Down on power

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Ive never heard of this clutch protection. Can you elaborate? I have a new Lund tune on the way as well.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Go dyno it, or measure out a 1/4 mile (easy to do on the Interstates that measure mile markers in tenths, just start even with one, then go past 2 and 1/2 of them, or use Google Maps to measure between land marks) and see what it traps. Should be close to 130mph if not a hair more. If you have a buddy with a fast car, do a 4th gear roll.

Also, this might be stretching it a bit logically... you said you are running E85. That stuff is corrosive like nobody's business. Have you changed your oil recently? Typically, from what I've read here, you need to run a special motor oil, change it every 1000 miles max, and have a great oil catch can. You might have a ton of sludge in your oil pan, and things might be clogging up like a thick chocolate milkshake.

devilish64

Established Member
Care to elaborate on what you could Install incorrectly? Install the discs facing the wrong direction or something like that?

BoosteR23

Established Member
Did you disconnect the battery for the install? After my clutch install the car was way down on power, it just wasn't the same, like it had the stock tune it. I re-installed my Lund tune...problem solved! The car is back to it's normal self.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I'd like him to read this thread and check his oil asap, since he is running on E85.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1091396-Head-gasket-or-something-else

01 1320 valve cover.jpg

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Plugged cats, OP? Maybe you knocked some of the ceramic loose while you were changing your clutch.

devilish64

Established Member
I haven't had cats for a few years.... changed the oil last weekend it had only been in the motor for maybe 1500 miles.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Man you got quite a mystery here. You picked all our brains, and no solution. Noticing any better power with the cooler weather? Have you ruled out an intermittent intercooler pump?

2001Cobrabuddy

Established Member
No....not generally. And it takes the IDS tool to do it. Not with a handheld.

Just a far out thought

SCT X4 handheld device has the software for the crank relearn function. At the main screen click the (vehicle functions) ---> (special functions) ---> (crank relearn) options.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
You don't want to do the crank relearn option. I did that one time and ended up with a persistent Check Engine light. Had to reload the tune to get rid of it. Speaking of which, did you reload the tune, OP?

devilish64

Established Member
I've reloaded the tune probably 4 times now and it doesn't change anything.... I have yet to do a compression test cause I've never done one and the results might be something i don't want to see. I don't know much about what a crank relearn is..... how you do it..... or when it is required to do. I will do some research on that. I appreciate all the help guys!!!!!

devilish64

Established Member
Hey Bj.... or anyone that knows really. I read you can do a crank relearn on the X4. I currently have an x3 but am down to upgrade to avoid going to Ford. My question is will the tunes files you guys have emailed me download the same to the X4 as they did on my X3?? And also, will my car have to be returned to stockish for this crank relearn.... if so do you think just putting a K&n cold air and putting pump gas will work considering I have ID1300's installed? or will I have to change those injectors out? Thanks

Missyandrob2005

Established Member
My car was doing exactly what you're describing. Part of it was my intercooler pump stopped flowing. Anything over 125 degrees on the IAT2 and the computer starts pulling timing. I was idling around at 210 degrees staying out of boost. Fixed that and what a difference. Now my car is still pulling timing but not as bad. Think I might have a false knock issue. I would be checking your intercooler pump first ...

Users who are viewing this thread