Do I have a chance?

JasinEdward

Established Member
Hello everyone. I was pulled over this weekend and had a few questions I was hoping any LEOs may be able to answer.

The rundown...

I am in Florida and was headed south on a tollroad. The posted limit is 70. I have just recently put an inch smaller tires on, so my speedo is off a tiny bit. I was doing what my speedo read was 78 (74-75) with the adjustment. I was behind a newer Ford Edge that was probably doing 80+ the way he was pulling away.
A trooper passed us going the opposite direction and we both slowed a little and picked back up to our old speeds a mile down the road. That is when another trooper passed us and turned around putting his lights on. I immediately pulled over for him as he was pulling on us fast. He passed me by as I was at the side of the road and went to pull over the Ford Edge. He did. As I was getting closer to them, the officer stepped out into traffic and signaled me and the car behind me to pull over as well.
I don't know what transpired with the other cars, but the officer came to my window and told me he did NOT clock me with radar, the other trooper did. He told me he knew I was guilty because I pulled over when he originally put his lights on. He said the other trooper had a call he needed to get to.
He then went to his car to write me a ticket. When he came back, he handed me a ticket for 85 in a 70. On the ticket it says he determined speed from the radar gun in his car. The serial number of the gun and the trooper's car # is on the ticket. The trooper told me he and the other trooper did not clock my vehicle at all.

I want to fight this ticket in court. I have had one ticket (8 months ago) in the last 10 years. I was speeding and got caught. I know in this case I may have been exceeding the limit by 4-5 miles an hour (when I saw the 1st trooper), but there is NO way I was doing 85 like they stated.

Do I have any leg to stand on here in court other than hope they don't show up?

Do FHP troopers wear body cams normally? If they do, how do I go about getting a copy of the traffic stop? He told me he didn't clock me and then put on the ticket that he did. I should have had the brains to video the stop...... I'm kicking myself right now.....

Any advice is appreciated!

Last edited:

98stangerSVT

Established Member
Sounds a little bit off. On my radar I can can get a total of 4 different vehicles speeds at the same time. So it is possible the first trooper was able to catch both your speed and the car in front of you. If I am on my way to a call I can notify another officer of what I saw and he can make the stop and issue the ticket based on my observation.

Typically, in my department, if a ticket is challenged the courts review the dash cam footage but do not issue copies of the footage for minor traffic violations.

Does it state method of detection on the citation?

JasinEdward

Established Member
Yes. The ticket states the trooper clocked me with his radar gun. The gun serial matched up to his plate and car number too.... It did not state the other trooper clocked me at all. It says staker dual radar. Then it lists the serial number and the number of his car.

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread