Do you think insurance is a scam

Twisted2v

Established Member
Sometimes I think I’m the only one in California that has auto Ins. I’ve been hit 4 or 5 times by illegals so thank god for it. Home owner is only 1k a year and like others have already said you’re crazy not to have it. Health is mostly paid by employer for two more years until retirement. But probably the best is roadside, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to have the RV towed and that can cost a small fortune. But when it comes to earthquake ins. “TOTAL SCAM”

What happened to the illegals at fault?

Kevins89notch

Established Member
How do you justify insurance based off the person when it is all about how much it costs to repair a vehicle, not a person? Parts for your new Ram are going to be more than the parts for your old Civic and parts in general for a nicer vehicle are more expensive than of that for a cheaper vehicle. That is a huge part of how the pricing is factored.

So if I'm already paying for insurance on a sports car, like a Z06 worth 50K fair market...that's already way over the price of a 2010 civic, so there should be almost no extra charge to insurance a civic if I already have a z06. You would pay based on the more expensive vehicle.

blk02edge

Established Member
that assertion is patently false. the public pays for, and thusly owns, the road. we have a right to travel.
"but you don't have a right to a drive a car on that road" by way of necessity: yes I do.
You also own the air force's fleet of F22's, why not take one for a spin?

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
Pretty sure that's already been argued in front of the Supreme Court, and you are, in fact, wrong. The state is not required to grant you a license.

A. i would never argue that the state has the obligation to grant a license.
B. the supreme court has overturned over 200 of its own rulings so citing them as the authority on God given rights is a fundamentally flawed method of argumentation.

You also own the air force's fleet of F22's, why not take one for a spin?

false. those are not public property. they are airforce/federal govt property. also there are, lots of reasons to not want to fly a fighter jet.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
So if I'm already paying for insurance on a sports car, like a Z06 worth 50K fair market...that's already way over the price of a 2010 civic, so there should be almost no extra charge to insurance a civic if I already have a z06. You would pay based on the more expensive vehicle.
But the cost of the car is only part of it. The big part is how often that car is reported getting into accidents. Far more civics get into accidents then corvettes. So that’s why the price is what it is. I don’t remember if it’s still true but years ago an article came out saying it cost more to insure and evo 8 then it does a murcielago

blk02edge

Established Member
A. i would never argue that the state has the obligation to grant a license.
B. the supreme court has overturned over 200 of its own rulings so citing them as the authority on God given rights is a fundamentally flawed method of argumentation.

false. those are not public property. they are airforce/federal govt property. also there are, lots of reasons to not want to fly a fighter jet.
100% false, there is zero reason for any man to not want to fly a fighter jet

tistan

Established Member
You can self insure if your pockets are deep enough.

I hate the couple grand a month I pay in insurance but when I need it I don’t mind so much. I don’t want everyone around me to be without it though.

So, scam? Maybe, does it bother me? Not too much.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Can't in my state unless you own at least 25 vehicles.
Now, if you own a $4k vehicle and you have collision and comp on it, you pay for $25k worth of coverage, even though you only need $4k. If you are like me and have 5 vehicles, you are paying for hundreds of thousands in useless coverage when you only need 1/4 of that. The fair way to be allowed to insure would be to have a liability policy for the driver that covers them based on their driving history and not what vehicles they drive. Then you have a comp and collision coverage based on the true value of replacing your vehicles.

coposrv

Established Member
Can't in my state unless you own at least 25 vehicles.

Now, if you own a $4k vehicle and you have collision and comp on it, you pay for $25k worth of coverage, even though you only need $4k.

Unless your 4K vehicle is found at fault smashing into the store front of the bugatti dealership causing millions damage. You’re not just paying to protect your car. Your paying to protect other people’s property as well.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
that assertion is patently false. the public pays for, and thusly owns, the road. we have a right to travel.
"but you don't have a right to a drive a car on that road" by way of necessity: yes I do.
giphy.gif

Show me yer name on the deed to that land.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
just skimmed part of this thread but I agree that it's a scam in some ways

1) you can pay them for decades, never late, pay their increases etc... 1 claim and they can pay it and drop you, even if it's small

2) they can jack your rate to whatever they want post claim, it doesnt matter that you've paid them $1500 a year in premiums for 5 years. If you make one claim of $1k they'll justify increasing your rate 50 - 100% even though theyre still profitable on your account.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I've had really good results shopping insurance about every 5 years or so. Last time we dropped our premium about a grand.

Disclaimer: This is only effective if you haven't had any claims in that 5 year period and you're not insuring a fleet of new vehicles.

Voltwings

Established Member
My opinion on insurance is it's like extended warranties: They wouldn't offer it if they didn't make money off of it.

What's bullshit is what has happened to my wife twice now; 2 people have hit my wife, and then just never answered the phone when their insurance company tries to get their side of the story. Since they don't have both sides of the story, they can't admit fault and we're on our own for repairs. In one case, my wife was stopped at a red light and got rear ended, and the other she was sitting still in the drive through and someone pulled out of a parking spot and hit her. Anyone with half an ounce of common sense could see who is at fault there.

We were on our own for the rear ending because I didn't know any better, but once she got hit the second time and the other person's insurance wouldn't accept fault I contacted our state's insurance bureau and filed a case (I just wanted a case number). I presented that case number to the other person's insurance company after 1.5 months of dealing with their crap and THE NEXT DAY they accepted fault because they were able to get in touch with their client. Funny how that works.

I understand insurance has to be shiesty to some extent because you constantly have people trying to commit fraud, so really if there were just less shitty people it would probably be easier to get them to pay out. I wouldn't hold my breath on either.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I was glad to be insured last year. We had a garage fire and the garage burned to the ground with all of my stuff in it. State Farm paid out what they were supposed to with zero questions and didn't drop us or raise our rates. Total claim was a little over 200k

Kevins89notch

Established Member
But the cost of the car is only part of it. The big part is how often that car is reported getting into accidents. Far more civics get into accidents then corvettes. So that’s why the price is what it is. I don’t remember if it’s still true but years ago an article came out saying it cost more to insure and evo 8 then it does a murcielago

How likely a car is to get into an accident is simply a relationship as to how many are on the street. Everyone and their mom has a civic, so of all the accidents reported in your city....yes, a civic will outrank a murcielago.

An Evo 8, you get the 22 year old, wanna be race car driver buying those, and so yes, as a whole, those get wrecked more than a murci, owned by 50 year old guys who drive 1K miles a year, only going to cars and coffees at 8am on Sundays.

I still stand by my theory, if you are paying full coverage on a Z06, and want to grab a 10 year old civic as a DD to keep the miles off your vette, your insurance shouldn't go up at all, only down, as you're keep a more expensive car in the garage and driving something that's much cheaper to replace.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
I look at insurance from several perspectives. It is exactly that, insurance.

Just because you own one expensive car, doesn't mean you should pay next to nothing for a beater car on top of it. The cost of the expensive car isn't just for that car. It is also for damaged caused by your car to others such as cars, property, bodily injury, etc. and the price of insurance for that car is also determined by the number of claims on it from different people. That last part, I don't agree with. I think it should be determined by your age, driving record and your credit rating and only that. Not because a certain type of car insured by millions of people has a lot of accidents.

I think to a point, insurance is a scam. But, considering I've had multiple surgeries in my life, gone through dental, therapy, etc. it all adds up and insurance does help.

I think if you are knowingly driving around because you think that insurance is a scam, or, you're too good to pay for it, you should have the book thrown at you and your license suspended, if not revoked.

I had an incident recently where I was rearended by a 20 year old flying in a 35MPH doing at least 45MPH in traffic. I managed to stop on time due to cars in front of me slowing down and coming up on heavy traffic. His 2006-2007ish Acura TL that was maybe worth 7-10K destroyed my hitch cover, damaged the hitch, and a small part of the bumper. The car was insured, but, he was not on the insurance policy. That's not how it works.

I had all of his info, and after a couple of weeks, because he did not wantt to go through his Father's insurance, he paid me the $1,500 in damage in cash and that was the end of it. This is probably an extreme rarity. I was certainly very pissed off that my Durango which is in flawless condition and is my baby, got hit. It worked out in the end, though.

nxhappy

Established Member
of course it's a scam. How much have you received in claims? For me, of all time, about $8000. How much have you paid, in total, for insurance (car, house, business, health, life) ? If you add it all up you would shit yourself. Insurance is a false sense of security. you are basically dumping in $10,000+ per year, for absolutly nothing in return. But hey, you're covered IF it happens LOL....

Users who are viewing this thread