Dilemma 2.9 whipple (front intake) or vmp TVS 2

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm in a bit of a dilemma and I hope some some of you can help me ease my decision.
I've got a 14 GT/CS with the mt-82 and 3.73 rear. Only 91 is available for premium pump gas. AED will be doing my tuning again.
The goal is 600+ rwhp on pump gas, with the stock block "safely". (Lots of supporting fuel and cooling mods are needed I'm sure.) I'm set on a PD blower, and the two standouts are the 2.3 VMP TVS and new front inlet 2.9 Whipple.
Personally I like what I've seen on with both setups. The flat torque curve on the new Whipple graph has my attention, especially with my 3.73s where I'm afraid I'll just boil my rears with the TVS at 8-10lbs.
With the type of driving I do there is no reason to go over that 600HP goal, on occasion I'll drag race, otherwise it's a road warrior, and will sometimes go run at some road courses, paved rally's, autocross and just have fun.
I expect fuel and cooling mods will be needed with both.
I know the new Whipple will fit under the boss strut tower bar but I'm not sure on the VMP TVS v2. I definitely want to keep it for the twisties I encounter.
I have no clue on cost since it seems they can be had at lower prices than advertised, but how much lower I haven't a clue. I know fast+reliable =/= cheap and will pay to do it right the first time.

So coyote brethren, I'd love to hear your thoughts.
-Jason

Last edited:

Angry50

Established Member
either will be good, you will be deciding on the details. i like the new whipple as it can be color matched and seems to have a good whine. but youre not going to be disappointed either way.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
600whp is easy to get with either... I'd go VMP 2.3! They're proven and have a ton of aftermarket support. All there is right now for the Whipple is Dyno #'s from stick shift cars, no Impressive ET slips that I know of...

sono

Established Member
I think in these situations it's roots every time, right? If the hp is on par then whats the choice.

corepwn

Established Member
The VMP Gen2 is a great unit. You'll find more TQ with it than the Whipple and if you're limiting to 600rwhp you'll be there easily with either setup. Both can be run at low boost and make you happy, and both have room to grow if you put in a built motor. I know the Gen2 has had 2 S197 cars into the 8s (auto and stick).

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
either will be good, you will be deciding on the details. i like the new whipple as it can be color matched and seems to have a good whine. but youre not going to be disappointed either way.

I've been tempted to get the Whipple in Deep Impact Blue... and then get DIB COP Covers. The black and blue blower/engine bay would match the rest of the car, and the BOSS 302 Strut brace can clear it all... but from what I remember from my Lightning days the Whipple wont really shine until I spin the crap out of it, at <10lbs of boost it'd not even tease the 14-20lbs where the twin-screws really shine. But if it can make similar power as the TVS with a nice flat torque curve and cooler iat2's it'd be a non issue.
I know the TVS will have higher peak torque (especially at lower RPM), with traction that would be a benefit from a dig. It'd be lowest maintenance too when it comes to oil IIRC. I just wish I'd know if there is a strut tower brace that will clear it (and which one). I only have 91 octane locally (aside from E-85, but I'm not ready to play with the corn juice) I'm on the highway allot and I know that the intake temperatures after the intercooler tend to climb when not in boost, and can cause a bit of tip in detonation if it's too warm.

Any vendors feel free to opine!
And If I can get a good discount...

:lol:

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
rDIHhnLuxf2N2.gif

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
2.9 Whipple is the way I would go. That thing looks awesome IMO, plus the center discharge and increased intercooler size seems like a definite advantage. I wish (hope) they make a kit for the Terminator at some point, but I doubt it would worth with the stock hood

GS357

Established Member
Did you check with Shaun at AED for his opinion since he will be doing the tune? He can save you a lot of time and money if you listen to his advice. This goes for any good tuner, they know what works and what does not.

mustang6788

Hey another Wichitan!!! I was in the exact same situation you were 6months ago but ended up going with the VMP. I really liked the whipple but for me it came down to price and proven track record. When I was looking the whipple wasn't shipping yet and that was just too much money for a blower that had very limited testing done. I am happy with my kit but still curious how the whipple would compare. There was a big sale going on the VMP kit and talking to BJ on the phone sold me on their kit. The price difference definitely was a big selling point for me especially when you are talking over $1,000.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Did you check with Shaun at AED for his opinion since he will be doing the tune? He can save you a lot of time and money if you listen to his advice. This goes for any good tuner, they know what works and what does not.
Yes, but he could only really speak for the older rear entry 2.3 and 2.9 Whipple's.
The biggest difference between the TVS and 2.3 Whipple was the TVS will have more mid to low torque but the Whipple will outpower the TVS at rpm. The TVS will produce more heat, especially with anything smaller than the 82mm pulley.
The 2.9 makes less power then the 2.3 below 12psi but it shines above 13psi and is ideal for 750-800 rwhp applications.
So it really depends on if the front inlet on the new Whipple makes the supercharger act similarly or differently than it's rear fed predecessors. If it's similar, the TVS may be the best option. If the newer 2.9 Whipple is better at making power at lower boost levels than before it could still be a good option.
It looks like I either take a chance as an early adopter and hope it pays off, or play it safe and go with a tested product.

Hey another Wichitan!!! I was in the exact same situation you were 6months ago but ended up going with the VMP. I really liked the whipple but for me it came down to price and proven track record. When I was looking the whipple wasn't shipping yet and that was just too much money for a blower that had very limited testing done. I am happy with my kit but still curious how the whipple would compare. There was a big sale going on the VMP kit and talking to BJ on the phone sold me on their kit. The price difference definitely was a big selling point for me especially when you are talking over $1,000.

Nice to see I'm not alone! The more coyotes in the pack the better :beers:
What stage did you go with and how much boost are you running on pump gas? Is it easy do you get heat soaked?

Last edited:

mustang6788

I got the stage 2 kit. Install was easy did it over a weekend with no real trouble. Worst part for me was cutting front valence, I have a roush front end and I had to cut a good 3 inches off to clear the heat exchanger. I do get some heat soak in heavy traffic when the temp is pretty high outside. It cools off pretty quickly though within a couple minutes driving 40mph. Mine is not a DD so it doesn't really bother me that much. I have kicked around the idea of going E85 since a challenger hellcat moved in the neighborhood. Not sure how I would stack up with mild tune, 82 pulley and 91 octane.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Have you taken it to the track or dyno? If you dont ming me asking what is your MPH or rwhp/tq (you can pm me if you wish to keep it quiet, you just might need to make a few more posts)
Jason

AjPiT

Established Member
With my VMP i was pulling a C7 Z06 in the 1/8th mile on my heavy 20" rims. Its a great kit!

Users who are viewing this thread