• Every once in a while

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • Never test it.

Votes: 39 46.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tractionless1

Established Member
Update found MY issue. Dummy (me) ziptied the sensor power wire to the black bushing at the firewall for the steering shaft not realizing it rotates with the damn shaft. Every time the wheel turned it pushed the power wire into the headers, eventually burning through completely.

TXEnginerd

Established Member
I debated between the Zeitronix or some other complete ethanol content monitoring kit but decided to make my own of sorts. I bought a GM flexfuel sensor and the required fittings to put it in my return line, and I'm going to run the signal wire to a firewire cable. That will let me datalog ethanol content until I get an aeroforce gauge. Then I will just have it displayed on the gauge as one of the custom analog inputs. Planning on doing a quick write-up when I have it finished. I figure doing it this way I spend about the same amount of money but get the benefit of the other things I can monitor with the aeroforce gauge.

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
I debated between the Zeitronix or some other complete ethanol content monitoring kit but decided to make my own of sorts. I bought a GM flexfuel sensor and the required fittings to put it in my return line, and I'm going to run the signal wire to a firewire cable. That will let me datalog ethanol content until I get an aeroforce gauge. Then I will just have it displayed on the gauge as one of the custom analog inputs. Planning on doing a quick write-up when I have it finished. I figure doing it this way I spend about the same amount of money but get the benefit of the other things I can monitor with the aeroforce gauge.
I'm curious how you are getting the Firewire and/or the Aeroforce gauge to read the square wave voltage signal coming off the FFV sensor? It's my understanding that those require a 0-5V analog voltage input. I'm assuming you have some additional electronics of some sort.

TXEnginerd

Established Member
I'm curious how you are getting the Firewire and/or the Aeroforce gauge to read the square wave voltage signal coming off the FFV sensor? It's my understanding that those require a 0-5V analog voltage input. I'm assuming you have some additional electronics of some sort.

Well, it turns out I did not read Zeitronix' page carefully enough. The 0-5v analog output they describe is from their ECA, not the sensor itself. I either have to add my own DAC to the mix or give in and buy their display unit for $200.

Not great news but I still saved $140 by buying a sensor on Ebay instead of from Zeitronix.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll let you guys know if I figure out a DAC solution or at the very least how the sensor I bought works out.

Last edited:

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
Well, it turns out I did not read Zeitronix' page carefully enough. The 0-5v analog output they describe is from their ECA, not the sensor itself. I either have to add my own DAC to the mix or give in and buy their display unit for $200.

Not great news but I still saved $140 by buying a sensor on Ebay instead of from Zeitronix.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll let you guys know if I figure out a DAC solution or at the very least how the sensor I bought works out.
Cool. Yeah, I was going to say..... Their ECA has a 0-5V output but I am unaware of any sensor itself that has the 0-5V output. Before Zeitronix came out with their unit, I had a custom display made.

No doubt as to getting the sensors off eBay. That's what I did too a few years back and saved a lot of money.

TXEnginerd

Established Member
Cool. Yeah, I was going to say..... Their ECA has a 0-5V output but I am unaware of any sensor itself that has the 0-5V output. Before Zeitronix came out with their unit, I had a custom display made.

No doubt as to getting the sensors off eBay. That's what I did too a few years back and saved a lot of money.

Do you have any details on this that you're able/willing to share?

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
Well, I went in with a guy and we had three of them made by an electronics company. There were no other options available at the time. It showed both percent and temp on the screen at the same time. I have since gone to the Zeitronix. I'm not an electronics expert and it had quite a bit of components in it.

TXEnginerd

Established Member
Well, I went in with a guy and we had three of them made by an electronics company. There were no other options available at the time. It showed both percent and temp on the screen at the same time. I have since gone to the Zeitronix. I'm not an electronics expert and it had quite a bit of components in it.

Gotcha. Well, I sent a request for a datasheet to Continental. We'll see if they're even willing to send it to me.

Users who are viewing this thread