• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Do parents in your area hold back their kids for sports.

Discussion in 'Road Side Pub' started by wvmystichrome, Oct 29, 2014.

1. wvmystichrome

wvmystichrome Active Member Established Member

Just wondering if it around here or are there people in other states and areas that hold their kids back to play sports.

My daughter (13) has been playing High School Varsity girls basketball since the 6th grade. She actually started the first 5 games in the 7th grade until an 8th grade parent cried, "That's not fair my daughter is older," and they started her instead. I have posted a few videos on here of some of her plays she has made.

Here is the kicker and what is going to make it hard for her to continue playing, but I will say adversity has always made her stronger and more determined. There are 3 girls moving up to play this year. They are "hold backs" from previous years. Same grade (8th) as my daughter. Really wild thing is one is 15 and has a drivers license and the other will be next month and the third very shortly. It's amazing how their parents think their kids are so much better than the other kids in their grade. WELL they ought to be they are 2 years older than most of the others.

So lets hear it from the crowd, does your area schools allow parents to hold back their kids just to play sports?

2. Lambeau

Lambeau Russian Asset Premium Member Established Member Beer Money Bros.

I have never, ever heard of that before.

3. Panic661

Panic661 Active Member Established Member

Allow it? Not that I know of. But it's done. The times I personally know about is wrestling and baseball. Give the kid a year of development in highschool to get stronger/throw harder/hit harder and have more scouts looking at him.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  4. kook911

kook911 Member Established Member

Wouldn't the scout be able to see that the kid is a year older and that is why his play is better then compared to other students in that grade? Also never heard of it either and how would this slip pass a principal or the school?

5. hoamskilet

hoamskilet Well-Known Member Established Member

Thats pretty ****ed up

6. Deceptive

Deceptive Would Smash Premium Member Established Member

Sounds like future Democratic voters and welfare system users.

7. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Zircon Encrusted Tweezers Established Member

I live in the deep South where High School football is more important than life for many of these folks. That crap happens all the time...although the kids hold themselves back due to their low IQ's, no need for the parents to do it. I've never met so many grown adults who don't even have kids in school and they still attend their local High School football games religiously.

U.M.

8. CompOrange04GT

CompOrange04GT I like Wood, and not Oak in my butt Established Member

That's because they will pass them no matter what. high schools out here want to be " known" for players going to college and/or going pro

When I played football in high school in South Carolina. I was one of our better wide receivers. I didn't even have to show up for class half the time and they would still say I was there and they would still pass me so I could play.

9. Zemedici

Zemedici Well-Known Member Established Member

this. To a T. The football games are THE place to be in my county on fridays, and people come from counties over to watch the games. What the hell. I know where I WONT be friday nights, and I graduated from the school.

Although OP i've never heard of that before, and that shouldnt be legal, should it? If the kid passed their classes then there is no logical reason (academically speaking) to hold them back.

10. starnsey

starnsey Active Member Established Member

I have never heard of that before. Doesn't really surprise me though. Can see people doing that in towns where sports are above all else.

And LOL at "democrat voters and welfare system users"...that's totally relevant... :nonono: I'm sure no rural conservative area kids are in the same boat

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  11. WireEater

WireEater Dumpster Baby Established Member

I would say this is probably pretty common in little pohick towns that have nothing good going for them except for their varsities games.

12. R.D.P.

R.D.P. Extra Sprinkles Established Member

I have a friend with a son that's really good at baseball. He's told me about seeing it happen.

13. sunburned

sunburned I miss my torque Established Member

So you guys don't have middle school, correct? High school is grades 6-12? If that's the case, why the hell do you need to hold your kid back to play? Who cares which grade they are in as long as they are still in school?

14. Branhammer

Branhammer My saltiness... is... MAXIMUMER! Established Member

That's crazy. And it will never translate to success beyond high school anyway. Once they get to the college level that age advantage will no longer be an advantage. Doing this just makes a kid look like a flunky who got held back.

15. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Zircon Encrusted Tweezers Established Member

:thumbsup: Welcome to my little slice of heaven...

Prattville Lions

State Playoff Championships - 1984, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2011

Region Championships - 1983, 1990, 1996, 2001, 1002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011

U.M.

16. Rotzs99

Rotzs99 Active Member Established Member

Go West Canaan High!
    [​IMG]

17. SID297

SID297 OWNER/ADMIN Staff Member Administrator

I noticed it mostly being parents sending their kids to kindergarten a year later.

18. RedRocketMike

RedRocketMike A Member Well Known Established Member

The practice should be illegal. My girlfriend was cheerleading captain at a high school which apparently had an awesome football team, it's a big business. She told me they frequently held back multiple players to strengthen the team.

19. 05slvrgt

05slvrgt Real bits of panther. Established Member

This is a common practice where I grew up. Almost always the kids end up as 19 year old high school seniors who DON'T go on to play college athletics. Seems like a good use of a year of one's youth. Dumb ass hillbillies.

20. Zerohe

Zerohe Bro do you even Boost? Established Member

Thats unheard of up here at least. Thought it was the same everywhere. K-5, 6-8 and 9-12
    I graduated at 17. Why be held back for a high school sport? I couldnt wait to get the hell out of High school