Dorco/ Dollar Shave Club Blades

96_slow4.6

my car is really slow
Established Member
@Blown 89 I've never really had an issue with razor but I'd be interested in trying said safety razor Sid brought up. Would you mind posting up some of those tips in case some of us want to try the safety razor?

@GodStang and @badcobra as mentioned I shave roughly once a week but at most I can get only about 6 shaves ( 6 weeks out of a razor blade) and then it's not a clean as the first few. I'm using a Mach 3 Turbo fwiw.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I use Harry's to shave my dome. I was using the Dorko blades before I tried Harry's. The Harry's blades seem to cut closer and last about the same amount of time.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
@Blown 89 I've never really had an issue with razor but I'd be interested in trying said safety razor Sid brought up. Would you mind posting up some of those tips in case some of us want to try the safety razor?

@GodStang and @badcobra as mentioned I shave roughly once a week but at most I can get only about 6 shaves ( 6 weeks out of a razor blade) and then it's not a clean as the first few. I'm using a Mach 3 Turbo fwiw.
Mach 3 sucks balls. Get the Fusion 5 Proglide with the battery in it. Shave only after a hot shower. The blades will last months.

Blown 89

Established Member
Sure.
First, map out a detailed hair growth direction of your face. Don't assume you know how it grows, let it grow out then feel the growth pattern and mark it. Here's my growth pattern:
Untitled-2.jpg

Then you'll want to evaluate your growth. Speed of growth, thickness, hair width, and skin sensitivity. Most people think their skin is really sensitive but it's not, they just have terrible shave technique and it's in a constant state of irritation. The type of skin and beard you have will determine what blades to start with. Blades have different sharpnesses, comfort levels, and consistency. I prefer a comfortable blade with mid sharpness. Start with a sample pack, find your blade, then revisit the sample packs a year later after you've honed your skills.

Moisturize your skin daily and shave after a shower (or in the shower). Prep is key. Don't shave dry skin with dry hairs. Soften them up first and moisturize after. You'll want to shave in 1-3 passes. First pass is with the grain (in the direction of the arrows), second pass is across the grain (45 to the arrow), and the third pass is against the grain (you can repeat any step as necessary). I do two passes every day and three passes if I'm going out to get some ass. Hold the razor at a 30 degree angle to your face. These blades don't pivot so you have to pivot it manually which gets tricky going over the chin or jaw line. Don't think of it as taking hair off, think of it as a gradual beard reduction, if you go straight for the third step the blade slips down the hair and digs into the skin. That's what razor burn is. You want to gradually slice the tops off. Stretching the skin with your off hand helps. There's a specific direction to do it and google can help. It's not as important to safety razors but crucial to straight razors. I've found a slight stretch of the skin against the shave direction helps.

Some tools of the trade:
Alum blocks: it's a natural antiseptic. It will clean your skin after, keep it from getting greasy, and stop any minor bleeding from nicks. It will tell you where you shaved poorly by the searing sting you feel. Once you hone your skill you won't feel anything. I don't it often.

Soap/cream: You'll want to invest in a good shave soap or cream. Don't use the over the counter shit in cans. Soaps require a stiffer brush and a little more work but are slicker. Creams are a little more expensive and lather up quicker. There's an art to lathering brushes up. Basically soak the brush and if you use a soap lather it up in the bowl. If there are bubbles there's too much water, if it's thick not enough. It takes practice

Pre-shave products: a total waste of time IMO. I'll use an oil as a preshave when I shave with a straight razor but for safety razors I wouldn't waste your time.

Things that will stop happening to you:
- Cutting yourself: using toilet paper patches, styptic pencils, or stop bleeds. Kiss that shit goodbye
- Irritated skin: cartridge blades irritate the **** out of skin. That's why they have moisture strips and all sorts of gizmos and do-dads. If you have 5 blades on the razor it's scraping over your face five times vs. a single pass of a double edge blade.
- Razor burn: Simply put, razor burn is an error in shaving technique. It's not sensitive skin it's you sucking with a razor. The downside to a safety razor is when you get it wrong it ****ing hurts and you really get it wrong. It forces you to shave properly and as a result razor burn will disappear completely.
- Ingrown hairs: like razor burn they're caused by bad technique and will be a thing of the past

The downsides:
- shaving takes a little more time
- there is a learning curve and it takes practice
- bigger up front cost
- when you get it wrong it's worse than getting it wrong with a cartridge razor. If you man up and go to a straight razor getting it wrong starts to have consequences.

The upsides:
- it's less costly down the road. Significantly less costly
- the soaps, creams, brushes, etc are all significantly better quality
- when you get it right it's much healthier for your skin
- you won't get a closer shave with an off the shelf product

Here's a good starter article:
How to Shave With a Safety Razor | The Art of Manliness

96_slow4.6

my car is really slow
Established Member
Sure.
First, map out a detailed hair growth direction of your face. Don't assume you know how it grows, let it grow out then feel the growth pattern and mark it. Here's my growth pattern:
View attachment 1554611
Then you'll want to evaluate your growth. Speed of growth, thickness, hair width, and skin sensitivity. Most people think their skin is really sensitive but it's not, they just have terrible shave technique and it's in a constant state of irritation. The type of skin and beard you have will determine what blades to start with. Blades have different sharpnesses, comfort levels, and consistency. I prefer a comfortable blade with mid sharpness. Start with a sample pack, find your blade, then revisit the sample packs a year later after you've honed your skills.

Moisturize your skin daily and shave after a shower (or in the shower). Prep is key. Don't shave dry skin with dry hairs. Soften them up first and moisturize after. You'll want to shave in 1-3 passes. First pass is with the grain (in the direction of the arrows), second pass is across the grain (45 to the arrow), and the third pass is against the grain (you can repeat any step as necessary). I do two passes every day and three passes if I'm going out to get some ass. Hold the razor at a 30 degree angle to your face. These blades don't pivot so you have to pivot it manually which gets tricky going over the chin or jaw line. Don't think of it as taking hair off, think of it as a gradual beard reduction, if you go straight for the third step the blade slips down the hair and digs into the skin. That's what razor burn is. You want to gradually slice the tops off. Stretching the skin with your off hand helps. There's a specific direction to do it and google can help. It's not as important to safety razors but crucial to straight razors. I've found a slight stretch of the skin against the shave direction helps.

Some tools of the trade:
Alum blocks: it's a natural antiseptic. It will clean your skin after, keep it from getting greasy, and stop any minor bleeding from nicks. It will tell you where you shaved poorly by the searing sting you feel. Once you hone your skill you won't feel anything. I don't it often.

Soap/cream: You'll want to invest in a good shave soap or cream. Don't use the over the counter shit in cans. Soaps require a stiffer brush and a little more work but are slicker. Creams are a little more expensive and lather up quicker. There's an art to lathering brushes up. Basically soak the brush and if you use a soap lather it up in the bowl. If there are bubbles there's too much water, if it's thick not enough. It takes practice

Pre-shave products: a total waste of time IMO. I'll use an oil as a preshave when I shave with a straight razor but for safety razors I wouldn't waste your time.

Things that will stop happening to you:
- Cutting yourself: using toilet paper patches, styptic pencils, or stop bleeds. Kiss that shit goodbye
- Irritated skin: cartridge blades irritate the **** out of skin. That's why they have moisture strips and all sorts of gizmos and do-dads. If you have 5 blades on the razor it's scraping over your face five times vs. a single pass of a double edge blade.
- Razor burn: Simply put, razor burn is an error in shaving technique. It's not sensitive skin it's you sucking with a razor. The downside to a safety razor is when you get it wrong it ****ing hurts and you really get it wrong. It forces you to shave properly and as a result razor burn will disappear completely.
- Ingrown hairs: like razor burn they're caused by bad technique and will be a thing of the past

The downsides:
- shaving takes a little more time
- there is a learning curve and it takes practice
- bigger up front cost
- when you get it wrong it's worse than getting it wrong with a cartridge razor. If you man up and go to a straight razor getting it wrong starts to have consequences.

The upsides:
- it's less costly down the road. Significantly less costly
- the soaps, creams, brushes, etc are all significantly better quality
- when you get it right it's much healthier for your skin
- you won't get a closer shave with an off the shelf product

Here's a good starter article:
How to Shave With a Safety Razor | The Art of Manliness
Wow! That's a lot @Blown 89, definitely going to take my time, read up and look into this. Also the visual helps a lot as well!

I knew that was coming @HISSMAN hahaha!

@badcobra I never really upgraded because it worked well or so I thought. If I don't go straight razor I might have to take your advice.

Blown 89

Established Member
Wow! That's a lot @Blown 89, definitely going to take my time, read up and look into this. Also the visual helps a lot as well!
It's really not that complicated once the razor is in your hand. You just can't be ham fisted and lackadaisical like you can with a cartridge razor.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator

This one is so uncomfortable to watch... It's all about the setup from the first vid.

Last edited:

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I use to get pissed off at razor blades in the store. Went to dollar shave club and never looked back. They take 4 bucks out of my account and I get my blades. I even had a subscription to my father in law going. Great blades, great handle and the video was hilarious. Plus the donated to the Military at one point which sold me more.

Users who are viewing this thread