Does the Duratec and Zetec use same trannys?

Swazo

Established Member
I was wondering if anyone knows if the bellhousings and input shafts are the same on the transmissions used for the duratec and zetec's. If so, the new Focus SVT's 6-speed is too good to pass up IMO.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
as far as I know they do, but have different gear ratios

Swazo

Established Member
Since the Focus SVT has decent stock power output it might do. Rather then asking anymore queations, I'm stopping by one of the SVT dealers tomarrow and see if I can't get the info. I'll post my findings.

DemonSVT

The Mad Modder!
Established Member
NO. The zetec and Duratec do not use the same MTX-75.

The bellhousing is completely different as is the differential inside the tranny and the final drive gear.

Also the 6-speed in the SVT Focus is extremely weak. It would not hold up to stock SVT Contour power much less a modified one. That's also the reason the Focus RS (turbo version in Europe) comes with the MTX-75.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
thanks for the clarification Greg!!
Originally posted by DemonSVT

The bellhousing is completely different as is the differential inside the tranny and the final drive gear.

Also the 6-speed in the SVT Focus is extremely weak. It would not hold up to stock SVT Contour power much less a modified one. That's also the reason the Focus RS (turbo version in Europe) comes with the MTX-75.

Last edited:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Greg,

I was bored at work surfing and found this....it says the 3.4L V8, Duratech and Zetec share the same
]Taken From V8 SHO Article
The SHO V8 shares it's transmission bellhousing pattern with the 2.5 Duratech V6, which is also the same as the Zetec. One of the sweet things of the Zetec is that the bellhousing bolt pattern is "standard euro Ford" - the same that has been used on 4-cyls since the Kent/X-flow days. Any bellhousing that fits a Pinto or X-flow should also fit the Zetec. This means the SHO V8 works the same way.

Originally posted by DemonSVT

ZX2Down

Established Member
not all zetec trany's r the same, i cant put an svt focus tranny in my zx2, but i can put a zx3 or zx5 dtanny in w/ some alterations

DemonSVT

The Mad Modder!
Established Member
Ryan.

The Zetec & the Duratec most definitely have different bellhousings and use different transmissions.
Any & All year Contours & Mystiques.

Also like stated the Focus Zetec uses yet another different MTX bellhousing then other Zetecs do.

Users who are viewing this thread