Does the TOB squeek horribly while driving

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
On the way home today I noticed a loud squeek that increased with RPMs. When I touch the clutch it is vibrating like mad. If I barely apply the clutch the squeek turns to a high pitched whistle. And if I push the clutch in all the way the noise goes completely away. No noise that I noticed at a stop. I also noticed, as I started off from a stop in 1st gear it jerked - kinda like I had the emergency brake on and it was catching.

Is this my TOB or clutch???

Damn - I just got my car out of the shop last Thursday... :(

351MachOne

Kicking Your Ass
Established Member
Take it back in... TOB is bad... Mine is going under tomorrow -- see post below.. =) For now.

B-O-B'03

Established Member
Mine started pulsating like that, right before it started making a clanking noise.
I had to have it flat bedded to Doug Stanley.

Better get it looked at quick.

-Brian

stangfan

When in doubt.. Floor it!
Established Member
Sounds like this is yet another 'common' problem with the '03... I'm currently on my 2nd TOB which going 'bad'. Squeak/squeal & a vibrating clutch pedal just like the 1st one.

Other than riding the clutch (which I do NOT do), what else could be wrong with the clutch kit/drive line that could be causing these things to 'malfunction' prematurely?

Cobra-R

Established Member
Unless the clutch is misadjusted, the tob shouldn't be doing anything with the clutch engaged (pedal released). This is wierd.

Last edited:

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Originally posted by B-O-B'03
Mine started pulsating like that, right before it started making a clanking noise.
I had to have it flat bedded to Doug Stanley.

Better get it looked at quick.

-Brian

Going BACK in today. I just got it out last Thursday for a leaking rear differential and a front end creak ... :(

StangD281

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra-R
Unless the clutch is misadjusted, the tob shouldn't be doing anything with the clutch engaged (pedal released). This is wierd.
My thoughts exactly.....

There have been stories of brake dust deposits & residue on the pads, which can cause the squealing sound. I've read that one before on here.

As for the clutch, did you manually readjust it yet? Put car in first, pull up on clutch as far as it will go, depress clutch, sidestep clutch. That will take up the slack in the cable...hopefully it might help.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Originally posted by StangD281
As for the clutch, did you manually readjust it yet? Put car in first, pull up on clutch as far as it will go, depress clutch, sidestep clutch. That will take up the slack in the cable...hopefully it might help.

Yes, I did try that again yesterday. This is something that came on suddenly. I have not had any problems before yesterday.

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
Your noise is a TOB. The cause is a bad bearing retainer on the front of the trans. The only fix is to replace the trans and clutch assembly. Ford knows of this problem. The only fix will be when the the bearing retainer is a serviceable part from ford and when the bearing retainer is made from a different material. The metal that the bearing retainer is made from is softer than what the TOB is made from. That is your squealing! Make sure when you take your car in they replace the trans and clutch assembly that is the only fix right now.

B-O-B'03

Established Member
Originally posted by SVTADVISOR
...Make sure when you take your car in they replace the trans and clutch assembly that is the only fix right now.

That's what they did on mine. Clutch, PP, TOB and tranny. Also drive shaft and a rear diff rebuild.

Second time for the clutch, PP, TOB, DS and diff re-build.

I think they should have replaced the flywheel too, the clutch has a shudder to it now. :(

-Brian

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Originally posted by B-O-B'03
That's what they did on mine. Clutch, PP, TOB and tranny. Also drive shaft and a rear diff rebuild.

Second time for the clutch, PP, TOB, DS and diff re-build.

I think they should have replaced the flywheel too, the clutch has a shudder to it now. :(

-Brian

My clutch has always had a bad shudder, but not it is violent and squeeks very loudly. If I press in on the clutch just a bit it turns from a squeek to a high pitched whistle. Well, it's in the shop now, guess I'll hear the verdict in a few days...

Friendchicken

I have a bad TOB also... the tranny and TOB is replaced together? When I asked my dealer about it they didn't say anything about ordering a new tranny...

Will's97

Established Member
Had the 03 clutch squeal when depressing the peddle. Took it to the dealer and also called SVT. The dealer replaced the clutch assembly with a part # 3R3Z-7B546-AA. SVT informed me that there is a new part # 3R3Z-7B546-AB available after July 3rd from the parts depo but my dealer could not find it any where. Could not get a exact answer about the changes but it seem that the peddle effort will be less with this new part. Does anyone know any more about the new part# and shoud I insist that the dealer put the new part # in my car? I would like it done right the first time and if the new part # is actually a fix for an old problem then I should wait.

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
If the bearing retainer is not replaced you will continue to have clutch noise and TOB failures. That new part is a new clutch assembly at this point I would wait to see if that will fix the problem. The key to fixing the TOB squeal is either a different TOB or the bearing retainer.

Will's97

Established Member
I should of said that the dealer was told to replace the TOB and the clutch assembly when they had the tranny out. I belive that they were both changed just in case there was something more than just the TOB and the car would not be back in to have the tranny pulled again. Yes I would also think that the redisign should be in the TOB or retainer. So does anyone know what exactly is the differance between the -AA and the -AB part #s?

Last edited:

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
I asked my parts guys they didn't know. The only thing i can think to do is compare them side by side when we get one.

Users who are viewing this thread