Does anybody have any experience with Power Inverters?

Hurrycanestang

Established Member
I picked up an 800 watt power inverter from Lowes and am wondering if it will be enough to operate my Porter Cable? I tried using my household vacuum cleaner and it was just over 800 watts and kept shutting off. I live in an apartment downtown and don't have access to a power supply so this is the only idea I can think of. Thanks.

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
I have used power inverters for years to run laptops and printers in my company vehicles. I have not ever tried to use a pc from one though. Currently I have this harbor freight inverter and if I try to print something on a small hp printer it will shut it down every time. It does keep the laptop charged up without any problems though.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2000-watt-continuous4000-watt-peak-power-inverter-69662.html

Have you tried using the PC plugged in your inverter yet?

Last edited:

13BlackGT

Established Member
I have used the small shop vac hang up mini on a black and Decker 750 watt inverter. I think it's the 1hp and pulls 6 amps.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Id like to know this as well. I live in an apartment too and cant detail unless I make a trip to someones place. My fusion needs a quick once over to remove some really light swirls that have accumulated over the past year of so-so car wash places.

13BlackGT

Established Member
The inverter has peak watts and continuous watts. You divide watts by volts to get available amps. 800 watt is 6.6 amps at 120 volts and 66 amps at 12 volts. You can smoke your alternator and run your battery down real quick with a big inverter. I Googled a buffer and it pulls 4 amps. That should run fine on 800 watt if your engine is running
A small gasoline powered generator would be the best option

Users who are viewing this thread