DIY tile in bathroom? Plumbing Q's.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
Well I messed up, we have linoleum on the floor not laminate. This is great information, I feel like this project can be tackled by us!

08mojo

Established Member
Have you considered installing a laminate or engineered hardwood floor? They have waterproof options that are suitable for a bathroom install. It is much easier and faster to install vs tile.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
I have thought about luxury vinyl plank or engineered hardwood just worry about the VOC’s from these products and how well are they about being waterproof.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I have thought about luxury vinyl plank or engineered hardwood just worry about the VOC’s from these products and how well are they about being waterproof.

They make waterproof stuff. This stuff is nice, looks 10 times better than vinyl plank. I have used in homes and recommend it.
Aquaguard ® Laminate | Floor & Decor

08mojo

Established Member

We went with aquaguard. No strong smells and stupid easy to install. Rip the old floor out, roll out a liner, snap the new floor together. I was worried about putting the aquaguard in the bathroom and around the shower. As a test, I made a 3'x4' sample and left it outside for 4-5 weeks. It went through rain, direct sun, wide temperature swings--and I had to really look hard to find any damage. That alleviated my concerns with water dripping from a shower.

46215362874_9bd131a73b_k.jpg

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
08mojo, that looks awesome. I wish I could hire it out but I worry about getting ripped off.

I hear you, but that's true with a lot of services...

I actually just contracted out the shower/tile and the floor tile since he will already be there, I'm doing the rest. I contracted only because we have a freshly remodeled kitchen/hardwood floors that this bathroom is directly over top of, i've tiled before, but I worry about leaks...

mcaligiuri

Established Member
bathroom.jpg
bathroom h.jpg

when doing the floor I used cement board and cement board screws. Use adhesive and a tile trowel to put adhesive on the subfloor before installing the cement board. also once the boards are down you need to use cement tape and tape the seams on the boards to create a solid floor before tiling. it has been 3 years and still holding strong.

Blk91stang

Established Member
Premium Member

mcaligiuri

Established Member
Any concerns or issues with the window being in the shower? My parents have this same setup and they are nervous about taking a shower in there getting the inside of the window wet since only the outside is made to take on water.
I used a new construction pvc window and cement board all around it. Then when you tape all the seams, you paint this water membrane on it. It goes on like snot and once dry is waterproof. I moved the window a little farther away from the shower head to be out of direct water. Haven’t had any issues. I overkill everything cause I only want to do it once. Painting that membrane on the cement board in the shower will prevent any from seeping in and rotting stuff out

Users who are viewing this thread