Done with FORD

silvercoffin

Established Member
My wonderful 2004 F 150

Week Two of ownership the power steering went bad. Dealership fixed it under warrenty but the steering always made a creaking sound when you first turned on the truck and started steering then would go away.

A few months later the truck went into nuetral on the highway. I called the dealership but it would always go away and they said they couldnt help me.

Back window starting rattling terribly. Apprently there was a "TSB" on that so they fixed it kind of.

Over the years the truck went into neutral three times on the highway and only manually shifting into 2nd would keep it going. Finally at 35000 I took it in and complained but it wouldnt do it for the dealership so they couldnt help me.

Water started pouring in from around the back fixed window. The seal around the third brake light had gone bad causing this.

three years later my PARKING brake (that I rarely use) seized up and ford refused to cover the parking brake under extended warrenty.

The moonroof started leaking and the dealership never had their "window guy:" look at it but they concluded it was because on drain was partially clogged or because of the seal around the third brake light! (the one i had to remind them ) they had already fixed. I paid $100 to have them blow air through the drains and now since they took apart the fender to get to the drain there is a rattle sound from the fender you can hear in the truck at idle.

I also asked the dealership to listen for a bad rattle sound that happened every time I started the truck cold and sometimes hot to. They heard the noise but said it went away to fast to diagnose.

I think the moonroof is still leaking...

AND THE GRAND FINALE!!!!

at 105,000 miles the trans....you remember... the one that occasionally went into neutral on the highway went bad. I was told that the torque converter and pump were bad and that repairs would cost only a little less than a reman trans with a 100,000 warrenty. I took it to a trans shop to have this confirmed and was tolld the same. I called Ford to see if they would do something for me and of course the would do nothing even though it was documented by the dealrship that I had issues with the trans when the truck had 35000 miles on it.

New trans works great and all rattle sounds are gone. Now after spending $3000 i am left wondering if the dealership even bothered to try and diagnose the bad rattle sound that was coming from the truck...since it disappeared with the new trans that was most likely the cause of it.

NO MORE FORDS for me and actually no more American cars. I am looking at Nissan, Toyota, and Honda for me wife who needs a car next.

I know that you can get unlucky with any car and things are always going to break eventually. I think my experiences are a bit extreme. And I havent even bothered mentioning my three mustangs or the fact that I bought a brand new trans for my cobra and that still cant get down the 1/4 mile and get through the gears after years of running 11s and with a new trans.

No more fords ever. Even my a relative of mine who is against all things foreign...including people lol.... got talked into a toyota tundra and loves it. 40000 miles so far and not one problem..

My Volvo 300,000 miles on original trans and motor and was still running well when i sold it...and i wish i didnt.

Or how about all those Toyota Camrys out there going well over 200,000 with no problems...

SCREW bailing out American Car companies... they ALL SUCK.. Max profit for mininum product.

WVUAnt

Lets Go!!.....
Established Member
This was such a waste of my time reading. Do us all a favor...go buy your import and go find a new site too.

Last edited:

silvercoffin

Established Member

I used to get really angry when people would come on a Ford Forum and say bad things about mustangs. I was a patriotic ford loyalist! So I actually understand how you feel about my comments. But my experiences have changed my feelings about buying American cars and about the status of our American Car companies. (our tax dollars bailing them out)

One could even argue whether Ford is American. When my idler pulley snapped in half on my cobra i noticed they are made in Canada and most of the parts are made in other countries.

THERE actually was a question i meant to ask someone with mechanical experience.

SHOULD THE DEALER HAVE BEEN ABLE TO TELL THAT THE WEIRD RATTLING SOUND THAT THEY SAID THEY HEARD WAS CAUSED BY THE TRANS OR BAD TORQUE CONVERTOR?

Really bothers me that all the weird noises i complained about under warrenty went away after I paid for a new trans.

convert03cobra

Established Member
Don't let one lemon ruin your experience with ford. I have a F150 2004, same as yours and never had a single issue with it. Has 57K miles and runs great. Your biggest problem was the POS dealer you dealt with. Sometimes you just need to be a giant assho1e to get them to fix your vehicles.

silvercoffin

Established Member

Thanks for your words of encouragment..

I am just really frustrated. And feel ripped off.

It hasnt been one experience for me though.

The other really frustrating thing is how shady the dealerships are...not just this one but all three have done business with since getting into Fords. Anytime one of the dealers fixed something there was something else wrong.

Before I offend someone else...im sure the same can be said for toyota dealerships. I need to find someone I trust to work on my cars.

The reason I went back to ford this time originally was because of the TSB on the 2004 F 150 spark plugs. I thought that the engine was running rough. I didnt realize it was the trans at first. I found out that people are snapping off the plugs trying to get them out and that there is a tsb specific to the 04 f-150 on this issue. I wanted a dealership to handle changing plugs. I was already pissed off that I was doing that.. I know how to change plugs and should be able to do it myself you know?

Ahhhhh

ok ill stop but for me it has been one crazy thing after another with three stangs and now the "World toughest" lol

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Don't let one lemon ruin your experience with ford. I have a F150 2004, same as yours and never had a single issue with it. Has 57K miles and runs great. Your biggest problem was the POS dealer you dealt with. Sometimes you just need to be a giant assho1e to get them to fix your vehicles.

+1
I also have a 04 F-150 w/67K and zero issues!Also a bunch at work w/100K.

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
Thanks for your words of encouragment..

I am just really frustrated. And feel ripped off.

It hasnt been one experience for me though.

The other really frustrating thing is how shady the dealerships are...not just this one but all three have done business with since getting into Fords. Anytime one of the dealers fixed something there was something else wrong.

Before I offend someone else...im sure the same can be said for toyota dealerships. I need to find someone I trust to work on my cars.

The reason I went back to ford this time originally was because of the TSB on the 2004 F 150 spark plugs. I thought that the engine was running rough. I didnt realize it was the trans at first. I found out that people are snapping off the plugs trying to get them out and that there is a tsb specific to the 04 f-150 on this issue. I wanted a dealership to handle changing plugs. I was already pissed off that I was doing that.. I know how to change plugs and should be able to do it myself you know?

Ahhhhh

ok ill stop but for me it has been one crazy thing after another with three stangs and now the "World toughest" lol

Sorry to hear about your problems with your Ford. I'm sure all manufacturers have problems.
Did you buy your truck used? Maybe the previous owners had problems and dumped it.
If you ever decide to buy another Ford, pm me and I would be happy to give you an X plan discount if it would save you any money off your purchase.

Better luck on whatever next vehicle you buy.

****EDIT*****

rereading it seems you bought it new. From my experience the dealership will determine the kind of experience you'll have when it comes to repairs. I now go to a local Mom & Pop Ford dealer (very small) that goes out of their way to make sure whatever concerns I have are taken care of.

Last edited:

silvercoffin

Established Member

Yeah i bought it new.

Wait until you have to change your spark plugs at 100,000 miles.. Good luck getting them out.. Ford admits messing that up but you will pay to have them changed or to tow you truck after you break a few off in the head.

Really killing me that head turning rattle (that the dealer noted but could not diagnose) at start up went away with the new trans.

I hope the truck lasts another 100k now without serious work because im broke...new house...new trans...

I'm done bitching... lol

Last edited:

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
i've heard those plugs are indeed a nightmare to change.
i bought my 2001 explorer brand new from the local huge Ford dealership that had the huge showroom, huge service department etc....they told me if i ever need service they would take care of me and blah, blah, blah.
about 1 year after i bought it i took it back because both headlamps had moisture/water in them. i literally fought with them for an hour with them telling me this was totally normal. and there were other horrible experiences with that same dealership.
i ended up going to the little mom & pop Ford dealership and i asked the service rep about my headlamps, he yells over to the parts guy; "hey Mike order 2 headlamps for a 2001 explorer" i said "do you want to see the car?" and he said "i can if it will make you feel better"
and this is how the rest of my experiences have been with them. so now i only buy cars from them, they don't have much of a selection on their lot (since they're small) but they get me whatever i want.
i wish you could deal with them!

STR8JAKT

Tis but a Scratch
Established Member
I have an 05 lariat that i bought new and now has just over 50k on it. I hate to say it but what a P.O.S., nothing major like you but a whole bunch of issues that drive me nuts. Been to several ford dealers and they have some of the worst service department in the land. My next truck will not be a ford

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
One of my employees bought his 2004 F-150 brand new (he was working for me at the time then too) and has never had it back for any service ever. Tires, oil, brakes is all it has needed. 100k and he tows and works it. 4x4 BTW. Sorry you had a bad experience.

silvercoffin

Established Member

Yeah I would love to find a dealership that was good and would keep my business. I have bought cars and tried service at three here in NJ and had questionable experiences with both.

The one I bought my truck from was good to me with my mustang years ago..i thought. I also liked how they gave me free rental car even though I didnt buy it from them. Over the past four years they must have cut back on free loaners because even though I spent $3k on my trans they insisted all their loaners were out and pointed me towards enterprise.

I am bringing my wife to RT 1 Sansone auto mall here in NJ this friday to look at toyotas and nissans. I would like to hangout at the service center and listen to what I hear customers saying. Interview the dealership LOL
Only reason im going to this place really is because they have a huge selection of cars and brands.

Stage2Roush2002

Established Member
You just have to search for a good dealership. I have had tons of problems with my '06 FX4, (transmission slippage, motor windows went out, ect) I took it to Prestige Ford and they stated that nothing was wrong and they couldn't fix anything. I didn't question them, I just drove straight to the next dealership, North Central Ford where they fixed everything, totaling around $2,750. All covered by warranty.

It is not just Ford that is going to act that way, all dealerships are like that. They want to spend the least amount of money possible repairing vehicles under warranty.

One could even argue whether Ford is American. When my idler pulley snapped in half on my cobra i noticed they are made in Canada and most of the parts are made in other countries.

This is common with all vehicles. For example, the "European" BMW cars are manufactured in Mexico and the SUVs are manufactured in Alabama.

Last edited:

svt4cobra6

You have run into some bad luck. I purchased a 2000 f150 used with 60k miles, previous owner had no problems and I have had no problems the year I have owned it. Still runs and drives like new. Also have an 03 cobra, it did have several minor problems (TOB, Radio went out, Seat belt replaced) all fixed for free by an excellent service department and I was always given a free rental.

WVUAnt

Lets Go!!.....
Established Member
If you change the plugs a little earlier...say 75,000 miles, the come out fine as long as you follow the TSB. One thing I always find intriguing about these " I have had XXX problems" is that there is never any mention of regularly scheduled maintenance. One final note, if Ford built such a POS truck, why do they sell 400,000+ every year? If you honestly believe that Toyota builds a better truck than Ford, go for it...its your $30K.

The only problem I have with my 05 Lariat is the actuator froze stuck 2 weeks ago when we had freezing rain. 50,000 plus miles.

Last edited:

silvercoffin

Established Member

I know it is common in all cars to have foreign parts/suppliers, but America has become notorious for always finding the cheapest and making that a priority that outweighs quality by far. It's the "American Way" and a large part of why our economy is in the condition it is in. Thats why our toys are poisining our children! LOL

Hey dont take it so personally. I posted to vent my frustrations and experiences and because I feel like I got ripped off... by the dealer maybe but I still consider that ford. I'm not one of these kids with a giant spolier on the back of my Honda coming on here making stuff up to piss off the domestic crowd.

I have always been a proud Mustang owner racing in Englishtowns Street Wars every year! (until my cobra stopped shifting right) lol but at least i can change my own plugs in that.

The F-150 plugs dont call for a change until 100,000 according to the manual. The TSB is unsafe for people who arent mechanically inclined imop... and sometimes they still break and if you dont have the right tools forget about getting them out. Most of the time there isnt enough thread left to retap them either. (from what i have read online)

I did all the required maintenance. According to the dealership its hit or miss. They say they have seen trannys go at 30,000 or never.

I'm not sure what trans slip is in an auto exactly but my trans was always "loose" you would hear occasional clunks if you got off and then back on the gas. With this new trans the truck feels better than it ever did before.. It feels Tighter. I think something was always wrong but didnt complain enough i guess. I

I am sick of complaining about my fords.

Good luck to every one changing out those plugs in your 04 f-150s and i hope your trannys last longer than mine did.

Stage2Roush2002

Established Member
I know it is common in all cars to have foreign parts/suppliers, but America has become notorious for always finding the cheapest and making that a priority that outweighs quality by far. It's the "American Way" and a large part of why our economy is in the condition it is in. Thats why our toys are poisining our children! LOL

I completely agree. We are always looking for the cheap way out.

On a different topic, I think the Chinese know what they are putting in those toys and doing it on purpose. Think about it.

ff500

Established Member
Google Toyota recalls, they have had more recalls than any American made car in the last 3 years, if you search even futher back than 3 years its worse and they also don't disclose all of their recall info.They've actually recalled more cars than they've sold in the US. So Good luck with that Tundra.

Last edited:

rkomo

Herro, Mr. Itabashi here
Established Member
This was such a waste of my time reading. Do us all a favor...go buy your import and go find a new site too.

Exactly. Go drink the Jap Kool-Aid like all the other "A to B" destination-people have a good life. Anyone who goes & buys a Non-American brand car right now is useless...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread