do i have any rights here (recall related)

venmos1

Established Member
hey all, im in quite a perdicament. i have a 2003 saab 9-3 linear (fiances car) which we bought this past october(2007). we have been experiencing some tranny issues. so i went online to a few forums and looked around to see if these symptoms are common, what cause them etc. in my searching, i found out that there is a recall pertaining to possible contamination of coolant (getting into transmission fluid), which in turn can lead to transmission problems (like the ones i am experiencing). so i decided to call a saab dealership to see if there are any open recalls. come to find out the car hasnt had this recall done. after further talks with said saab dealership, they tell me that since the recall was posted/out in 2004, it was the previous owners responsibility to get the work done, therefore saab is not liable for any damages that may have occured due to the recall. after this we made a call the the dealer that sold us the car. they told us that they do not do anything regarding recalls, because it would take a lot of time going around to all the different dealerships to get the work done.

do we have any rights here regarding any of this? can a dealership sell a car with open recalls (they never even mentioned that there were any open on the car)? transmissions for these cars are very pricey. im trying to find out if we are SOL or if we have some help. thanks for all the input.

straightliner1

Established Member
Wow, I've never heard a dealer take that stance on an issue like this (recall). I had the ignition switch replaced in my 1991 Fox in the year 1996 and I was the second owner.

Try calling another dealer to get their input and if possible get the Regional Service manager's phone number. Take it up with him/her.

venmos1

Established Member
they will do the recall. but thats it. if there is coolant contamination that caused tranny to go, oh well. saab wont anything to do with it. very aggravating.

Users who are viewing this thread