Dispose of E85

testorossa1989

Established Member
Probably a fairly stupid question but worth asking. I have a lot of lower octane E85 built up and mixed with other stations E85 (stations ive tested) E70 and such. How do i go about disposing it since none of my vehicles run E85 and i dont want to run it through my cobra

Helomech74

Established Member
I buy E98 by the barrel where I live and mix it with lower grade E85 to adjust the ethanol levels. If you access to E98 by that and mix it with your other stuff.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Any relative or neighbor in the area with a flex fuel vehicle? Maybe call them up and tell them merry belated Xmas.

Helomech74

Established Member
how do you buy fuel by the barrel?

We have an Ethanol distributor in my area and we can go and purchase fuel from them by the 55 gallon fuel drum. E98 runs about 2.20 a gallon currently when purchased in bulk in my area.

TClark22

Established Member
dang wish i could do that. hoping e85 stations around here are good mixes for when i slap boost on my build

mach330

Established Member
Probably a fairly stupid question but worth asking. I have a lot of lower octane E85 built up and mixed with other stations E85 (stations ive tested) E70 and such. How do i go about disposing it since none of my vehicles run E85 and i dont want to run it through my cobra

Can you explain what you mean by lower octane E85?

Just an FYI... The octane rating and ethanol content are not the same thing. If you have E70 fuel and are tuned for E85, you will simply run a little bit rich, no biggie. As far as octane goes... E50 and higher blends really do not detonate due to low octane unless you are really pushing the limits. For street use on my '13 at 18psi I ran E50 blended at gas stations with a mix of E85 and E10 87 octane for thousands of miles. It is a very forgiving fuel.

Simply run it through the car or blend it in with "better" fuel. Just my two cents.

02blownGT

Established Member
Can you explain what you mean by lower octane E85?

Just an FYI... The octane rating and ethanol content are not the same thing. If you have E70 fuel and are tuned for E85, you will simply run a little bit rich, no biggie. As far as octane goes... E50 and higher blends really do not detonate due to low octane unless you are really pushing the limits. For street use on my '13 at 18psi I ran E50 blended at gas stations with a mix of E85 and E10 87 octane for thousands of miles. It is a very forgiving fuel.

Simply run it through the car or blend it in with "better" fuel. Just my two cents.

I find this interesting any place i can read up on the impact of running lower ethanol content fuel on a vehicle tuned for 85 and how octane is measured in e85 vs e70 and the like.

mach330

Established Member
I find this interesting any place i can read up on the impact of running lower ethanol content fuel on a vehicle tuned for 85 and how octane is measured in e85 vs e70 and the like.

Not sure on where to read about it. I am just going off of the data that I personally have collected with the help of a very competent tuner. Most "pump" E85 is a blend of 70-85% ethanol with low grade (87 octane or lower) gasoline. The octane of ethanol isn't really as high as most people believe. The fuel's properties such as how it burns and the the cooling effect from vaporizing help prevent detonation. On our dyno pulls 93 oct detonated, E30 had some detonation, but E50 and higher had no detonation.

Hope this helps. If you want any more info about running E85 or are looking for parts to do the conversion, send me a PM and I will be glad to help you out.

Last edited:

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
Just mix a gallon of it in with a full tank of gas in your other non-flex fuel cars. They will run fine with a little more Ethanol in the tank.

Users who are viewing this thread