Distinguished Warfare Medal SMH

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
I think I already know the answer but what does everyone think about this? lol
It's a sad day when a guy in Vegas piloting a drone will get a combat award that outweighs someone kicking in doors.

"The Defense Warfare Medal will soon become the fourth highest combat decoration in order of precedence pushing the Bronze Star down a notch to the fifth highest combat decoration. Recognized as the third highest award stands the Distinguished Flying Cross."

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
It's freaking stupid. Didn't know it was put above the bronze star which makes even less sense.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Just wanna head this off at the pass. I am a Sensor Operator for the predator and believe me when I tell you nobody in my squadron that I have talked to about this agrees with it's placement. That being said, I'm sick of hearing people bitch about my career field when you do not know 99% of what we do (due to OPSEC concerns). Sure we are not overseas "kicking in doors" but next to that this is the greatest enlisted career field out there in terms of direct effect on the war effort (I was a jet engine mechanic for 5 years before this). I have been doing it for 5 years and have thousands of hours of surveillance, supporting troops on the ground (whether in contact, patrols, etc), and direct application of lethal force to "bad guys".

I'm not sure where all the jealousy and hate comes from because you never hear from anyone in the community even talk about our job. Anytime something is announced about flight incentive pay, us getting our own wing patches, afsc, and now this medal, the floodgates of whiny bitches open up all across forums and article comment sections.

To recap, I, and every person in my squadron I've talked to, do not believe in the placement (or creation for that matter) of this medal.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Also, contrary to popular belief, I am not very good at video games.

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
When I first saw this on facebook, I thought it was a joke. We already have plenty of medals to recognize our folks performance in any capacity. Making this new medal up only furthers the cynical minds many people have of the awards process and certain carrier fields in general.

jenkins_1120

Established Member
heres a rant my buddy went on about this

The Air Force K-9 Handlers who were attached to infantry units doing Air Assaults, HVT Missions, and clearing the battlefield out front have to fight tooth and nail to get a Combat Action Medal. But The Air Force wants to give these pilots a Medal for not ever having stepped foot in a war zone. Wake up in the morning, Put your flight suit on, Grab your cup of coffee and go kill Terrorist behind a computer screen and then go home at the end of the day. Seems about right. At the same time these pilots wear their patches with FLIGHT HOURS, SQUADRON MASCOTS of Mickey Mouse and Tigers and other crap on it and now they want to give them a medal to add onto that as well. US Air Force guys who have been in Combat once, twice, three times or more arent allowed to wear the Combat Patches of the Infantry units we served with?? Bunch of BS and its an insult to everyone else.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
When I first saw this on facebook, I thought it was a joke. We already have plenty of medals to recognize our folks performance in any capacity. Making this new medal up only furthers the cynical minds many people have of the awards process and certain carrier fields in general.

I completely agree.

BRNG ITT

Established Member
Just wanna head this off at the pass. I am a Sensor Operator for the predator and believe me when I tell you nobody in my squadron that I have talked to about this agrees with it's placement. That being said, I'm sick of hearing people bitch about my career field when you do not know 99% of what we do (due to OPSEC concerns). Sure we are not overseas "kicking in doors" but next to that this is the greatest enlisted career field out there in terms of direct effect on the war effort (I was a jet engine mechanic for 5 years before this). I have been doing it for 5 years and have thousands of hours of surveillance, supporting troops on the ground (whether in contact, patrols, etc), and direct application of lethal force to "bad guys".

I'm not sure where all the jealousy and hate comes from because you never hear from anyone in the community even talk about our job. Anytime something is announced about flight incentive pay, us getting our own wing patches, afsc, and now this medal, the floodgates of whiny bitches open up all across forums and article comment sections.

To recap, I, and every person in my squadron I've talked to, do not believe in the placement (or creation for that matter) of this medal.

Looks like you probably know my brother-in-law, T. Lewis.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
heres a rant my buddy went on about this

The Air Force K-9 Handlers who were attached to infantry units doing Air Assaults, HVT Missions, and clearing the battlefield out front have to fight tooth and nail to get a Combat Action Medal. But The Air Force wants to give these pilots a Medal for not ever having stepped foot in a war zone. Wake up in the morning, Put your flight suit on, Grab your cup of coffee and go kill Terrorist behind a computer screen and then go home at the end of the day. Seems about right. At the same time these pilots wear their patches with FLIGHT HOURS, SQUADRON MASCOTS of Mickey Mouse and Tigers and other crap on it and now they want to give them a medal to add onto that as well. US Air Force guys who have been in Combat once, twice, three times or more arent allowed to wear the Combat Patches of the Infantry units we served with?? Bunch of BS and its an insult to everyone else.

Yet another person that does not understand the RPA community. Most of our pilots are prior A-10, F-16, F-15, F-14, etc pointy nose guys that have been on multiple combat tours each. They consider this the "coast down" period of their career, no more TDYs or deployments and get to be at home with their family every night. It's not the brand new LTs straight out of flight training that the media loves to portray. What is bad about killing terrorist behind a screen and going home every night? Best of both worlds don't you think? Maybe that is where all of the jealousy and envy comes from.

PhillyLS1

Established Member
The people that operate these drone deserve recognition. The men that helped implement and detect things like Stuxnet deserve recognition.

Just not a high level. Should be something along the lines of an AAM.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
The people that operate these drone deserve recognition. The men that helped implement and detect things like Stuxnet deserve recognition.

Just not a high level. Should be something along the lines of an AAM.

Yes I agree, we get plenty of the AAMs since they're just sortie based. I think Panetta is just making us a target for these unnecessary criticisms; we should not get higher up decorations/awards/medals for being stateside when soldiers, marines, and airmen leave the wire without even a mention.

Yep, that's him. Small world.

Our community is very small, you'd be surprised who you run into.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Sure we are not overseas "kicking in doors" but next to that this is the greatest enlisted career field out there in terms of direct effect on the war effort (I was a jet engine mechanic for 5 years before this). I have been doing it for 5 years and have thousands of hours of surveillance, supporting troops on the ground (whether in contact, patrols, etc), and direct application of lethal force to "bad guys".
CCT and TACP might disagree, along with anyone that has a job requiring you to go outside the wire.

[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure where all the jealousy and hate comes from because you never hear from anyone in the community even talk about our job. Anytime something is announced about flight incentive pay, us getting patches, afsc, and now this medal, the floodgates of whiny bitches open up all across forums and article comment sections. [/QUOTE]

Jealousy no, little hate. If you're not in the air you shouldn't get flyers pay, you also shouldn't wear a flight suit if you're sitting on the ground in Vegas. All my opinion though.

I agree with the medal, but like you I don't think it should be placed above the bronze star.

SVT4ME

Established Member
Everyone does their part to support the war effort. When I was overseas i remember watching AFN and those commercials about "you can't fly without supply". But I would think a medal would be tied to risk and level of sacrifice! By the way, my son plays video guys all day and has a few million kills that I would assume mean nothing.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
CCT and TACP might disagree, along with anyone that has a job requiring you to go outside the wire.
I'm not sure where all the jealousy and hate comes from because you never hear from anyone in the community even talk about our job. Anytime something is announced about flight incentive pay, us getting patches, afsc, and now this medal, the floodgates of whiny bitches open up all across forums and article comment sections. [/QUOTE]

Jealousy no, little hate. If you're not in the air you shouldn't get flyers pay, you also shouldn't wear a flight suit if you're sitting on the ground in Vegas. All my opinion though.

I agree with the medal, but like you I don't think it should be placed above the bronze star.[/QUOTE]

I simplified "door kicker" down to pretty much anyone that leaves the wire (I deployed to Iraq back in my mechanic days but did not go outside the wire). The flight incentive pay isn't a big deal, it's only $150/month and was put in place to get more people into the career field. The flight suit I agree with, I would much rather just wear civvies and grow out a beard! The bad thing is we fall under everyone else's flight restrictions (no meds w/out flight doc approval, 12-hour bottle to throttle rule, etc.) since there are no RPA-specific guidelines for us.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Everyone does their part to support the war effort. When I was overseas i remember watching AFN and those commercials about "you can't fly without supply". But I would think a medal would be tied to risk and level of sacrifice! By the way, my son plays video guys all day and has a few million kills that I would assume mean nothing.

This line of thinking right here is just sad. Nobody in my career field treats it as a "game". That is something that has been purported by the media and the whiny bitches I alluded to in my first post. People really die and things are blown up, I'd love to go into detail to make it "real" for you but can't due to obvious reasons.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
150 is a decent chunk. I get half that for demo pay and the odds of me getting blown up, shot, etc are 100% more likely. Lol

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
150 is a decent chunk. I get half that for demo pay and the odds of me getting blown up, shot, etc are 100% more likely. Lol

Sorry to hear that man (honestly), career change? I was sort of forced into this job since we retired our F-16s several years ago, it sure beats turning wrenches!

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
No, I love my job.
If I wasn't doing what I'm doing being a UAV operator would be high on my list. :)
I'm very grateful and appreciative for what you do, having someone overhead is an invaluable asset. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread