Direct competitors of the FiST...?

shurur

Established Member
I don't own a Fiesta ST..yet...but may well be looking for used..someday. So you folks take care of my car. I did have a 1978 Fiesta, orange with black stripe and orange/black interior. It was a demo car. I still have dreams that i have that car stored as a backup vehicle.

The early Fiesta used to be called the poor man's rabbit.

Now the new FiST looks to have moved in the world and is the poor man's Mini Cooper

Anyway the new ST (1.6 Turbo) looks to be a direct competitor with the Mini Cooper works.
I used MSN->cars->compare to line them up against each other. Specs are very close!

I don't see much else close to this car in power/weight and handling (wheelbase)....
anything else out there.?? Mazda speed3?? Just wondering.

blackvette101

Established Member
Fiat abarth is one. The focus ST and MS3 are not direct competitors but I'm sure people compare with them too. I know I did. A non recaro focus ST was 10 bucks more a month then my recaro fiesta ST.

wheelhopper

Established Member
Focus is more of a competitor for the Mazda 3.

I have had my car parked next to a Fiat Abarth and those cars are small compared to a Fiesta. I would say that the Mini is the closest. I have had my car on the track once, and I know another who has tracked his. I am sure when the track season starts for us we'll run up against a Mini or two. I'll let you all know how it does.

shurur

Established Member
Focus is more of a competitor for the Mazda 3.

I have had my car parked next to a Fiat Abarth and those cars are small compared to a Fiesta. I would say that the Mini is the closest. I have had my car on the track once, and I know another who has tracked his. I am sure when the track season starts for us we'll run up against a Mini or two. I'll let you all know how it does.

That is really what I'm wondering.
The specs comparison lines right up.

I've talked to two Mini owners who both had had many different sports cars, including some AWD and Corvettes, and both said that the Mini was the best handling car they had ever driven....It got me to thinking.

EDIT: FiST also matches up nice against the miata......

Last edited:

wheelhopper

Established Member
I have instructed in a Cooper S. I was impressed with the handling and performance for a small car. But I don't think it has much on my Fiesta. For the price the Fiesta is a hands down winner.

Users who are viewing this thread