Done with FORD

SVTGABE

Established Member
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I have two 02 F150's, a lightning and a V6 XL. The L has 80,000 and the V6 has 120,000, the only things ive ever changed was the regular stuff(oil, filters, brakes, etc.). Heck im still on the original battery in the V6. Theres always some bad ones in the bunch though.

12secgt

Established Member
Transmission was junk but didn't go out till 100,000 miles? If used for around town or towing that is not that bad. All vehicles have their own service problems but alot of what some see as problems are opinions instead of real problems. I've been a mechanic for 10 years and come to see alot of the common problems and common complaints.

kcobra

MUSTANG MANIAC
Established Member
My wonderful 2004 F 150

Week Two of ownership the power steering went bad. Dealership fixed it under warrenty but the steering always made a creaking sound when you first turned on the truck and started steering then would go away.

A few months later the truck went into nuetral on the highway. I called the dealership but it would always go away and they said they couldnt help me.

Back window starting rattling terribly. Apprently there was a "TSB" on that so they fixed it kind of.

Over the years the truck went into neutral three times on the highway and only manually shifting into 2nd would keep it going. Finally at 35000 I took it in and complained but it wouldnt do it for the dealership so they couldnt help me.

Water started pouring in from around the back fixed window. The seal around the third brake light had gone bad causing this.

three years later my PARKING brake (that I rarely use) seized up and ford refused to cover the parking brake under extended warrenty.

The moonroof started leaking and the dealership never had their "window guy:" look at it but they concluded it was because on drain was partially clogged or because of the seal around the third brake light! (the one i had to remind them ) they had already fixed. I paid $100 to have them blow air through the drains and now since they took apart the fender to get to the drain there is a rattle sound from the fender you can hear in the truck at idle.

I also asked the dealership to listen for a bad rattle sound that happened every time I started the truck cold and sometimes hot to. They heard the noise but said it went away to fast to diagnose.

I think the moonroof is still leaking...

AND THE GRAND FINALE!!!!

at 105,000 miles the trans....you remember... the one that occasionally went into neutral on the highway went bad. I was told that the torque converter and pump were bad and that repairs would cost only a little less than a reman trans with a 100,000 warrenty. I took it to a trans shop to have this confirmed and was tolld the same. I called Ford to see if they would do something for me and of course the would do nothing even though it was documented by the dealrship that I had issues with the trans when the truck had 35000 miles on it.

New trans works great and all rattle sounds are gone. Now after spending $3000 i am left wondering if the dealership even bothered to try and diagnose the bad rattle sound that was coming from the truck...since it disappeared with the new trans that was most likely the cause of it.

NO MORE FORDS for me and actually no more American cars. I am looking at Nissan, Toyota, and Honda for me wife who needs a car next.

I know that you can get unlucky with any car and things are always going to break eventually. I think my experiences are a bit extreme. And I havent even bothered mentioning my three mustangs or the fact that I bought a brand new trans for my cobra and that still cant get down the 1/4 mile and get through the gears after years of running 11s and with a new trans.

No more fords ever. Even my a relative of mine who is against all things foreign...including people lol.... got talked into a toyota tundra and loves it. 40000 miles so far and not one problem..

My Volvo 300,000 miles on original trans and motor and was still running well when i sold it...and i wish i didnt.

Or how about all those Toyota Camrys out there going well over 200,000 with no problems...

SCREW bailing out American Car companies... they ALL SUCK.. Max profit for mininum product.
Go ahead and buy the Jap stuff. Your in for a surprise. I don't know about you but the Toyota, Honda, Nissan quality has gone down the drain also. Those companies have gotten greedy just like the others and it's cost them reliability. I work at a Paper Mill that once had 1100 employees. I've seen my share of Japanese break down just like the big 3. Ford has actually qualified for very high JD power associates ratings. They rate above Toyota now. You can't go from 1 lemon and call them all junk! I can give you the phone numbers to about 11 people of the top of my head who would never go Jap again. Don't forget, those Japs are now made by us lazy americans!

sc98cbra

Established Member
Sucks to be you.

On another note. Go ahead and buy foreign. Your own country's economy is already in a big hole. Why not just make it any worse and buy foreign.

Kthxbai.

Have fun! Dont forget to buckle up!

4MuscleMachines

Established Member
One of my employees bought his 2004 F-150 brand new (he was working for me at the time then too) and has never had it back for any service ever. Tires, oil, brakes is all it has needed. 100k and he tows and works it. 4x4 BTW. Sorry you had a bad experience.

My experience as well. I am the original owner of my 2004 Screw and never a problem besides two window regulators going bad. In fact, I am getting ready to drop a supercharger on it.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
:whine::whine::whine::whine::whine::whine::whine::whine::whine::whine::whine::whine::whine::whine::whine::whine::whine::whine::whine::whine::whine::whine::whine::whine::whine::whine::whine::whine::whine:.

So you bought a lemon, it happens. What does that have to do with the rest of the million other f-150s out there? :shrug:

Me personally, I beat the hell out of my L and its still running strong after +120K miles.

H8IMPORTS

Established Member
I have a friend that owns his own buisness and he ONLY drive F150s. He has the first one he bought new STILL RUNNING. Never had any issues with it. It has well over 330,000 miles and still going strong. Never had any problems with the trans or engine or anything. He keeps the oil and trans fluid changed. H4e even changed the rear end dope in it. He bought him a 04 F150 and it has a 100,000 miles on it still going stong. No problems with either one. He pulls trailers all over the united states with garage doors. He uses his to work with not just to drive. I don't see the Japs lasting that long worked ever day of there life.

I ONLY drive Fords and will not drive anything else unless it it a domestic. I don't like Jap Crap. Will not own anything import.

Sorry you had bad luck but you will get a bad one. You should of tried a different dealer if the first one didn't want to help you.

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
The only issue I've had with my 04 was the rear brake light seal AND the spark plug issue. I had them (some of them) changed at 45k miles. Two broke. 500 dollars in labor later... (not warranty coverable, as spark plugs are wear items) And even though Ford has two TSBs on the spark plugs, the execs I've written letters to refuse to acknowledge the problem and reimburse me for the labor.

But it's been a great truck otherwise: great ride, good gas mileage, good power, and quiet.

If anyone knows who to contact about the spark plugs to get my money back, tell me! :) Ford has stopped returning my letters.

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
I will laugh my ass off when your new import blows up. NEWS FLASH ---- They have issues also.

figment521

Established Member
Look man I been fixing car for a living for the last 10 year, and all make have problems. Some people love Chevy's others Dodge, a lot of us are partial to Ford's, and yes some people really do like imports. All of them have problems; some big and some small. All you can do is look in to what you are thinking of buying and pick what you feel is best for you.

DayzofBliss00

Established Member
I bought an Expedition a while back with 54k on it and as far with the motor only put an alt,starter, and battey in it. Had the trans rebuild but that was due to a bad bushing by the driveshaft which was shaking for a while but i thought it was something else(which was my fault) but my wife drives the truck and it has 168k miles on it and it runs great. I hope my new F-150 runs as good. And my mustang the same way. I'll buy nothing but Ford. Sorry to hear about yours.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
go buy your imports and leave us alone

i'll let you come back when your wife's new car messed up. Like my friends toyota camry that threw a rod through the side of the block at 100k heh.

I hate to tell you this, but mechanical things, no matter who they are made by, fail.

My parents F350 has 280k and my uncle's neighbor's F150 has 200k....original motor and trans untouched on both.

LOUS150

Established Member
Sorry bout your luck with the dealer but the only truck i will buy is a ford, i had a 1996 brand new sold it in 2002 with 56000 miles on it and the only thing it ever needed was a throttle cable and a set of tires. Truck was awesome, now i have had my 05 fx4 screw since new for 4 yrs and it has 37000 miles on it and no problems, and yes i still leave instructions at oil change time to treat like its mine not there's well good luck on your next truck but ford is still the best. By the way ford didn't take any bail out money

chip moore

Established Member
My super crew has 215k still gets 16mpg original running gear, the L has 118k, my uncle has 3 ford work vans with 4.6's in them, one has 256k, one has 325k, the other has 401k, all factory running gear. Modular motors are the s##t in my book!!!! I'm Blue Oval till I die.

Users who are viewing this thread