Doing M122 swap on my 01 Cobra

BigEag205

Established Member
As the title says, I'm in the middle of doing a 07 GT500 m122 blower swap on my 01 Cobra. I have 2013 55lb GT500 injectors on their way (I'm well aware they are shorter than 03-04) as well as a C&L intake for it. On the hunt for 03-04 cobra hat and Ford GT pumps also.

CobraEngineering fabricates a throttle body spacer to match which ever throttle body you'd like to use. This being said, I plan on upgrading to a 2013+ TVS charger next season or so but I'm just tring to get her back on the road for now. With a pulley, will a factory 03-04 cobra TB be extremely limiting or would I be able to get by with it for the time being until I upgrade and have more funds to spend on an aftermarket TB? I planned on going big the first time but other obligations have arisen like always and it'll have to wait.

Also, can I use my factory 01 MAF on this swap or do I need an 03-04, lightning maf or GT500 maf?

watman02

Established Member
Ur stock maf is a 80mm and it wont have the range u need u need at least a Lmaf or bigger or a mafia to get the range im using a Lmaf and im seeing 989maf counts at the top of 3rd and 4th gear max it reads is 1023.

Jamie R.

Established Member
Im sure he was meaning a 01-04 90mm lightning maf when he said Lmaf and I'm sure you might also need a mafia with the lightning 90mm maf.

Jamie R.

01yellercobra

Established Member
For what you'd spend on an LMAF and MAFia you could get an aftermarket MAF. I'm a big fan of the slot style MAFs.

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
The cobra MAF + MAFia is good for over 700rwhp and probably a pretty good way to go. On my 2.3 whipple car I was making 514 at 16psi with the factory ported 04 cobra throttle body on a very conservative mustang dyno so for what your doing that would probably be the cheapest way to get the job done.

BigEag205

Established Member
I'm thinking the gt500 07-10 I believe maf. The 11+ run off frequency. They're slot style but it should be fine to tune on shouldn't it? They seem to be going for around 100. I have an act tuner and that's what my tuner (Blankenship) uses so idk if the MAFia would work. I'm completely new to this though so I have no clue. I've owned boosted cars before but have never switched an NA car to boost

BigEag205

Established Member
Also the 04 cobra lower intake isn't fitting between my 01 heads. I'm assuming I have to cut/trim the part of the head that allows the knob on the lower intake gasket to line up? I can seem to get either the front or the back part of the intake to slide down but never both

Edit: finally found a useful thread on using the 04 cobra lower intake on teksid blocks and 01 cobra heads. I DO need to cut the bosses and tabs for it to fit. An L fitting on the bottom of the intake with a smaller amount of threads is also required for clearance. It's referenced as part number "EDELMANN 731660". Cutting the bosses for the knock sensors leaves me without being able to use the sensors I believe...is this OK when it comes tune time? I'm assuming the 03-04 blocks don't have hem since you don't have to do this modification or they're just somehow located differently?

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
The GT500 MAF will be fine. I picked up the adapter from VMP so it was plug and play.

Did you grind down the knock sensors mounts?

BigEag205

Established Member
Not yet. When I do will I just not plug the knock sensors in or what? Are the knock sensors not required for tuning? I've heard they're a cheap and easy way of tuning a car just relying on those but not sure if they're required or not. If I just delete them I'm sure it'll throw a code, will that be able to be tuned out?

v8venomgt

Established Member
i just had 2 FGT fuel pumps pulled out of my 08 bullitt. i went to a gt500 fuel system. my car was going a little bit lean on the big end but we werent sure why but my tuner highly recommended i go to the gt500 pumps. anyway, if youre interested i am looking to sell off my FGT pumps. 145 shipped for the 2 if youre interested shoot me a pm and i can get you a few pictures of what i have.

BigEag205

Established Member
I have somebody that'll sell 2 pumps and a hat for 220 but don't really wanna pay more than 2 without the sending unit. Also, would the GT500 pumps fit an 03-04 hat? You'd think the GO pumps would have more oomf to them

01yellercobra

Established Member
Not yet. When I do will I just not plug the knock sensors in or what? Are the knock sensors not required for tuning? I've heard they're a cheap and easy way of tuning a car just relying on those but not sure if they're required or not. If I just delete them I'm sure it'll throw a code, will that be able to be tuned out?

Just leave them out and have them turned off in the tune. The blower causes false knock. That's one of the reasons the 03/04's don't have them. I haven't had my sensors for a few years.

BigEag205

Established Member
Just leave them out and have them turned off in the tune. The blower causes false knock. That's one of the reasons the 03/04's don't have them. I haven't had my sensors for a few years.

Gotcha. Perfect. I'll get started on that hopefully tomorrow getting the lower intake in place!

watman02

Established Member
Fyi when I looked into slot maf's the gt500 maf is the same ford part number as the f150, taurus, gt mustang,...etc it just in a bigger or smaller tube.
Yes when I say lmaf I mean lighting 90mm mafs. I personally would use a mafia I would get a better maf luke a sct BAxxxx or slot style. I found "gt500" oem slot mafs at local junk yards for 20$

BigEag205

Established Member
I read in one of the threads that even when in the same sized tube, the GT500 MAF measured about 10% better than the GT MAF?

I'm pretty sure I found that they have different part numbers...could you please post your source watman02?

I believe I'm just going to go with a GT500 MAF anyways over the MAFia's and all that.

Will GT500 pumps fit in my 01 cobra hat or am I better off going Ford GT pumps?

BigEag205

Established Member
sorry for the late reply...for some reason my MAC is slowly making using the internet a PITA. It no longer works with photobucket and now when I'm on SVTP, I can scroll throw all the threads and everything but can't type replys for some reason. The Quick reply box isn't lit up and even when I click post reply to go to its own designated page I can't type anything, smh! VERY frustrating!

GhostRiderblk

GhostRider
Established Member
I read in one of the threads that even when in the same sized tube, the GT500 MAF measured about 10% better than the GT MAF?

I'm pretty sure I found that they have different part numbers...could you please post your source watman02?

I believe I'm just going to go with a GT500 MAF anyways over the MAFia's and all that. Up

Will GT500 pumps fit in my 01 cobra hat or am I better off going Ford GT pumps?

The gt and gt500 mafs have the same range despite the part numbers. Also give the same signal I believe. I am unsure of the gt500 pumps but I think the super car pumps are ok. I used lethal performance 340 pumps with great success made over 630 with 2 of them stock return less system. Fpdm upgrade in my mach

Users who are viewing this thread