Distinguished Warfare Medal SMH

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
I would say protecting the 75th RGR beret color is a pretty legitimate argument. I could go on and on about this beret topic but that is for another day.

Didn't the Army steal the black beret from them first? And the SAS have worn tan for a while.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Didn't the Army steal the black beret from them first? And the SAS have worn tan for a while.

Well, GEN shinseki authorized the black beret army wide in 2001. That was the RGR's original color. It shouldn't have ever changed. Army Special Forces adopted their green beret from British SAS.

IMO the only ones who should wear a beret is Army Special Forces, 75th RGR, AF Para Rescue, AF CCT.

Bouttime09

Oh, it's not 5.0?
Established Member
Well, GEN shinseki authorized the black beret army wide in 2001. That was the RGR's original color. It shouldn't have ever changed. Army Special Forces adopted their green beret from British SAS.

IMO the only ones who should wear a beret is Army Special Forces, 75th RGR, AF Para Rescue, AF CCT.

And Security Forces :banana::p

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Just read a couple citations for the Bronze Star with "V" device. Now I'm even more frustrated by this new medal.

http://www.navy.mil/moh/Monsoor/bronze.pdf

Food for thought. I don't know how a drone pilot could do anything that would be of higher valor then whats stated in that citation. The civilian leadership is pretty disconnected from the reality and horror of true combat, let alone real leadership and valor when lives are on the line.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I would say protecting the 75th RGR beret color is a pretty legitimate argument. I could go on and on about this beret topic but that is for another day.

Please do, I would like to hear your thoughts.

I totally agree. :beer:

And Security Forces :banana::p

20.gif

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
He is saying that because AF Security Forces currently wear the black beret.

I know why he is saying it, still silly. If AF security forces deserve a beret then **** it let the cooks have one too, maybe even personnel.

The beret should be reserved for elite units only.

Maybe this guy was really entitled to wear his :lol1:

photo-2.jpg

photo-3.jpg

NinjaBum

Established Member
Meh, while it would be horsecrap if the bronze star still held any meaning to me, everyone above the rank of E6, and E6's who have been the PSG while the PSG went home for two weeks on leave, getting them automatically makes the medal completely worthless in my eyes most of the time. (No disrespect to guys who have actually earned them or gotten them with V devices, believe me, I know folks E6 and below who get them have done something pretty stellar most of the time.) It's like the ARCOM is for lower enlisted in this day and age.

Only awards without V devices I actually hear about someone getting and say "Man, this guy must have been very courageous" are Silver Star, the service crosses, and MoH.

The bronze star thing always chafes my ass, since my grandfather got a bronze star for doing some intense stuff fighting the Japanese as a counter sniper in WW2, but some E7 who may or may not have been the HQ PSG, sitting in the TOC all day long bullshitting gets one just for being there.

If they want to give the guys something that's cool. I dunno about placing them that high up, but like I said, Bronze Star has been watered down to the point where it's a joke and completely detracts from what someone has to do to earn one E6 and below. Don't know how you can keep a straight face awarding someone a bronze star for doing something truly exemplary all the while knowing "I get one of these automatically..."

It's whatevs. I don't care who gets the medal or where it is in the pecking order, if it wasn't earned by doing something above and beyond, I won't give them a second thought. MoH, service cross, silver star, bronze star with a V or bronze star on lower enlisted or me no care.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
its actually blue.

thanks Dragu1a for embedding that i was on my phone and couldnt

+1. TACP's wear a black beret in the AF. Special Operations Weather team dudes wear a grey one, and select personnel who run the AF survival school get a foliage green beret or some shit.

The AF has gone waaaaaay over board with the beret bull shit.
Maroon
Scarlet
Black with a bluish tint
Black
Grey
Foliage green
*Tan (proposed but bitch slapped down thankfully)

I still think the Army has gone too far with it too. Yea the Airborne is "high speed" but they really are not elite, which is what the beret should signify. The black beret for everyone is a joke, most people don't know how to wear it correctly and it looks like smashed asshole.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
I'd guess that less than10% of the af wears a beret. Doesn't 100% of the army wear one?
Why are you up in arms over the af beret issue? Lol

Bouttime09

Oh, it's not 5.0?
Established Member
The way we justify it in Security Forces is to stand out in a crowd. If we are needed, we can be readily recognized. Considering everyone wears the same uniform :/. Yeah, we have the badge, but that's not really an eye catcher.

On a side note. My retraining package is going in for Sensor Operator ASAP... I am really hoping I get this, but not for any medals or flight pay or flight suits (combat pajamas), but because I feel they actually contribute to the battlefield. Pretty excited.

NinjaBum

Established Member
So are all of these uav pilot/sensor operator positions active duty or are there reserve components who have these positions as well?

Just curious.

NinjaBum

Established Member
I'm just getting out of active duty, but I'm intrigued by the idea of doing something like this in a reserve capacity. I'm prior service Army though so I don't know if that is possible. I know active AF doesn't take prior service from other branches, but I notice they do have a lot of reserve/air ng ads in the Army Times.
I know the Army has 15w, but I have no desire to have anything do do with the Army after I leave.

NinjaBum

Established Member
Oh I was referring to the Army. Unless you saw a gaggle of soldiers with them on in dress uniforms or maybe part of some weird unit where the BC has some hardon for the ol black head sock hehe. In those cases I could see it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread