Do any of the military branches have a weight waiver?

Kiohtee

Established Member
Unfortunately, finances don't allow for a gym membership at this time. Fortunately, there's nothing I can do at a gym that I can't do at home except lift weights (I don't have a bench or the required pieces)!

With that said, would anyone like to chime in with a workout routine I can start asap? I probably have a good half year or year to lose my weight as I also have to acquire 15 college credits because I have a GED. I've spent enough time being unproductive or just good enough to make a living, I want to do something extraordinary! Being 19, I need to get moving NOW.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and thanks for the service men/women!

boduke0220

Established Member
PCP ( physical conditioning platoon) is the last place you want to be at USMC Bootcamp. If ya really want to prepare i reccomend going ahead and working on aceing the PFT ( 18 minute 3 mile, 100 crunches in 2 mins, 20 pullups) which is what Im trying to do. Whatever you do dont do the bare minimum, boot camp would suck so bad. Good Luck and if ya need any advice dont be afraid to PM me.

As for the waiver, yea you can DEP in and get your ship date over weight but it would be in your best interest to lose it lol which im sure the recruiter would help ya with ;)

As for a workout routine. Here are a few i started out with just to get my overall endurance up before i tackled the harder stuff.

5 Rounds of:
50 Jumping Jacks
50 Mountain climbers

3 Rounds of:
Run 100m
20 pushups
5 burpee's
15 clap push ups
5 burpess
10 chest slap push ups
5 burpees
5 finger tip push ups

5 Rounds of
20 pull ups
30 pushups
40 situps
50 squats <---I always divided all this in 1/2 because 50 squats and 20 pulls is crazy. i could prob do it now though.

Do 1 of those per M/W/F

Also start running a Mile (m/w/f), even if ya cant run the full mile, walk some, just make sure ya get a Mile in and work on Pushing yourself MENTALLY, thats all running is, when you feel your legs burning tell your mind to make them burn more and like the burning, ask yourself if thats all you got etc count how many times you have to stop so next week try to run through one of the places you stopped untill you run the full mile..then do 1.5 etc

Push ups will also help with the pullups ( you can also do chinups, which are easier to me)

I always liked doing pyramid Pushup sets like 5,10,15,20,15,10,5.
Check out the Armstrong or recon ron pull up program for Pullups. i did the Armstrong and can do about 25 now.

Crunches, just do crunches lol. i always did 200 every day ( you might wanna start out at 100 every other day) just do as many as ya can like 24..then rest..do 20 more..untill you get to 100. if thats easy just grab some weight or do more than 100.

Mach1usmc reccomended me a good routine that helped me as well. so check that out in my PT advice thread.

Last edited:

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
I'm not sure if that's the case anymore. I leave for basic in a month and my recruiter made me get below my max weight before I could even go to meps. I've had to tell him my weight every monday for the last year and every time I go see him he puts me on the scales.

OP,even if they let you I'd suggest dropping the pounds. My brother in law was a Marine and he came into boot a pound or two over the weight. He had to go to a "fat" class and had to eat the "fat food" for around 8 weeks even though he got below his max weight 2 days into boot. lol

It may have changed, idk all i remember is when i went to Leonard Wood they were sending the people who couldnt make weight/tape to a different unit until they were at or exceeded the standard before they shipped to a basic training company. OP best bet is work you ass off then do some more, it will only help you. Weight loss sucks, but it only gets easier once you break it down into a routine and a lifestyle and commit yourself.

boduke0220

Established Member
just noticed you live near me,if your truely interested Send me Your cell number via PM and i'll give it to my recruiter so he can contact you. he's a laid back no BS kinda guy. He let me go to one of our pool functions before i dep'ed in so i could see what it was like, you could do that if ya want.

MarlboroMan

Established Member
I've never heard of a weight waiver, but in any branch, weight is not a factor alone for not being "fit" for military standards. To determine if you are overweight, they measure height, weight, BMI, neck, and waist. They have a chart that they compare these stats on. So for example, if you are just a big burly weightlifting dude that by numbers is overweight for your height, if your neck is a large enough circumference on that chart, you fall within the standards. In any category it give one thing a chance to rule another out because everyone is built different. Just cause you're 300lbs don't mean you ain't in shape.

Kiohtee

Established Member
I'm not sure if I need to focus more on my weight and BMI stats or the ability to perform more. I'd like to think that they'd come hand-in-hand and that once I'm able to perform past the bare minimum I'd also be in good enough shape according to their measuring standards.

Bo I'll drop you a line sometime man. :)

Users who are viewing this thread