Votes: 11 13.1%
  • Never test it.

Votes: 39 46.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

QuikHD

Established Member
I'm a E85 newbie. I have a question.

Do you guys test your fuel every fill up? If you are going to your usual fill up station, do you just test every once in a while? Do you ever test your fuel??

InvisibleBlade

Highway to Hell
Established Member
I never do. The tune is safe, so even if it dips below E70 i'm ok.
However, I would like to get a tester just to see where it's at every couple months.

JustaGT5408

Established Member
My car is tuned for true E85, but Iowa tends to run E70 most of the year. I test a few times a year and thats about it. I just pay attention to the wideband when WOT and make sure it's safe. With E70 I dont worry as the tune is plenty conservative at 11.2-11.4 AFR

Mystic03

Established Member
every fill up i put into 5gal jugs take home and test..my station has been 85-86 everytime..but its weird ill test from my tank from sitting and itll be e90? :shrug:

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
It's not a waste of time unless you have true flex fuel vehicle....I tested at a pump in League City and it came out E45. I alerted the manager and they shut the E85 pumps down and bagged them.

Trust me, I was shocked! Only thing I could think of was the delivery truck somehow pumped e10 gasoline into a partially filled e85 tank below.... :nonono:

65fastback2+2

Established Member
It's not a waste of time unless you have true flex fuel vehicle....I tested at a pump in League City and it came out E45. I alerted the manager and they shut the E85 pumps down and bagged them.

Trust me, I was shocked! Only thing I could think of was the delivery truck somehow pumped e10 gasoline into a partially filled e85 tank below.... :nonono:

did you test all your 93 octane too? bad gas happens.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
did you test all your 93 octane too? bad gas happens.

And? I'm not following you at all. If you have the ability to test so quickly and easily....why not use it?

I think a simple test at the pump to determine 87/91/93 octane would be awesome and very lucrative for the developer. How many pump gas s/c fords have melted a piston because the octane rating posted wasn't up to par for their aggressive timing tune? Lol

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I'm in Ala****in Bama, The stations know if it's bad gas they are dead.

03redfirevert.

coyote eater
Established Member
This was the Kroger,correct?
Btw there is a new valero in Santa Fe 6/646 that added e85,will go check it out when I fill up friday

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
This was the Kroger,correct?
Btw there is a new valero in Santa Fe 6/646 that added e85,will go check it out when I fill up friday

No, it was the Stripes. Very weird, I have tested there before and it was always good....but this one time it wasn't. Not even near up to snuff. All the more reason in my mind to test each and every time. The kroger right down the road tested perfect FYI.

And the E45 will not run lean....it will actually run off the chart rich if you have a spot on E85 tune. It will run so rich, you will set off the check engine light with rich codes within 2 minutes of driving. And I agree....if we could trust all these places to carry the federal minimum E70, your E85 tune would run that no problem. Pump n go no worries just ever so slightly rich. But unfortunately I've proven thats not the case, you can't trust these places 100% of the time. Buyer beware

Thanks for the heads up on the Valero coming on line with E85, great news :beer:

mustang john

Established Member
The instructions i got from my tuner (Justin @ VMP) was to test EVERY batch of fuel and make sure they were all within 2%-3% of E85 or there could be issues with the tune. He is probably playing it safe but can you blame him since its so damn easy to test. The tester is less than $20 and it takes all of 2 minutes. There is no reason what so ever to risk an engine failure over 2 minutes or $20.

Last edited:

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
The instructions i got from my tuner (Justin @ VMP) was to test EVERY batch of fuel and make sure they were all within 2%-3% of E85 or there could be issues with the tune. He is probably playing it safe but can you blame him since its so damn easy to test. The tester is less than $20 and it takes all of 2 minutes. There is no reason what so ever to risk an engine failure over 2 minutes or $20.

Just FYI, I installed a flex fuel sensor and gauge so I didn't have to worry about crappy fuel. All of the fuel in SA right now is showing e76-e78 on my sensor.

I bought a couple of drums of E98 so I can stay at E85 when I go to the track.

mustang john

Established Member
Just FYI, I installed a flex fuel sensor and gauge so I didn't have to worry about crappy fuel. All of the fuel in SA right now is showing e76-e78 on my sensor.

I bought a couple of drums of E98 so I can stay at E85 when I go to the track.

Thanks for the heads up Tracy, that would be an issue if i ever had time to work on, race or just drive the damn car these days lol!

But i will eventually make it back out to the track and give ya a run for your money. :D

65fastback2+2

Established Member
And? I'm not following you at all. If you have the ability to test so quickly and easily....why not use it?

I think a simple test at the pump to determine 87/91/93 octane would be awesome and very lucrative for the developer. How many pump gas s/c fords have melted a piston because the octane rating posted wasn't up to par for their aggressive timing tune? Lol

seriously??? when u rely on the high octane to keep away detonation while using e85 it makes a huge diff. if its only e45

how about show me multiple cases where someone has a messed up motor from e85 not being checked?

the stuff is so ridiculously detonation resistant. Not to mention, after 60% alcohol the benefit drops off almost to nothing. in other words, e60 or e90 should, for all intents and purposes, offer the same detonation protection.

further more, "bad" e85 means you'll just run rich...coupled with the fact you will have LESS oxygenated parts of fuel means even richer. You might be down on power...but the chances of you blowing anything up are next to none.

the more important thing to worry about is being tuned on e85 and then getting e95...but even then...you're talking an afr swing of a couple tenths of a point leaner. e85 will handle that without issue.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
how about show me multiple cases where someone has a messed up motor from e85 not being checked?

the stuff is so ridiculously detonation resistant. Not to mention, after 60% alcohol the benefit drops off almost to nothing. in other words, e60 or e90 should, for all intents and purposes, offer the same detonation protection.

further more, "bad" e85 means you'll just run rich...coupled with the fact you will have LESS oxygenated parts of fuel means even richer. You might be down on power...but the chances of you blowing anything up are next to none.

the more important thing to worry about is being tuned on e85 and then getting e95...but even then...you're talking an afr swing of a couple tenths of a point leaner. e85 will handle that without issue.

go back and read post 15, you're not telling me anything I don't already know. Maybe it will sink in what I'm trying to tell you. You either recognize that or you don't. I really don't care if you believe what happened or not about the E45 test. It will set off check engine lights and running that rich is not good for the motor long term. You run e45 long term on your e85 tune and check back with us

I'm one of the biggest proponents of E85 on this forum

Users who are viewing this thread