Does Changing a S/C pulley require a new tune

1bad351

Established Member
Ok guys, I know this is a stupid basic question, but I'm fairly new to boost and messing with a buddies car he just picked up and we don't want to blow it apart. That being said this may seem crazy to some, but he would like to lower boost levels. Car is a 2006 GT with a 2.3 whipple on a stock long block (hence wanting to play it safe). Currently running a stock crank pulley and 3.5" s/c pulley. We have a 3.875" upper that came with the car we were thinking of throwing on. Can we do this without retuning the car safely or will that throw the current tune off?

From my research it seems like if you go bigger you have to retune the car, but if we're going smaller does that same rule apply or are we safe to go smaller?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
It'll probably run a little richer depending on big of a difference there is in boost. Does he have a wideband?

1bad351

Established Member
It'll probably run a little richer depending on big of a difference there is in boost. Does he have a wideband?
Absolutely no gauges in this car which blows my mind. Needless to say one will be going in either way. The first engine in the car got blown apart and they apparently changed the tune a little bit to make it "safe" but the supercharger pulley stayed the same size so I'm questioning that.

Users who are viewing this thread