Do I have to get a new MAF???

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
There are four bolts that hold the MAF to the stock airbox. If it were me I'd get the Densecharger though. The chrome looks great,but it soaks the heat in and will not cool down. I had the BB&K one on my car and sold it to replace it with the Densecharger. I've never been happier with that choice. ;-)

Here is a link to their site. Definitely worth checking out. Densecharger

Last edited:

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
GR8, could you tell the difference between the two? I really like the looks of the chrome, but if it isn't functional then there is no point. I've also heard that even though the tube gets hot, the air is moving through too quickly to be heated by the tube.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
I can tell you that after driving around for an hour or more the Densecharger was MUCH cooler than the old BB&K. It also works much better and fits 100 times better than the old BB&K. I can tell a difference more so after the car has been running for a while. Also, when I took the BB&K off I really looked inside the thing. The inlet pipe to MAF connection was a drastic size difference. There was a pronounced EDGE the incoming air would have to cross over. Like going from this ] tp this = MAF side ]= inlet side. The Densecharger has more of a > shape which helps flow stay undisturbed. (Hope my example is sufficient) BB&K and Mac will both claim the air is moving to fast to heat up from the metal, but the IAT readings will tell the story. More specifcly the IAT readings vs the air temperature after it travels another 12-18 inches to reach the throttlebody. Just think, the phelonic spacer only raises the intake how much? Yet it helps reduce the intake charge temperature. I know it adds plenum volume as well, but it's main purpose is to lower intake temps by putting a non heat conductive material between the intake and block. Ford switched the MAF housing to plastic after 98. If the metal wasn't heating the air, why did ford swap to a different part?

PS. Have you tried to find a newer GT MAF? We have 19# injectors as well. That would be a nice addition. I think you cold just swap you electronics over if the wiring is different. 80mm would help that 5.0 breathe. ;-)

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
Cool, thanks GR8. I'm gonna get the Densecharger I think. Maybe pick up the MAC later if I decide to show the car, I will switch to it for shows. I'll have to look into getting the new MAF too!

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
You could try porting you stock MAF to help flow a little. The post in the middle of the MAF is a bit of a stumbling block for airflow. ;-)

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
Originally posted by GR8WHITE
You could try porting you stock MAF to help flow a little. The post in the middle of the MAF is a bit of a stumbling block for airflow. ;-)

I plan on going to an aftermarket piece later w/out the post, I just needed to make sure the stock piece would work for now. I tore it all apart today, stock upper and lower intake are on my mom & dads garage floor now, new stuff goes on in the morning.
Can't wait for the before and after pic, the engine compartment is gonna look so much better.

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
AARRRGHHHH. ok here's the story...

I'm finally getting to out it the Edelborck Performer upper and lower intakes that I've had for over a year. Supposed to be a six hour job. Started at 2 pm on Saturday. It is now 9:30 AM TUESDAY...still not done. I tore out all the old stuff, cleaned the head surfaces for the gaskets etc... get ready to put in the Edelbrock lower and realize HEY....there are three holes here that aren't in my stock lower and only 2 plugs to fill them with. So then I take a good look at the upper and realize there are 3 holes in it too, and only 2 plugs to fill them with. Also the vacuum fittings are not the right size. So it's off to find the plugs and vacuum fittings. Advanced Auto, Auto Zone, Hub Auto, Reliable Auto, American Speed and Hobby, Lowe's, Home Depot, O.C. Cluss, Tru Value, Ace Hardware, Walmart...........NONE carry ANY metric fittings or pipe plugs. Luckily my dad called his friend who was a Ford dealership mechanic for several years, who was nice enough to donate his LAST THREE fittings and pipe plugs from when he worked at the dealership. So finally all that gets fixed. 1 wire missing from the Steeda 8mm wire set....lucily it turned out one of my kids was running around with it trying to tie up his sister....it is yet to be seen whether it the wire is still any good...but I think it is. The throttle body adaptor goes in, and 2 vacuum lines to the EGR are too short....they have to wait til monday morning since everything is now closed. Monday morning I get the right lines. The MAC CAI goes in, and the pipe won't go through the plate the closes off the fenderwell. Tear it back out... get the pipe through the plate and get it all set up. FINALLY about 7:00 PM Monday everything is in. I start filling the rad and my dad sez "What's dripping out from under there?" now my dad is known to play the practical joke from time to time so I just blow it off...yeah ok dad whatever...My brother sez "QUIT...your LEAKING!!" Thermostat housing is leaking. UUUGHHH redo the gasket on the thermostat. 4 hours later I try again...the coolant line the goes into the top of the manifold is leaking now. I slam the hood shut and say screw it I have to sleep I have to go to work in the morning. Now remember, I don't have a driveway or a garage...this is in my parents driveway, my dad lets me take his work truck to work. So my car is up on jacks in the driveway at my parents..no garage. NO rain predicted til wednsday on the news.....I wake up this morning...you guessed it. Pouring down rain!!!:fm: :fm: :fm: Can't work on the car today, driveway will be mud for at least three days. Not only that but the garage roof leaked and my toolbax is full of water!!!!!!!:cuss: :cuss:

If you could fit a car into the garage and still work on it the car would be in there...but there's no room....(very small garage, more like a big shed).

The camera I was taking all the pics of the install with is in the toolbox...I ran to their house and moved it all but I don't think I saved the camera...I'm about to go postal.

Why can't anything be simple....anything I touch has to turn into a huge extended production!!!!!:fm: :fm:

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Man I'm sorry about all the problems. I have days like that sometimes. Best thing to do is, When you realize it is all going to shit, just take a beer break and get some rest. Realize it is going to be an uphill battle and just roll with it. I know easier said than done, but good luck. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread