Direct Comparison with Videos -Mac LTs, O/R X: Borla Stinger vs Mac 3" Catback setups

Silver TT

Established Member
Just installed the Mac 3" yesterday. Had Borla Stingers before and loved them but was trying to reduce the drone a bit so I decided to try the Mac 3".

Overall I am really happy with the Mac. The Borla sounded sick as well but around town driving when you are not looking for attention the Borla was just a little too much given the car also has LTs and O/R X.

Old Setup: Mac LTs, O/R X, Borla Stinger
New Setup: Mac LTs, O/R X, Mac 3"

Quality of System - Fit & Finish
Borla wins hands down. From the moment you take the exhaust out of the box you can see the Borla is 10x nicer setup. All the pieces fit perfectly and the whol exhaust is lighter weight and beautifully welded. The Mac 3" looks more like a bunch of sewer parts with flanges connecting them. And we had to modify at least two pieces (grind out one of the hanger holes and tweak one of the flange bolts) to get the system to fit.

Overall Sound Quality
Highly subjective category as we all know from the various polls on the forum. My opinion is they both sound amazing but in different ways. The Borla is in your face pretty much all the time. At 1/8 throttle the Borla is putting out a lot of sound decibels and at WOT it sounds like the world is ending in a very good way. The Mac is a bit more mild at partial throttle applications and similarly amazing at WOT. I was actually very surprised to hear how similar the exhausts sound in general given they are completely different setups (straight through vs chambered and different diameter pipes).

Drone / Rasp
The main reason I wanted to try the Mac was because I heard there is less drone on the chambered exhausts vs the straight through design. I only drove on highway for about 10 mins yesterday and I had the top down (always less drone with top down vs up) so I will update after more driving but I was driving at 1800 to 2100 specifically to try and make the Mac drone and I really couldn't hear much drone. On the Borla setup there was no avoiding the drone between 1800 and 2100 rpm. Both systems have a lot of rasp, the Mac might have even more right around 2500 there is this crazy wave of sound that comes on with both systems even at very light throttle and then it sort of fades away around 2800. With this open exhaust setup its almost like playing a musical instrument the way the sound comes on and off.

Overall Opinion
I loved the Borla Stinger and I also love the Mac, maybe even a little bit more. Borla is definitely for those who want the loudest exhaust with great build quality. The Mac is for those who want similar sound at WOT but slightly more relaxed anywhere under 4000 rpms. The Mac is by no means quiet (far from it) but it is not as loud through the entire RPM range like the Borla. Its a tough call for those deciding but I give a slight edge to the Mac, at least on my setup, based on sound alone. If fitment / quality of materials matters more to you - Borla all the way.

Videos - not great quality but very much apples to apples comparison since these videos were shot in same location on same day right before and after Mac install. You will probably agree its surprising how similar they sound in this vid.

Skip to about 0:55 on both videos to get to the higher revs.

Borla Stinger

[youtube_browser]GVrolGkXEeU[/youtube_browser]

Mac Catback 3"

[youtube_browser]sA6yeQ2kj3k[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
I love my mac, and your mac sounds excellent. The only way I can describe a mac exhaust note is being "raw". Just has that pure muscle car sound that most exhaust dont. I haven't heard anything similiar the compares to mac sound.

Silver TT

Established Member
Agree...it does have a very uniquely raw sound. I have noticed at throttle tip in, meaning first application of throttle, there is almost a delay in sound with the Mac meaning I think the Borla probably has better initial throttle response and likely better air flow at low rpm, but once you get into 2000 rpm + they are the same.

I did one big smokey burnout down the street unfortunately didn't have the video turned on at that point and the car sounded simply amazing. The metallic / raw exotic sound is totally ridiculous.

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
I remember seeing a chart online a while ago showing a comparison rating with like 10-12 different catbacks, and mac was one of the loudest you can get for a chambered setup. It has definitely helped me a lot over the years because when your cruising, it doesn't attract unwanted attention but when your doing some occasional spirited driving it wakes up from the dead lol. Since you have an o/r pipe its more pure of an exhaust note. I have a rare mac catted H, and it slightly tames it but in a good way. Thanks for the comparison.

NateV8

Established Member
I've had Mac before and have stingers now. They are my favorite two catback, just wish Mac had better quality and fitment.

What fuel pumps do you have?

Silver TT

Established Member

-FRPP 80# Injectors
-Converted to a Return Fuel System
-Fore Fuel Rails
-Fragola Pushlock Fuel Lines
- -8AN Feed Line / -6AN Return Line
-Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator with Gauge
-Aeromotive Fuel Filter Housing with 40 micron steel mesh filter
-T-connection to easily drain tank for changing over fuels
-Fore Dual Pump Return Fuel Hat
-Dual GSS342 Walbro Fuel Pumps
-Lethal Performance Wire and Relay Kit

Quick96Mystic

Mystiiiiic wowww
Established Member
Good choice on the macs to tone the car down a bit :beer: I love the rawr!!! that borlas have but damn they do get annoying at some point especially if you drive your car a lot

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
Mac FTW. I'd like to get long tubes for mine as well, you're the first person to post a vid of mac lt's, o/r x and 3" catback as far as I know. This definitely sold me on it 100% I love my mac 3", I'll never get rid of it.

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
I've had Mac before and have stingers now. They are my favorite two catback, just wish Mac had better quality and fitment.

They got a stainless steel kit. I know when my catback falls apart im getting it.

black-plasma

Established Member
Great review. I love my Mac Prochamber/Catback combo but they sound pretty good with a X pipe as well.

2sick4v's

SonicBoom
Established Member
What's crazy is that you said the straight through design has more drone vs the chambered but im sure a lot would agree that a chambered muffler usually has more drone. Mac on the other hand doesn't drone half as bad as a flowmaster and has even less then some straight through mufflers which another reason why mac is soo amazing. I like the mac better cruising around but borla sounds insane at wot.

Silver TT

Established Member
They got a stainless steel kit. I know when my catback falls apart im getting it.

Yeah, I think they do have a stainless steel system which I would have much preferred and gladly paid another $100 or so to have stainless but I don't think they make it in 3", only in 2.5". I could be wrong but I don't see a 3" stainless on their website anymore.

Mac Performance - performance accessories for cars, trucks, and motorcycles

I wanted the 3" since I was afraid the chambered muffler wouldn't flow as well as the straight through and I didn't want to lose power. At the end of the day I probably still did lose a small bit of power as I mention the throttle response seems more sluggish with the Mac, but maybe I picked up some torque. Who knows...not gonna dyno just to find out as I'm thinking it would be within +/- 10 hp either way.

The important thing is the car is a lot more liveable now under normal cruising and still screams like an animal at WOT. :beer:

Silver TT

Established Member
Mac FTW. I'd like to get long tubes for mine as well, you're the first person to post a vid of mac lt's, o/r x and 3" catback as far as I know. This definitely sold me on it 100% I love my mac 3", I'll never get rid of it.

I'll make some better videos soon. Trust me when I say those garage vids don't do the setup justice at all. Under hard acceleration or throttle blips it sounds incredible. Both setups do actually, just the Mac is more of an on / off switch while the Borla is just kind of on all the time.

tarheeltrooper

900 H.P. Club
Established Member
I loved my mac but the fitment sucked and the pipes were alumanized. Now I enjoy the polished look from the rear with my stingers, but it is a little more raspier and veryyyy loud, but only when wot, just cruising around its all good!

Users who are viewing this thread