DIY: Adding Quad Tips to the Stock Premium Valance.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Some said that it could not be done!
Some said that I was wanting the impossible!
Some said that they were vegan!!

It was all untrue!

First, I would like to thank [MENTION=32658]N17[/MENTION] for the inspiration.

Total time from start to finish was about an hour. My total investment, since I had the tools and trim piece was around $58.00
tools needed

• Appropriate sockets size for clamps
  • Socket wrench
  • Dremel with cutting wheel
  • Snips to clean up any rough edges
  • Steel file. To finely clean up the edges
  • Rubber trim piece (See link)
  • Center clanged dual exhaust tips of an appropriate length width and height for what you are looking to achieve.

First, here is a before and after shot.

2zi7tox.jpg

Next up, remove the stock tips.

11jby8h.jpg

This is one of the tips that I am replacing the SLP single tip with. The cost of this tip is $28.99 with shipping and is sized to slip over a 2.5" exhaust. The only issue I had was clamping it down. It had no relief cuts in the tip to allow for the clamps to compress it. So, to fix that I just made a two 1" long and 1/8th" wide slices on the top and bottom of the flange. No big deal, especially considering the quality and price.

LINK to the dual tip
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jex-jst123/overview/

2vxpoj4.jpg

• Now I lined the tips up as best as possible and placed a few reference marks on the valance where I thought it would be wide enough, making sure to not go too large. You can always remove more material, but you can't add it back.
  • Once I did that, I freehanded the shape with a sharpie, then taped it off. The tape is to help keep you on the right path as it will help guide the cutting wheel.
  • I used 1/8th" wide tape to do the initial outline, then followed up with 1" painters tape to help keep the thinner tape planted.
  • Once I had the first side cut out, I then flipped it over and used it as a template for the other side.

2885lia.jpg

A shot of the trim piece that I used and link to where I found it on Amazon. So far I have driven the car about 40 miles, included about 30 minutes of a standstill traffic jam. There has been zero issues with the trim piece. It should be able to handle north of 250°F of direct contact, and I doubt it will ever see anything close to that.

21m55cl.jpg

Now install the trim piece and slip the new tip into place for a test fit. If you need to remove any more material, mark it now then remove everything and make careful cuts.

1zptu6f.jpg

Finally,
Enjoy the beauty and compliments that you get.

z1v01.jpg

-Jeff

dblaney1

Anyone done this and have a pic of it with the body color portion still intact. The OP has some kind of cover on top of his. I'd love to see how it looks with that part visible.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Anyone done this and have a pic of it with the body color portion still intact. The OP has some kind of cover on top of his. I'd love to see how it looks with that part visible.

That is the RTR rear diffuser. It replaces the stock body colored panel.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Looks good!

I really don't understand why the aftermarket hasn't provided us with a quad tip option yet (aside from roush or ford performance).

Hopefully with all the quad tip exhausts coming out for the 18+ cars, someone wakes up

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I agree! Just give up the outer valence and allow us to use the center OE insert or something of our choosing like the RTR diffuser. That seems simple enough.

Users who are viewing this thread