Disabling PATS

Status
Not open for further replies.

XP900

Established Member
Question...I read that the tuner can disable the PATs system on the car. What actually happens if this is done and what does it affect? Does the security alarm still work along with the door locking/unlocking features of the keyfob? Does disabling the PATs only affect the security function of the key itself?

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
There are ways to bypass PATS as well. If you disable the PATS system you will not have a security system. Two different situations. Keys will not unlock using keyfob either since its part of the security system. You would have to manually unlock the doors. Its really not adviseable to do if its a daily driver. But YES in can absolutely be disabled by your tuner and also could be done with Ford IDS as well.

Last edited:

XP900

Established Member
Just trying to figure out out my next option if the key transceiver does not fix my intermittent problem since replacement of the pcm is not an option...I think there is another control module that interfaces with it also. Have to start looking in the manuals for the wiring connections. No codes have been logged that I could pull when it wouldn't sense the programmed keys.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Just trying to figure out out my next option if the key transceiver does not fix my intermittent problem since replacement of the pcm is not an option...I think there is another control module that interfaces with it also. Have to start looking in the manuals for the wiring connections. No codes have been logged that I could pull when it wouldn't sense the programmed keys.
What problem are you exactly having with the PATS system?

XP900

Established Member
Programmed key not sensed in the ignition when trying to start - console light flashing very fast - have four keys and none worked when it happened at home. In one case it started working in a minute or two...in the other times I hooked up a scanner to the OBD in an attempt to pull codes and it starting working again when I tried..and no codes were there to pull. Failed four times in two months.... sometimes just after driving it and turning it off for a minute or two. Too risky to trust it if the new transceiver doesn't fix it.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) Transceiver

The PATS transceiver is located in the steering column and communicates with the encoded ignition key. During each vehicle start sequence, the PATS transceiver reads the encoded ignition key identification code and sends data to the IPC . The IPC validates the code, and if it is correct, sends a message to the PCM to ground the starter relay solenoid coil and to allow the fuel injectors to operate.

Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) Operation

The PATS function is controlled by the IPC . With this type of PATS , there are parameters that need to be reset if either the IPC or the PCM (or both) are replaced. Refer to Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) Parameter Reset in this section.

When the PATS key is turned to the ON or START position, the IPC initiates the key interrogation sequence by sending a voltage signal to the PATS transceiver. The transceiver then uses its antenna to bounce a signal off the transponder in the PATS key. This process "reads" the PATS key identification code and sends the key identification code back to the IPC , which interprets it and determines if it matches one of the stored key codes. If it does match one of the stored key codes, the IPC sends a message to the PCM to ground the starter relay solenoid coil and to allow the fuel injectors to operate. If it does not match one of the stored key codes, or it is only a partial key read or no key read, the IPC sends a message to the PCM to not ground the starter relay solenoid coil and not allow fuel injector operation. The anti-theft indicator in the IPC flashes (or may glow steadily) and the IPC stores one or more DTCs.

All elements of PATS must be functional before the vehicle starts. If any of the components are not working correctly, the vehicle cannot start.

If the IPC must be replaced for any reason (PATS or IPC concerns), the PATS keys must also be programmed into the new IPC.

PATS disables the vehicle from starting if there is:

• a damaged PATS key
  • a non-programmed PATS key
  • a non-PATS key (key has no electronics)
  • damaged wiring
  • a damaged transceiver
  • a damaged IPC
  • a damaged PCM

Last edited:

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
We need to catch a DTC code fault to be sure what direction to go but If I was going to start somewhere without a DTC I would bet this is the problem: FIRST REPLACE TRANSCEIVER ( If you already replaced transceiver Than check wiring and connections, next IPC and lastly the PCM!) There is a way to isloate the IPC or the PCM if thats the problem. But either would need to be replaced and reprogrammed at the dealer or with Ford VCM 2 or 3, VCMM if you know of someone who has these proper tools.

Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) Transceiver​

imagen2.dll

ItemPart NumberDescription
1W711585-SSteering column shroud screws (2 required)
2W711656-SSteering column shroud screw
33K512Lower steering column shroud
4Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) transceiver electrical connector (part of 14401)
515607PATS transceiver
Removal and Installation
  1. Remove the steering column opening trim panel.
  2. Remove the 3 screws and the lower steering column shroud.
  3. Disconnect the Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) transceiver electrical connector.
  4. Release the clips and remove the PATS transceiver.
  5. NOTE: Replacement of the PATS transceiver does not require the PATS keys to be programmed into the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) again.
    To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Last edited:

XP900

Established Member
I replaced the PATS transceiver...and getting the lower shroud off is a PITA. I realized afterwards that it comes off in a special way after breaking the tabs that I was able to epoxy back on.

You have to pull down on the bottom shroud edge closest to the steering wheel and not the rear. The front tabs will hopefully pop loose and then the top shroud pivots off. Manual does not mention any of this until you break it and see how it works.

Since new transceiver works (problem is intermittent) I am going to try and trace the wiring cables and connectors to make sure everything is snug since the car is up on jacks for a clutch replacement.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Keep us posted! Hopefully this fixes the issue or a simple (loose) harness or wire connection. If problem persist... no worries. We will track it down.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
While keys and PATS are being discussed.....

How many keys (codes) will that system accept and store?

Also, will a newer oem SVT key with fob buttons incorporated into the key head talk to an earlier car that has the separate key and fob OR do they communicate at a different bit rate like the newer vs. older TPMS?

R

XP900

Established Member
For the 2010 year, which may be the same as your car which I think is an earlier year, I can code 8 IKT PATS keys (these are the standard PATS key with the remote keyless entry (RKE) built into the head of the key. HOWEVER, only the first four programmed will allow the remote keyless entry to work. These keys can still start the car but they will not allow the remote functions to work. You can have 8 PATS key types in the PCM but the PCM will only support 4 remote keyless function keys. So basically it is 4 IKT PATS keys (with remote entry support) and 4 basic PATS keys (without the remote support). I think I currently have 6 IKT PATS keys programmed for my car with 4 working keyfob functions.

Two PATS keys must always be programmed in the PCM or the vehicle will not start...which is why you get two keys from Ford when you buy the car. A dead keyfob battery will not stop a car from starting, it will only cause remote keyfob buttons to fail.

There is no reason you cannot have an IKT PATS (PATS key will remote keyfob functions) key for your car. You simply have to make sure the frequency and coding for the remote keyfob part and the PATS are compatible for your vehicle....two separate requirements that must be matched. The original key manufacturers were HUF and STRATTEC if you want to see if they now make an incorporated key for your car or go through some key sites to find some compatible keys. Even EBAY lists some IKT PATS keys for older GT500s.

You must have two currently working keys to add a new key. You also can use a different style key too if you want. Example...one of my IKT PATS keys looks like the image below. Worked great until I hard dropped it in water and popped open. Got it working again but I don't trust it completely yet.

Attachments

• GT500key.jpg
    GT500key.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 537
Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
For the 2010 year, which may be the same as your car which I think is an earlier year, I can code 8 IKT PATS keys (these are the standard PATS key with the remote keyless entry (RKE) built into the head of the key. HOWEVER, only the first four programmed will allow the remote keyless entry to work. These keys can still start the car but they will not allow the remote functions to work. You can have 8 PATS key types in the PCM but the PCM will only support 4 remote keyless function keys. So basically it is 4 IKT PATS keys (with remote entry support) and 4 basic PATS keys (without the remote support). I think I currently have 6 IKT PATS keys programmed for my car with 4 working keyfob functions.

Two PATS keys must always be programmed in the PCM or the vehicle will not start...which is why you get two keys from Ford when you buy the car. A dead keyfob battery will not stop a car from starting, it will only cause remote keyfob buttons to fail.

There is no reason you cannot have an IKT PATS (PATS key will remote keyfob functions) key for your car. You simply have to make sure the frequency and coding for the remote keyfob part and the PATS are compatible for your vehicle....two separate requirements that must be matched. The original key manufacturers were HUF and STRATTEC if you want to see if they now make an incorporated key for your car or go through some key sites to find some compatible keys. Even EBAY lists some IKT PATS keys for older GT500s.

You must have two currently working keys to add a new key. You also can use a different style key too if you want. Example...one of my IKT PATS keys looks like the image below. Worked great until I hard dropped it in water and popped open. Got it working again but I don't trust it completely yet.

^^^^^^Thanks for that detailed info., mine is a 2008 and the fob is separate from the key, I am guessing all 2007-2009's are that way, the key with incorporated fob must have been a 2010+ thing. I did program a 3rd key to my car, the same as you showed at the bottom of your post (flip key), and the programming was very easy with my two original keys/fobs within range to do the programming process.

R

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread