Dodge Demon vs McLaren 720s (roll races)

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
It isnt rocket science...
93oct Demon= 130-135 traps

100oct Demon= 135-140 traps (140=perfect conditions)

Pump gas 720S= 140-145+ traps. Traps 140 in the middle of summer.

Just as the video shows, these two cars really aren’t even close.

89BIRD

Established Member
Sheesh folks. I'm not sure what point this thread is trying to make, but --
  • 720 on pump gas: 710HP & 3300lbs weight w/driver = 4.65 lbs/HP
  • Demon on pump gas: 808HP & 4500lbs weight w/drive = 5.57 lbs/HP
So once both cars are hooked up, we already know what's going to happen. And it's what does happen. In the same vein,
  • McLaren P1 on pump gas: 902HP & 3450lbs weight w/driver = 3.82 lbs/HP
which is why the P1 walks the 720 in a roll race.

That said, you'd never cross-shop a Demon and a McLaren 720 or P1. One's a comfy, roomy, softly-sprung, happy-to-daily-or-road-trip Supercharged America V8 musclecar with real space for 4 people + tons of luggage. The other's a lightweight supercar costing about four times (or 10X) as much, with a very strong powerplant, good ergonomics (for a supercar) and room for 2 + a carryon. Each has its merits, and I don't know anyone (including me) who owns both and would worry about comparing the two.

Well-spoken from someone whom likely has an IQ far north of any trap speed mentioned in this post. From someone with an IQ closer to the listed power to weight ratios, feel fortunate if you have the means to any of these fine automobiles and enjoy them for what they are...................but puzzling enough, why the **** would you compare a Demon to a McLaren?

Last edited by a moderator:

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
So once both cars are hooked up, we already know what's going to happen. And it's what does happen. In the same vein,
  • McLaren P1 on pump gas: 902HP & 3450lbs weight w/driver = 3.82 lbs/HP
which is why the P1 walks the 720 in a roll race.

That said, you'd never cross-shop a Demon and a McLaren 720 or P1. One's a comfy, roomy, softly-sprung, happy-to-daily-or-road-trip Supercharged America V8 musclecar with real space for 4 people + tons of luggage. The other's a lightweight supercar costing about four times (or 10X) as much, with a very strong powerplant, good ergonomics (for a supercar) and room for 2 + a carryon. Each has its merits, and I don't know anyone (including me) who owns both and would worry about comparing the two.

Quick question Ben, has anyone put a 720S against a P1 that you know of? I heard a rumor the 720 is a dead heat with the P1 in the real world.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Uhhh yes it matters and always has as cars don't drive themselves, well, besides GTRs. This same Demon got humiliated by a ZL1 and it proves he doesn't know how to drive it quite yet.

All Demons ship with an 808HP pump gas tune, not the race tune with skinnies that ran the 9 second 1/4 mile in perfect track conditions with a professional driver and tons of seat time.

Nothing to see here, just completely ignoring the specs of both cars which you erased when quoting me

So you basically misspoke. Twice. You keep saying "this is the same Demon" when you should be saying "driver." You make it sound like this particular car has issues that make it sub par to other Demons. Either way, how does driver experience play a part here? How the hell do you mess up roll races with an automatic car with drag radials?? Traction didn't appear to be an issue in any of the races.

I "ignored" the specs you stated because they basically don't matter, especially not the price. Isn't that what Hellcat and Demon owners do all the time? It doesn't matter if you're racing a lighter, equally (or more) powerful car because "fast shifting automatic"?

ArabianOak

Established Member
That drone footage though! HA!

As I have been saying, the demon on pump gas is hitting high 120's trap speed. The hellcat on pump gas was hitting low to mid 120's. My brother has a hellcat, it hits low 120's with a good launch.

Dodge is great at one thing...HYPE! McClaren vs Demon is like Bruce Lee coming into a fight with the school bully. On paper it looks like Bruce will get his ass kicked but once the fight starts LIGHTS OUT for the demon bully!

Yes, there is a huge price difference with the cars BUT McClarens become much cheaper after being one year old. I have looked at several.

Keep in mind dodge has commercials with the demon running 9's and popping wheelies. If your going to have commercials like that, people will expect some winning. So far we have seen very little of that! LOL. Matter of fact this green demon seems to be about 0-5 already. Maybe race an ecoboost mustang to gain confidence and find a more worthy opponent after? HAHA.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
.........but puzzling enough, why the f*&k would you compare a Demon to a McLaren?

The internet is a wonderul place where the collective minds of humans across the world, regardless of age, gender, or race, can engage in the transfer of knowledge and discussion of endless topics.

I guess Demon vs 720 falls somewhere in that realm.

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Quick question Ben, has anyone put a 720S against a P1 that you know of? I heard a rumor the 720 is a dead heat with the P1 in the real world.

I haven't seen a video of a P1 lining up with a 720s. I do know that my P1 ran 149 MPH in the 1/4 under completely average conditions, and under those same conditions the 720s runs 140-142 MPH. When I've driven the 720s, it was quick but not P1-level quick; that said, it does get off the line better than the P1.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I haven't seen a video of a P1 lining up with a 720s. I do know that my P1 ran 149 MPH in the 1/4 under completely average conditions, and under those same conditions the 720s runs 140-142 MPH. When I've driven the 720s, it was quick but not P1-level quick; that said, it does get off the line better than the P1.

I think the video(s) he's referring to are the ones that pit the 720S against the P1 around a track. Chris Harris recently did a comparo where the 720S was only 0.5 second behind the P1 around Spa(?). In a straight line, I don't think it would ever be a contest between the two.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I think mclaren is planning to make a 760LT. An LT version of the 720 series.
I can't stand how any of them look now. As far as I can tell the best looking Mclaren of recent years is the 675LT or the P1, I flip flop between the two.

Then they all changed and came out with the 540/570/720/Senna and I can't bring myself to like the way any of them look.

Not like I can afford any of them anyway lol.

Jefe

Established Member
So you basically misspoke. Twice. You keep saying "this is the same Demon" when you should be saying "driver." You make it sound like this particular car has issues that make it sub par to other Demons. Either way, how does driver experience play a part here? How the hell do you mess up roll races with an automatic car with drag radials?? Traction didn't appear to be an issue in any of the races.

I "ignored" the specs you stated because they basically don't matter, especially not the price. Isn't that what Hellcat and Demon owners do all the time? It doesn't matter if you're racing a lighter, equally (or more) powerful car because "fast shifting automatic"?
tenor.gif

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I think the video(s) he's referring to are the ones that pit the 720S against the P1 around a track. Chris Harris recently did a comparo where the 720S was only 0.5 second behind the P1 around Spa(?). In a straight line, I don't think it would ever be a contest between the two.

I could believe that they would be close. The 720S is 250 lbs lighter, which counts for a lot on the racetrack, and it has both better traction and better brakes. Against that the P1 has more downforce and GOBS of horsepower.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
I’ve never seen any real numbers for a P1. 149 trap in avg conditions is moving! Did it E.T. well?

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I’ve never seen any real numbers for a P1. 149 trap in avg conditions is moving! Did it E.T. well?

Decently - stock tires, no warmers or burnout, it ran high 9's. No doubt if we threw some ET streets on it and put on tire blankets, it would have launched much harder -- but that's not reflective of real-world performance.

blk02edge

Established Member
We had a mclaren day at our track not too long ago and they were getting considerably faster lap times with the 720s over the P1. All pro drivers
Screenshot_2018-01-13-19-36-04-1.png

C0bra99

Established Member

I totally agree, except Dodge decided to make these outlandish and hyped comments about being the fastest production car and stuff. IMHO that is why people are having so many issues with the Demon (Myself included).

Kiohtee

Established Member
Decently - stock tires, no warmers or burnout, it ran high 9's. No doubt if we threw some ET streets on it and put on tire blankets, it would have launched much harder -- but that's not reflective of real-world performance.

Ben gets it.

I, too, like running my cars the way you would catch me on the street. That's generally not with seats removed, a 1/4 tank of gas, etc. Hero runs are fun and show what a car can truly do, but are not generally representative of what you will run into on the daily.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Ben gets it.

I, too, like running my cars the way you would catch me on the street. That's generally not with seats removed, a 1/4 tank of gas, etc. Hero runs are fun and show what a car can truly do, but are not generally representative of what you will run into on the daily.
Dodge should have made those "fastest/quickest" claims with an asterisk saying on a well prepped track sporting the slicks and skinnies, running race gas.

The demon from a dig on the street will still have a hard time launching.

Users who are viewing this thread