Door Chime

MixMaker

I've got a fever!!
Established Member
My truck now dings at me at all times when the door is open. That's whether the lights are on or off, and only stops when I close the door or put the key in the ignition. Is there a fuse I can pull to stop this insanity? I don't care if it never dings again...I just want it to stop. :mj:

Smokinjoe

Established Member
Mine does the same thing whenever the door is open. It doesn't matter if the key is in or out, or if the lights are on for off. I'm not an idiot, I don't need a buzzer to tell me my door is open. :fm:

MixMaker

I've got a fever!!
Established Member
I guess the previous owner took care of mine because I have never heard it.

I've never heard the seatbelt chime either, never knew we had one.

I did however fix the key in ignition chime.

First off you need to remove the black trim behind the wheel, it just pops right off. Remove wheel tilt lever by unscrewing it counter clockwise, then the 3 screws under the steering wheel.

mail-6.jpg

The black plastic around the wheel is two pieces. Carefully take the bottom part off first, for the top piece you have to remove the ignition cylinder by turning the key to the on position but don't start the truck, then pressing a small button underneath with a small screwdriver will allow you to pull out the cylinder easily.

mail-2.jpg

mail-3.jpg

Here is where one or two things have gone wrong causing your chime to think the key is in even when it's not. Either the orange plastic piece with the contacts is bad or loose.

mail-4.jpg

Or like in my case, the blue plastic piece on the housing has come loose and not making contact.

mail-1.jpg

In my case it was broken completely. I tried using adhesive, then superglue, then finally a combination of superglue and zipties to keep it on where it's supposed to go because everytime I went to put everything back together it'd fall back out.

mail.jpg

Anyway, there you go guys.....I think you could just clip the wire and tape it so it doesn't make contact anymore if you don't want to hear it ever again, but I decided to just fix it instead of doing away with it. I'm not 100% sure it won't affect anything else though, so it's your call.

PC PaiN

Established Member
in my 02 trans am I found the wire for it in the harness, and spliced into it and put a switch in the glove box. That way I could switch it off if I was working on the car and had the radio on and door open.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I've never heard the seatbelt chime either, never knew we had one.

I did however fix the key in ignition chime.

First off you need to remove the black trim behind the wheel, it just pops right off. Remove wheel tilt lever by unscrewing it counter clockwise, then the 3 screws under the steering wheel.

mail-6.jpg

The black plastic around the wheel is two pieces. Carefully take the bottom part off first, for the top piece you have to remove the ignition cylinder by turning the key to the on position but don't start the truck, then pressing a small button underneath with a small screwdriver will allow you to pull out the cylinder easily.

mail-2.jpg

mail-3.jpg

Here is where one or two things have gone wrong causing your chime to think the key is in even when it's not. Either the orange plastic piece with the contacts is bad or loose.

mail-4.jpg

Or like in my case, the blue plastic piece on the housing has come loose and not making contact.

mail-1.jpg

In my case it was broken completely. I tried using adhesive, then superglue, then finally a combination of superglue and zipties to keep it on where it's supposed to go because everytime I went to put everything back together it'd fall back out.

mail.jpg

Anyway, there you go guys.....I think you could just clip the wire and tape it so it doesn't make contact anymore if you don't want to hear it ever again, but I decided to just fix it instead of doing away with it. I'm not 100% sure it won't affect anything else though, so it's your call.

That's a good one. Post it in the How-To forum.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread