Does anyone have coilovers on all four corners?

03cobrarocks

Established Member
Is anyone running coilovers on all four corners of their car?

I have coilovers up front and love the fact of being able to adjust the ride height. But wishing I could do the same with the back as it looks a little high now :(

Sure I could just get springs that would lower it more but then when I want to run 28's it wouldnt turn out so well.

Which leads me to my next question how are coilovers all around for straight line traction?

I guess another option would be lower adjustable control arms....

XD Adj. Rear Lower Control Arms, 1999-04, with swaybar mount [MMRLCA-33] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

I havent done any suspenion modding in a long time, anyone know which would be better for traction?

svtrookie

Established Member
Is anyone running coilovers on all four corners of their car?

I have coilovers up front and love the fact of being able to adjust the ride height. But wishing I could do the same with the back as it looks a little high now :(

Sure I could just get springs that would lower it more but then when I want to run 28's it wouldnt turn out so well.

Which leads me to my next question how are coilovers all around for straight line traction?

I guess another option would be lower adjustable control arms....

XD Adj. Rear Lower Control Arms, 1999-04, with swaybar mount [MMRLCA-33] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

I havent done any suspenion modding in a long time, anyone know which would be better for traction?

TTT...I want to know this as well!

Snake Plissken

Established Member
Like you I'm just running coilovers up-front. From what I've read 4 coils are better for a drag race only set-up. I'm running a 9" solid axle with MM upper & lower adjustable with QA-1 double adjustable shocks and Eibach drag springs with air bag. I can lower it (some) for a street tire and raise for my 28" M&H DR, I run a 28" tall 'cause I have 4:30 gears. The RPMs aren't crazy on the highway, I'm running a D&D viper spec T-56.

Last edited:

delvin.a

Established Member
^ Same here. The MM arms with a lowering spring get low enough to tuck the tire if I wanted, plenty of adjustment. The fact that the weight of the rear is held up by sheet metal concerns me some what. I've never really looked at it close but with MM selling a reinforcement piece for that area I shy'd away. I needed new control arms anyway so that played a roll as well.

I think the front is where most of the ride quality being superior comes from, I could be way off I've never researched it.

AMB

Established Member
MM Coilovers

I have run MM C/O's on all 4 wheels on by 03 Cobra for 10 years with "NO PROBLEMS" !!! Call MM, they will set you right on the track.

SlowSVT

Established Member
^ Same here. The MM arms with a lowering spring get low enough to tuck the tire if I wanted, plenty of adjustment. The fact that the weight of the rear is held up by sheet metal concerns me some what. I've never really looked at it close but with MM selling a reinforcement piece for that area I shy'd away. I needed new control arms anyway so that played a roll as well.

I think the front is where most of the ride quality being superior comes from, I could be way off I've never researched it.

Coilovers are not a great idea in this car without some shock tower reinforcement (welded-in gussets and a doubler top plate for the front). They are just not designed to carry the entire weight of the car.

Snake Plissken

Established Member
Coilovers are not a great idea in this car without some shock tower reinforcement (welded-in gussets and a doubler top plate for the front). They are just not designed to carry the entire weight of the car.

If your drag racing a lot and have the power to pull the front up I could understand this, but I've seen coilovers on street driven 99-04 new edges for many years and have yet to see any shock tower metal fatigue, not that it hasn't happened, I haven't seen every car with coilovers. Mine still looks good...

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
If your drag racing a lot and have the power to pull the front up I could understand this, but I've seen coilovers on street driven 99-04 new edges for many years and have yet to see any shock tower metal fatigue, not that it hasn't happened, I haven't seen every car with coilovers. Mine still looks good...

Back in the early days I.e. 98/98 I think it was, there were some serious issues with shock tower failure with coil overs. Particularly with the early Griggs set up. There were a fair number of on track incidents of the shock coming up through the tower. Griggs went back and redesigned their caster camber plates to make them beefier and solved the problem.

I have had the MM SET UP ON MY 04 s since I bought it in 06 with no issues and no signs of developing issues.

SlowSVT

Established Member

Take a front fenders off so you can see all the thin voided metal used in the fender aprons then look at the shock towers and compare the structure of the factory spring pockets on the K-member and the shock towers? Big difference. Many Mustangs are running around with coilovers but the stock metal structure is "marginal" at best. One guy on Corner Carvers posted the strut punched right thru the shock tower when his wife jumped a curb proving women and coilovers don't mix :nonono:

I would not run coilovers without beefing up the shock towers but that is just me.

03cobrarocks

Established Member
hmm Nice info in here... I wonder if beefing up the shock towers will help make bumps more bareable... I know k member and coilers are worse for pumps and potholes but holy crap sounds like my car is falling apart up there sometimes.

SlowSVT

Established Member
hmm Nice info in here... I wonder if beefing up the shock towers will help make bumps more bareable... I know k member and coilers are worse for pumps and potholes but holy crap sounds like my car is falling apart up there sometimes.

I don't think reinforcing the shock towers will have any effect on the ride quality other then perhaps some "creaks & pops". The sound you are hearing is likely the top of the shock tower "oil canning".

Here is a photo of my shock tower that have been beefed up using .050 thk4130 chromoly sheet

Cobrashocktowerreinforcement1.gif

Note "boxed" column inside the shock tower

Cobrashocktowerreinforcement2.jpg

I would not recommend anyone reinforcing the front shock towers to this extent or it will cause problems elsewhere. The main thing is to beef up the tower to handle the static load (weight of the car) which the cap on the top and the box column inside the tower should be more the adequate to bring the towers up to snuff.

Rear shock tower

Cobrashocktowerreinforcement3.jpg

The 2 gussets on either side of the rear shock tower and seam welding should make you good to go in the rear.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
One guy on Corner Carvers posted the strut punched right thru the shock tower when his wife jumped a curb proving women and coilovers don't mix :nonono:
:dw: :nonono:

I've been running KW Varient 3 coilovers, front and rear, on my 03 for 4+ years and love them. Before the KWs, I had the MM setup. The MM setup was noisier and rode a little rougher.

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
My car is a dd and I run mm on all 4, so far so good for the past yr I have had them

Last edited:

Snake Plissken

Established Member
Take a front fenders off so you can see all the thin voided metal used in the fender aprons then look at the shock towers and compare the structure of the factory spring pockets on the K-member and the shock towers? Big difference. Many Mustangs are running around with coilovers but the stock metal structure is "marginal" at best. One guy on Corner Carvers posted the strut punched right thru the shock tower when his wife jumped a curb proving women and coilovers don't mix :nonono:

I would not run coilovers without beefing up the shock towers but that is just me.

Nice fab work, if I take my car off the street I'll be doing the same.
It's like playing the lottery. You might win or go on for years losing.

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
I have the complete MM coil over front and rear. adjustible yes. they are designed to keep the car flat. hard braking, cornering and acceleration. your weight transfer is minimized as much as possible. my rears are adjustable valving, but I usually don't mess with them.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I have the complete MM coil over front and rear. adjustible yes. they are designed to keep the car flat. hard braking, cornering and acceleration. your weight transfer is minimized as much as possible. my rears are adjustable valving, but I usually don't mess with them.

Hah?

Users who are viewing this thread