Dipstick Leaking

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Took the car out today for a little cruise since it was a nice cool morning. When I got home I noticed a drop of oil on the driveway. Jacked up the car and looks like it is coming from the dipstick tube where is meets the block. Is it worth the aggravation of trying to pull it (goes through Stainless Works Long tubes) out replace the o-ring and put it back, or go with a aftermarket like a Lokar that is flexible. For anyone who had done aftermarket does it rest against the header at all? Thanks!

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I had a Lokar on my 01 because I ended up cutting the stock tube in a moment of frustration. It cleared the headers (Bassanis) fine. Only issue is that it was a little long and I had to bolt it to one of the bolts on the valve cover. Triple check the length before ordering.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I'd get under there and get a good read if you have enough jiggle room to just pop it out, oring, and back in without fully removing through the headers. I have different headers so can't give you a 1:1.

Sigh: or since it shouldn't be a pressure situation, clean the area and put a little silicon on your finger and put a bead. 95% of the time doesn't work but might be worth a shot.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I'd just pop it out and replace the o-ring if that's all it is. I went Lokar because of my headers and I had no choice but prior to that stock worked just fine.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
I pulled the dipstick and saw the o ring was in pretty bad shape and a small part missing. The dipstick it self looked pretty mangled too....probably from the long tube install. I bought a Lokar and poped it on. All good.

Users who are viewing this thread