Down on hp, but not out!

jbp99cobra

Fly fat ass, fly!!!
Established Member
As you guys know, I toasted the engine in the cobra a couple of weeks ago. I can't afford to fix it right now with a baby on the way, so I decided to take a cheaper way out and follow Troy's lead. I went from a lot of hp to basically nothing. I picked her up this morning for $800. It is a 1987 325es. It needs some things before it will be ready for the track (suspension, brakes, and tires), but to replace one of these engines is only $300. I figured I would take a crack at the world of imports.
E30_2.jpg

E30_1.jpg

Here it is next to the cobra (that is in paperweight mode)...
E30_4.jpg

I am scheduled for an event in October, so I will let you guys know how it goes.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Congrats, John.

I was hoping you would drive my Z06 down to the track while I trailered the Cobra :)

jbp99cobra

Fly fat ass, fly!!!
Established Member
Thanks guys.

Kevin - I am sure you are looking forward to seeing what times you pull with the new car!

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Jeez! $800?!
I'd pick that up for a DD, track car, or maybe planter in the front garden.
Looks like a lot of fun for not much $$$$. :thumbsup:

dragon40k

Established Member
Damn. For $800 i'd buy 2! I wouldn't spend a dime on tires, suspension or brakes, other than pads of course, unless it needs it for maintenance.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
That is an awesome choice.....the car looks clean and straight....I'm jealous. :) There is a ton of support for the platform. You can really get that car happening for cheap. I would recommend a used J-stock suspension...there are a lot out there in good shape for cheap. You'll need updated/upgraded rear upper shock mounts, probably new bushings everywhere. If you have the aluminum front control arms, you'll need to check the ball joints closely. Lastly, you REALLY need to keep an eye on the cooling system. T-stat, the T-stat housing, water pump, and radiator are all weak points. As long as those items are taken care of, the car is almost bullet proof on track.

I have a lot of labor hours in E30 cars. Even in 325is form, on the J-stock suspension, the car will turn better than almost anything you've driven to date.

and it is cheap enough that if it blows up...you can walk away from it.

TroyV

Established Member
....and if you don't like the car, I'll come down and take it off your hands. :)

wheelhopper

Established Member
Awesome John. That is what I need to do. Get a cheap track car to have some fun in. Will I be seeing you at VIR in October now?

jbp99cobra

Fly fat ass, fly!!!
Established Member
TroyV said:
That is an awesome choice.....the car looks clean and straight....I'm jealous. There is a ton of support for the platform. You can really get that car happening for cheap. I would recommend a used J-stock suspension...there are a lot out there in good shape for cheap. You'll need updated/upgraded rear upper shock mounts, probably new bushings everywhere. If you have the aluminum front control arms, you'll need to check the ball joints closely. Lastly, you REALLY need to keep an eye on the cooling system. T-stat, the T-stat housing, water pump, and radiator are all weak points. As long as those items are taken care of, the car is almost bullet proof on track.

I have a lot of labor hours in E30 cars. Even in 325is form, on the J-stock suspension, the car will turn better than almost anything you've driven to date.

and it is cheap enough that if it blows up...you can walk away from it.

Thanks for the tips. It does have a new water pump & t-stat. I am going to flush all of the fluids and it will hopefully hold up for its first trip to the track. What is the J-stock suspension?

Awesome John. That is what I need to do. Get a cheap track car to have some fun in. Will I be seeing you at VIR in October now?

Thanks. I have a wedding that weekend in South Carolina, so I can't make it to VIR... BUT I did convince my wife that I could go to the track (CMP) and still make it to he wedding:-D

jbp99cobra

Fly fat ass, fly!!!
Established Member
Damn. For $800 i'd buy 2! I wouldn't spend a dime on tires, suspension or brakes, other than pads of course, unless it needs it for maintenance.

Yeah, the majority of the car and its parts are 22 years old. It needs it and I need it for safety reasons.

TroyV

Established Member
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread