Drag Radials and winter storage

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
This winter, I will be storing my car under a carport that is attached to my house. The driveway is paved asphalt. I'm wondering how susceptible MT E/T Streets are to flat spotting. I usually air up my tires to max PSI for storage, but this is my first year with DRs.
I considered some FlatStoppers, but I dont think I need them.

96dreamer

Established Member
I'd put it on jack stands if possible, seems like a cheaper solution than the race ramps. My NT05R's had noticeable flat spots after sitting for the winter. They went away after a few miles but it was definitely noticeable.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Double check what MT says the acceptable temp range is, they might need to come inside

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Double check what MT says the acceptable temp range is, they might need to come inside
"Mickey Thompson suggests that you keep tires away from extreme high and low temperatures."
They are not really specific as far as temps go.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Mine say to bring them inside and reduce tire pressure to below 20psi

CobraSam

Established Member
Do you periodically run your car throughout the winter? If so, just move it forwards or backwards a few inches each time, you’ll be fine.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
You should remove the wheels and put them in storage in a warm area. It is very bad advice to leave them on the car in freezing conditions.

The moment the tires are exposed to freezing conditions, glassification occurs and the tire compound deteriorates and becomes permanently damaged.

Last edited:

CobraSam

Established Member
Well, it’s worked just fine for me over the last 15 or so years of owning mustangs with Drag radials. Garage and no garage. Never had an issue. Not to say I didn’t have some sort of degradation to the rubber compound, just never noticed it. This includes storing many sets of DR’s and Bias slicks over the winter, then using them at the track come spring. No loss of traction or drop in 60’ times or anything. How many tires are exposed to freezing conditions without issue? A shitload.
But scientifically, I’m sure you do have a great point. I guess if he has the ability to bring them inside, then why not right?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I guess I could try to find a spare set of wheels for the back. I had some for last year, but ended up selling them this year.

MG0h3

Established Member
I used to put my car on stands when I’d be out of town for work for 3-6 months.

Got tired of it and just aired them up. There can be a little chop until you get some heat and miles in the

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

MFE

Established Member
Yeah, they'll flat-spot, but it'll go away within 5 miles of driving. The bigger challenge is drag radials and cold temps, you might as well be driving on cafeteria trays.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
How cold will it get? How much power? Do you use them at the track or just street?
But if you can, yes, definitely keep them inside.
-J

q6543

Established Member
I'm in michigan... we get sub zero for weeks at a time.

Fill it up with E85 and park it... maybe fire it up 1 or 2 times if we get a fluke 45 or 50 degree day and cruise around the block.

My ET street SS were on their 3rd year... hooked better than ever fwiw.

car traps 137s, so it's just a quick street car though.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Hmm. Parked outside?
I’m basically in Michigan and MTs don’t work well in year 3 in my experience but I’ve never ran the SS model.
-J

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
How cold will it get? How much power? Do you use them at the track or just street?
But if you can, yes, definitely keep them inside.
-J

I'm in MA, so a few days in the single digits, but mostly 20s and 30s.
My car is 450rwhp/515tq with a 67mm turbo. I dont plan on tracking the car any time soon.

Users who are viewing this thread