Dominican Republic, Who's been?

Kel

Established Member
Honeymooned in the DR '03 and went back in the mid 2010's a couple more times kid in tow. Resorts are decent, not sure if it's just you/wife or kids? Either way they have options for resorts with onsite water parks - we did a couple of those, I believe it was the Royalton. We did a few excursions as well, riding horses on the beach - got a corny bottle of rum with a picture of us on the label, rode 4 wheelers through the countryside out to the beach and back. Didn't feel unsafe, I will say outside the resort it was VERY poor...2 pieces of roofing leaning together with chickens running around for a "house", etc. Definitely budget friendly and a close bus ride from the airport (Punta Cana) vs say Riviera Maya in Mexico (an hour).

I would 2nd Aruba, especially if you like to dive. There's an old ship, I think from WWII vintage, sunk off the coast in ~90 feet of water that's a popular dive area (usual fish types and some harmless sharks). The water there was clear and plenty of colorful undersea wildlife. Definitely more expensive but one of those "you get what you paid for" type differentials. Safer area, excursion options, downtown is like a Netherlands postcard (building decor/color) with a beach background.

We're looking at a vacation around the Caribbean this Christmas season, the only drawback is trying to figure out what each country requires for CV19 tests, proof of vaccinations, quarantine rules, etc as they're always changing. That and the issue with rebookings on planes due to staffing shortages, and the usual travel "issues" that go along with it.

Best of luck on your decision!

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I wouldn't bring my girl to the DR. I would go there looking for a chic to hook up with but its a poor violent country and I see no need to go to a shit-hole like that for a nice beach!

There are nice beaches everywhere that are safe! Granted, the women there are beautiful and if I was looking to go somewhere to hook-up that would surely be on my short list but it would be on my long list if I was taking a GF there.

There is nothing to see outside of the resort other than slums and beggars. I dated a Dominican girl and even she didnt want to go there on vacation smh. And she lived there till she was 15.

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
Been to the Now Larimar twice.

Stay in the resort, unless you go on a tour that is chaperoned. For us, the best part was just being on the beach (sometimes they have way too much seaweed), or at the pool. If you are going to relax, it is a nice trip. The food was "good" at Now Larimar. Not bad, very edible, but no meal was great.

E

Adower

Established Member
We stayed at a diamond resort there. I believe we flew into Sousa. All I can say is that it is poor as can be outside of the resort. You’ll see like 6 people on scooters as a taxi, 10-15 people in a minivan with no doors, people washing their scooters with sewer water.

When we drove into the resort there were guys in hummers with those big machine guns on top. That right there tells you something.

Don’t leave the resort without being chaperoned. All eyes will definitely be on you if you do, and it’s not a comfortable feeling.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Been to DR a couple times and would return.

Check your passport status though, we have a trip booked for Jamaica on Oct 9th. Found out yesterday that they will not allow anyone in that has a passport that expires within 6 months. Of course my daughters expires in January and can't be "renewed" because she is only 7 and it is considered a "new" passport which takes 12-18 weeks currently. Not sure if DR has the same passport rules right now.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Found out yesterday that they will not allow anyone in that has a passport that expires within 6 months.

I think that's pretty typical. Ran into that myself the last time I went international. I recall bitching and saying "why tell me it's good for 10 years when it's shot after 9.5." Have no fear. Just pay the extra $$$ and they'll expedite it! AKA they won't leave it on the bottom of the pile for an entire 12-18 weeks, but it'll still take at least a month. Moving at the speed of government. Don't bother trying to take the new passport photo yourself either. Just wasting time because they're almost sure to reject every pic you give them. I got shot down twice before I went over to Walgreen's.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I think that's pretty typical. Ran into that myself the last time I went international. I recall bitching and saying "why tell me it's good for 10 years when it's shot after 9.5." Have no fear. Just pay the extra $$$ and they'll expedite it! AKA they won't leave it on the bottom of the pile for an entire 12-18 weeks, but it'll still take at least a month. Moving at the speed of government. Don't bother trying to take the new passport photo yourself either. Just wasting time because they're almost sure to reject every pic you give them. I got shot down twice before I went over to Walgreen's.

Been traveling abroad with a passport for years and have never heard of this, I guess just lucky it never effected us at the airport lol. I'm glad we know better now. We looked into expediting and there is nothing guaranteed to get it any earlier than 6 weeks, we travel in 7.

Trip is now postponed, we're now booked for a trip on the Gulf coast of Florida.

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member
If you’re having issues getting a passport within the quoted window or are really in a bind, contact your congressman’s office. I had to do that back in ‘07 when it was past the quoted period of when I’d get it and my congressman’s office got it to me expedited within a week.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
I set a reminder in my calendar 9 years from when I get my passport. Sort of weird to get a reminder from that long ago.

We do have the global entry cards also, so that gets us TSA prechecked. Go through lines quicker etc etc.

Move on, nothing to see here.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My brother has been to Aruba several times. He said we should go, but we've ben so happy with Grand Cayman that we never felt the need. Anyway, my brother said the same as you guys, great place, good diving. My wife looked at it, but couldn't find anything we could trade into right now.
I've never been to Grand Cayman, but if I had to choose between there (my brother has gone) and Aruba, I'd pick Grand Cayman. Definitely!

dunndeal

Established Member
All good info guys. Thanks.

The resort we're looking at is Secrets Cap Cana. Never heard of it myself. I'm a diver, so I'd like to get in the water, but I don't see much offered in the way of dive trips.

Keep the opinions coming.

Move on, nothing to see here.

If you're a diver I would check out Cozumel.
DR is on the same island as Haiti, the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere, not to mention they just had a 7.2 earthquake in Haiti.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Too late, we booked DR. Been to Cozumel and loved the diving, but it seems like every time we've been to Mexico, we get nickeled and dimed to death, or they try running a scam on you.
Case in point. Our last trip to Mexico was Cabo San Lucas. The dive shop was across the street from the resort. We booked with them and had great dives. When it came time to pay, they said they'd give us a discount for cash. We gave them cash. An hour later, they called our room and told us they miscalculated and it was going to be more money. When my wife told them to pound sand, they started in with the sob story that no one would get a Christmas bonus now. And this is not an isolated incident. Seems to happen every time we go there. Needless to say, we don't go to Mexico any more.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
If you're a diver I would check out Cozumel.
DR is on the same island as Haiti, the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere, not to mention they just had a 7.2 earthquake in Haiti.

We traveled to DR February 2010, one month after the last big earthquake in Haiti. As far as the Dominican goes, if you didn't hear about it before you went, you'd never even know there was one.

ziggity

Established Member
Been to punta cana multiple times and all good experiences, food was good beaches are nice. If you just want somewhere to go have a drink and relax its hard to beat for the price.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
My co-worker went there
Married a girl he met in the week he was there.
Now he works a lot of overtime. She's expensive

Users who are viewing this thread