Do you guys shift earlier with a pulley?

HPLouis

Established Member
Hi,
I know some people really wind it up on the stock pulley but what do you do when you go to a smaller pulley? Do you still wind it up to 6000+ rpms or do you shift it at a lower rpm?

Thanks

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I mean, are you asking if you shift faster as in:

1.) Time wise...like it gets to the higher rmps quicker?
-Or-
2.) RPM-wise...like you shift at a lower rpm?

HPLouis

Established Member
I mean, are you asking if you shift faster as in:

1.) Time wise...like it gets to the higher rmps quicker?
-Or-
2.) RPM-wise...like you shift at a lower rpm?

Lower rpm. I was reading that with a smaller pulley, it moves the power band to a lower rpm so I'm wondering if it's better to shift at a lower rpm?

I also read that the smaller pulley on the Eaton creates more heat so would it be better to shift lower to help lessen the heat and overspinning the blower.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Lower rpm. I was reading that with a smaller pulley, it moves the power band to a lower rpm so I'm wondering if it's better to shift at a lower rpm?

I also read that the smaller pulley on the Eaton creates more heat so would it be better to shift lower to help lessen the heat and overspinning the blower.

You should be able to feel the power peak while you're driving..might take you once or twice, but from there you should just naturally know where to shift.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
If you had it dyno tuned the tuner should be able to give you a print out of rpm’s by the 100 and what power it made. You take the rpm drop from the shift and figure the best average power.

Users who are viewing this thread