Do I need a tune?

Reaper14

Established Member
Just recently replaced my headers & h pipe on my 14' GT. I had already had a tune with the car bone stock when I bought the Ngauge from Lund racing. So the question is, would I need a new tune/re-tune since the 1-7/8 & o/r h pipe have been installed? Any help is greatly appreciated & welcome. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Rael

Established Member
It will usually help to update the tune anytime changes are made to some engine aspect.

Even a bone stock car can be put on a dynamometer so the various parameters of the tune can be adjusted to fit the engine's particulars -- a "dyno-tune." A dyno-tune will get the most out of your particular engine, a specific tune just for your car.

So, whether you get an updated tune file from Lund Racing, or a dyno-tune from someone who knows what they're doing, you should like it.

Reaper14

Established Member
It will usually help to update the tune anytime changes are made to some engine aspect.

Even a bone stock car can be put on a dynamometer so the various parameters of the tune can be adjusted to fit the engine's particulars -- a "dyno-tune." A dyno-tune will get the most out of your particular engine, a specific tune just for your car.

So, whether you get an updated tune file from Lund Racing, or a dyno-tune from someone who knows what they're doing, you should like it.
Ok thank you. I will contact Lund tomorrow morning. As for a dyno-tune Im s.o.l. because there are none around here. Thanks again!

noldevin

Established Member
You should retune since you removed the cats. Lund doesn't really change anything for headers, they set up the tune so that it will work before and after headers.
However removing the cats will give you a check engine light and the car will run a bit richer than necessary unless you retune.

Reaper14

Established Member
Yeah it is running rich, even has a different scent to it. I had mentioned to them that I replaced the headers & they said I would be fine. But I did leave out the part where I removed the cats. But the check engine light I removed it with the gauge. Im emailing them now. Thank you! Wish I had a shop close by

noldevin

Established Member
You'll always have that different scent without cats, get used to that. But the car is still trying to protect the cats it thinks it has, and it does that by dumping gas here and there to cool them off. You no longer need it to do that

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Reaper14

Established Member
That makes a lot of sense. I dont mind the smell but it did have me looking for leaks like crazy at first. Not only that, the smell reminds me of home lol. Thanks for explaining that, I appreciate the help. Im new at all of this.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
The tune is just to turn off the CEL that will appear without the cats. The car makes a reference between the up stream O2 to the down stream O2, see if it's doing its job of removing harmful/pollutant fumes. If gas is being dumped into the cat, you have bigger issues and it will destroy the cat. No fuel goes into the cat to cool it off. The smell is the fact that the cats are not doing their job of cleaning up the exhaust (gas fumes).

Lund (guys working there) says that about several mods, that "it's built into the tune already" but i'm not a fan of that. Might be the truth, maybe, but I would tell people upfront when they buy their tunes that X items are included.

Reaper14

Established Member
The tune is just to turn off the CEL that will appear without the cats. The car makes a reference between the up stream O2 to the down stream O2, see if it's doing its job of removing harmful/pollutant fumes. If gas is being dumped into the cat, you have bigger issues and it will destroy the cat. No fuel goes into the cat to cool it off. The smell is the fact that the cats are not doing their job of cleaning up the exhaust (gas fumes).

Lund (guys working there) says that about several mods, that "it's built into the tune already" but i'm not a fan of that. Might be the truth, maybe, but I would tell people upfront when they buy their tunes that X items are included.
Yeah Im talking with them now. They told me that all that was planned ahead & that I didnt need a retune. I reloaded the tune & he had me do a datalog (which I just learned to do) & sent it off just now.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
That's cool and shocking they asked for one. Datalogging is definitely useful and I recommend learning what each parameter means or what it's doing.
That way if you catch something that they tuner misses or something you don't like, you'll know. Or when troubleshooting. one example; I didn't know my throttle body was messed up until I saw the throttle angle actual vs throttle angel desired. Numbers were way off. Put the stocker back on and numbers were almost identical. Car even felt better after that.
Or knock sensor. Do you think a +3 is good or a -3 is good? A lot would think +3 is good and it's adding but it's opposite. -3 means the car is feeling good and adding timing. +3 could indicate knock and it's pull 3 degrees.

Reaper14

Established Member
Yeah Im going to have to learn all this (and happy to), little by little. Its my first mustang & at that my 1st car Im actually doing add ons to. Going through this forrum Im learning even though I have to keep looking up accronyms & what it does for the car. Especially since Im planning to boost & there not being any shops for hundreds of miles. Thank you for the info & input. They said it would be a few days before they get back with me. Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread