door ding (dry ice)

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member
so I have a door ding from some fabulous person and I was wondering how to fix it myself? I have heard that you can use dry ice to do this and I just happen to have access to dry ice.:shrug:

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
sometimes dry ice does work. You need to do it on a hot day. just gently rub the dry ice against the dent.

You can access dry ice a wal-mart.

make sure to get some think insulated gloves also.

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member
we have dry ice at work and thats what made me think about it. will it affect the paint is all I am worried about really.

IROC-Z28

Established Member
I heard you heat the dent with a hair dryer, then apply the dry ice. But that's what I "heard". You might want to research it a bit.

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
I have never heard of that trick but it makes sense, kind of like when you shrink metal, heat it then cool it quickly. Let us know if it works.

99stanger

RPB
Established Member
Same theory as the blow dryer/ keyboard cleaner theory...

- You heat up the paint with a blow dryer then with a can of keyboard duster (you know the stuff that when you spray the can it blows air into your keyboard blowing out the debris?) Anyway, flip that can up upside down... when you do this it blows out at I think like -200 and something degrees.

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
subscribing....heard of this several times, but never had the bawls to try it on my car. Something tells me chipped off paint would show up rather easily on a blacked out car.

03 black gt

Established Member
I saw somewhere that even if you get the dent out with dry ice, when the car is back in the sun the heat reaffects the metal and makes the dent reappear.

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
Eh, you could try it, but I have herd about this before without any sucess. What it does is shrink the metal possibly pulling the metal back to shape.

Just get some paintless dent removal. What the guy does is stick a rod in through one of the access holes inside your door and massages the inside of the dent in little circles until the dent is gone. It doesn't require a repaint and unlike the dry ice, doesn't put the paint through extreme temperatures for something that may or may not work.

Just my .02

Users who are viewing this thread