Do you need the hood liner? What does it do?

KITT

Established Member
Hey guys. My 2002 GT got attacked by some sort of rodent, luckily it doesn't seem like much damage was done thankfully. However it appears that it decided to tear apart my hood liner to create a bed perhaps. I will probably replace it when I find a used one come around, but is it a needed item? I'd rather take it off and trash it then having to pop the hood with the liners insides exposed. I've had this car for 10+ years and my goal is to rebuild it and give it a good overhaul.

Zemedici

Established Member
I took mine off my 04 cobra. Made the supercharger louder hehehe :) didn't have any issues

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
There are a few purposes for it. Mainly I think it is to block frequencies from interfering with the radio. That is why it has that thick braided grounding cable attached to it.

That said - mine started looking a little messy and I removed mine years ago. No issues with it removed.

Cobolt

Established Member
Yeah noise and shrug what Huachipato said. Besides look at most of your after market hoods they dont even have a way to use a hood liner.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Yeah noise and shrug what Huachipato said. Besides look at most of your after market hoods they dont even have a way to use a hood liner.

Aftermarket also doesn't have to meet the same regulations/requirements that the manufacturers do.

I had heard a long time ago that it's supposed to be there for fire safety. Like in the event of a fire, the clips would melt allowing the liner to fall and smother the fire or something like that. I don't really believe that story though.

01FR500

HPDE
Established Member
Aftermarket also doesn't have to meet the same regulations/requirements that the manufacturers do.

I had heard a long time ago that it's supposed to be there for fire safety. Like in the event of a fire, the clips would melt allowing the liner to fall and smother the fire or something like that. I don't really believe that story though.

Came to say this. I've seen video of a hood liner working in this manner but I wouldn't hesitate to get rid of it.

nileppezdel77

Established Member
Got rid of mine as well and never noticed a difference in sound or anything else. P51 intake didn't fit with it attached.

KITT

Established Member
Awesome, thanks for the advice! I'm going to pull it out when I clean the engine/bay. When I find another one for cheap I will probably put it back in.

Users who are viewing this thread