Dorco/ Dollar Shave Club Blades

96_slow4.6

my car is really slow
Established Member
Just like most of everyone, I'm tired of paying for the Gillette razor blades, my question is on these other blades, do you guys get multiple uses out of them or are they a one and done? I'm referring to the Pace 7 cartridges not the disposable razors.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Just like most of everyone, I'm tired of paying for the Gillette razor blades, my question is on these other blades, do you guys get multiple uses out of them or are they a one and done? I'm referring to the Pace 7 cartridges not the disposable razors.

Been using them for years. I usually get a week, week and a half out of one cartridge. They can get a bit rough after that. The key to keeping them sharp is drying them off after each use.

96_slow4.6

my car is really slow
Established Member
Are you guys shaving daily? I normally shave roughly once a week and it's just my neck area so I just let that get scruffy throughout the week.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Are you guys shaving daily? I normally shave roughly once a week and it's just my neck area so I just let that get scruffy throughout the week.

I do the same thing, only shave once a week. I usually get 3-4 shaves out of my blades but as @03Sssnake said you have to maintain them. I wash the blades thoroughly after each use and dry them.

96_slow4.6

my car is really slow
Established Member
Thanks guys! Once I finish up with my Gillette blades I'll for sure switch over to these and be sure to maintain them as you guys have mentioned.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
I tried Dollar Shave Club before - Was not really a fan of the blades.

I'd get 3-5 good shaves out of them, and even after drying after each use, cleaning them, they went dull.

With the Gillette's, I get a good 2-3 weeks out of a blade and buy them at Costco, which is only a bit more expensive than Dollar Shave Club or Dorcel blades.

I could shave every day to keep the clean look, but, I let it grow for a day or two and then shave.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
I shave every few days, used DSC for a couple years now without complaints. Given frequency of shaving, I usually have 1-2 extra 4 packs at all times.

fixed it for you
Don't think anyone has ever asked for your help.

7upstang

Established Member

Depends. Mostly, I just do my neck as well. If that's the case, I'll get two weeks.

They have a baby face option, you can get blades every two months instead. So basically, $3 a month.

Blown 89

Established Member
I'm thinking about buying one of these:

https://amzn.to/2XqvItl

Do it. You'll save a metric ton of money over the long haul. There's a learning curve and you'll quickly realize any shaving pain you've had over the years is self inflicted, cartridge razors are garbage, and once you dial in your blade and soap of choice your face will thank you for it.

FWIW I use
- Merker 37c Slant (slant razors are a little more advanced but cut much better)
- Merker 34c
- Dr. Harris soap or Tarbac depending on which is on sale at the time. Once you buy the bowl refills are much cheaper. I found soaps to offer a slicker shave at a fraction of the cost.
- Parker brush and a Simpson travel brush. IMO brushes are a complete waste of money. The best brush I own was $5 at the grocery story. Unfortunately my son uses that (he's 2.5 years old so I took the blade out of my 34c so he could shave like dad).
- Astra Platinum blades. I paid $3.00 for a 100 pack. I bought enough to last me a lifetime. That's 3 cents a blade, no shave club can beat that. Buy a sample pack and find the blade that works best for your skin. Give it a year or so then revisit the sample pack after you've learned to shave and you'll find your forever blade. The sharpest blade won't necessarily be the best for your beard type.

I shave every day, twice a day if I go out at night. The blades last a while but it's cheap enough that you can chuck it after every shave and still come out ahead. If I have time I'll shave with a straight razor which is a closeness you can't beat. Track the prices on camelcamelcamel.com and if you catch everything at a low point you'll pay next to nothing to shave for the rest of your life.

96_slow4.6, shave clubs are garbage. Give a safety razor a try. Cartridge razors are terrible and the reason that a market for soothing shave gels, lotions, etc are even around is to help mask the damage those things do to your face. Razor burn will disappear and you will never nick yourself and bleed every again. Plus it will be the best shave you've ever had.

SID297 and Screw-Rice. If you have questions on them let me know. There's a learning curve and the people on shaving forums will buy any snake oil sold to them but I can point you in the right direction.

GodStang

Established Member
I shave every other day and the Gillette lasts me about 6-8 months per blade. I tried Harry's and they worry horrible. I used a blade twice and it was too painful so I threw it away just thinking maybe it was defective and grabbed another. It to was horrible was pulling hair more than cutting it.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I shave about every 10 days or so, using Gillette. I have easily been using the same blade for well over a year. Key thing here is I use an electric trimmer to bring the length way down, shower to soften things up, then shave right after. And as said above, rinse and dry the blades.

Users who are viewing this thread