was 245/45's on the stock 93 rim. Hooked way better than any street tire I had ever run but I could only muster a 2.0 60ft.
Next I tried the 275/40's on the stock 93 rim..wow what a difference! My 60ft's went down to consistent 1.7-1.8's. From now on I am running the 275/40's.

The nitto's last about 12k -15k miles depending on how hard you drive them. The most I have heard BFG's pulling was about 5k-6k miles.

Run the 275/40's and when you are the track lower them down to about 16-17psi. Heat the piss out of them and they will HOOK!I run them at about 22 psi on the street.

Wayne93Cobra

Established Member
Lee, long time no see!

Wow on the 60 ft time. I think I ran my 275 at 19-20lbs at the track. I also just barely warmed them. All I got was 2.0s

I guess I'll try the 275s again when I wear out the 245s. I can't afford to only get 5-6000 miles on BFGs.

I refuse to get rid of the original wheels.

Wayne

jrCobra

Established Member
I hear you on the original wheels, though I still love the 95 cobra R's. I wish they weren't so common.:rolleyes:

I'm still debating which size to get, 245 or 275. I'd have to get the same size all around.

I guess I could go NT555DR 275/40/17 in rear and then NT555 245/45/17 in front.

LEE, are you running DR's on all corners? Same size? I guess I'm just thinking I could swap front and rear if I start to wear them down, but then I guess maybe I should just stick with DR's in rear and Street Tires up front, just worry about replacing the rears more often. What can I say, I like my tires to match.:D

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
No... I am running 255/40 Sumitomo tires up front. They have almost the same tread pattern as the Nitto D/R's.

Wayne,
Finally ordered the B cam.. Got it and a set of trickflow springs for ford heads.. I am planning on starting the install this afternoon.
I can't wait top see how it runs with the cam and 150 shot of juice!

I am hoping for low 12's..Right now my best on a 100 shot and stock motor is 12.6@110.

I'll keep you posted.

Lee

Wayne93Cobra

Established Member
I too am running Sumitomo tires up front because they look like the Nittos.

My car has been blowing head gaskets and until now I haven't been able to find the problem. I had the heads O-ringed and I think they put the O-ring too high. Anyway, we are going to groove the heads to receive the gasket wire. Hope that works. I was hitting only 10-lbs boost and blowing the gasket. I'm tired of replacing gaskets.

Lee, can't wait to hear how the B cam works compared to what you now have. I have a Lunati that they recommended and I think I could have done better with a B-303 cam.

The next time I go to the track, I'll heat the Nittos more and lower the pressure to about 12lbs.

Wayne

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Wayne,

Got the cam installed and I can tell a great difference in the car. It is much stronger and wants to pull higher in the rpms than before.

However I cannot get it to idle right. Keeps trying to hunt or surge and it will not idle with the a/c on.

Can you point me in the right direction to fix this? By the way the timing is set at about 20 degrees right now. I am going to lower it back down to 15-16 degrees tomorrow.

Kingcobra93

Hey, all of you that are running 275/40 Nitto DRs on the stock 93 rims. Do you have to take off the quad shocks to make the 275s fit? With the stock size tires the quad shocks and tires are already pretty close together! Also I heard if you take off the quad shocks you get better traction, is this true? Thanks!

Jason

Drag Radial Update...

Well I went with the BFG's....and I must say they HOOK! Maybe the track conditions didn't hurt, but I knocked off another .20 off of my previous 13.52 and the 1.92 (60ft) was after it bogged hard. I only got two passes on the track because of an event that was going on for money...but Man....once I learn what RPM to launch at...I feel a 13.00 coming. I will keep you posted....:beer: :burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread