does x-psi = x-psi?

[iSEPIC]

Damn Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
Just curious, and I did a search w/ no results... but

does 1psi of no2= 1psi of supercharger = 1psi from a turbo?

I know each one has its own "robbing of power", the blower being the most inefficienent. but if I say I'm running 10 psi of either of the three, not taking in consideration of the power it takes to create it using s.c. or turbo, is it virtually the same?

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Nitrous isn't measured by PSI it's measured in the amount of HP you get by using a set amount of nitrous. You have different sizes of nozzle's if you will that allow a set amount of nitrous to be sprayed at one time. The PSI you are probably thinking about refers to bottle pressure. You want the bottle pressure to be just right so that you get the actual amount of spray that your system is setup for. Meaning that if you have a big 250 nozzle and you have a cold bottle you aren't actually going to spray enough nitrous to reach your nozzles amount. However, if you have a warm bottle and the bottle PSI is up you will reach the set amount for your nozzle.

Now back to the super/turbo charger difference. Usually turbo's make more power than super chargers at a given PSI but turbo's run very hot and will need a intercooler. So it's hard to compare the two on an even playing field. If you intercool both and have the same manifold PSI they will be pretty close so then it comes down to matching the size of the turbo/super charger to the car. For instance, if you take a Novi1000 and run it at 8 PSI you will probably make more HP than if you run a Novi2000 at 8 PSI because the size in the blower. It's going to take a little more the spin the 2000. Samething with a turbo, if you have a T56 or similar sized turbo set at 8 psi you'll make more power over the RPM band than with a T100 because of the amount of time it takes to get the T100 spinning. There's a lot more that I can go into but you get the general idea.

Last edited:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Right, N2O has 'jet' sizes which dictate the 'amount' of hp, but really allow a certain amount of the n2o and/or fuel thru it. Bottle pressure is where its at though, since that really what operates the system. If you have low bottle pressure the nitrous isn't really going to be 'forced' out very much, thus you will get surging down the strip. IIRC bottle pressure should be 900-1100, depending on who you talk to.

Users who are viewing this thread