Dog recieves congressional medel of honor

spytek

Established Member
This is absolutly amazing, you'll love this story.

"The K9 above is Brutus, a military K9 at McChord. He's huge - part Boxer and part British Bull Mastiff and tops the scales at 200 lbs. His handler took the picture. Brutus is running toward me because he knows I have some Milk Bone treats, so he's slobbering away! I had to duck around a tree just before he got to me in case he couldn't stop, but he did. Brutus won the Congressional Medal of Honor last year from his tour in Iraq. His handler and four other soldiers were taken hostage by insurgents. Brutus and his handler communicate by sign language and he gave Brutus the signal that meant 'go away but come back and find me'. The Iraqis paid no attention to Brutus. He came back later and quietly tore the throat out of one guard at one door and another guard at another door. He then jumped against one of the doors repeatedly (the guys were being held in an old warehouse) until it opened. He went in and untied his handler and they all escaped. He's the first K9 to receive this honor. If he knows you're ok, he's a big old lug and wants to sit in your lap. Enjoys the company of cats."

Last edited:

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
Another animal that is better than me. Great. :smmon:

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
That's ****ing insane. I wonder how he got so big seeing that most Bullmastiff males are 160lbs or less and boxers are tiny by comparison. Nevertheless, that's incredible.

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
Too bad someone would make up a story like that. It takes away from the real stories of soldiers and dogs and their service in the military. The following is an absolutely true story, though not a dog hero story:

About 20 years ago, some guy came over to my house to see one of the two guys I had rented rooms out to. I don't know who the guy was. Never saw him before or after. But this guy had a stack of black and white photos that were the size of printer paper and he was showing them to us. Each photo was taken by a war time photographer during WWII on some island in the Pacific theater. I do not remember which island. Also, each photo had a brief discription typed on the back of it. Some of the photos were quite graphic, but not all. Some were of just American GIs.

For what ever reason, the guy left the photos at my house where they sat on a shelf for months. When I eventually moved, they ended up in a box and moved with me. Perhaps a year or so later, as I was trying empty the last of the boxes of stuff (I can be a pack rat at times) and trying to organize it or get rid of it, I came across the photos. As I looked through them again, I decided that these photos must be important to someone and shouldn't be just thrown away.

One picture in particular was of a guy and his military dog, which I believe was a doberman. The dog was sitting and the soldier/handler was knelling beside him with his arm around the dog and smiling back up at the camera. On that back of that photo was the typical few sentences of typed description, except this one actually had the soldiers name and home town on it.

On a lark, I called information and asked if there was anyone by that name listed in that town. There wasn't, but there were a few listings with the same last name, so I called one. If figured if the soldier had passed away, maybe his family would want the photo of him. When I called, I found myself on the phone with this lady who said she was his daughter. I explained what I had, and why I was calling. She listened but I'm certain she thought I must have been some nut job, as she was very cautious and revealed almost no information to me, but politely took my name and phone number. I never expected to hear anything back, but a few days later I received a call.

The soldier was still alive. He had survived the war. He knew which photo I was talking about since a small poor resolution image of it had made it into his hometown paper during the war. That was the only one he'd seen since his family had cut it out and saved it in a scrapbook. He told me how he loved that dog and how that dog loved him. He told me a little of what they did together, but I didn't press him for details of combat. I sensed that it was a deep and emotional subject. He cried as he told me that not more than 15 minutes after that picture had been taken, the marine photographer who took his picture was shot and killed by a sniper.

I got his address and mailed him the photographs. His daughter later called me and gave me the warmest thanks and told me how happy her father was to receive those photographs.

I don't think I've thought about that in 10 years until now. And remembering it makes me still feel the awe and respect for that man and his dog and their service to our country.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread