Differential/Rear End Details?

schitzo

Established Member
I have been searching and can't seem to find much information on the differential in the new Mustang, not even a ring gear size. I read some speculations that it is an 8.8. on the inside but can't find anything to support that claims.
The most I have found are gear ratios which include 3.15:1, 3.31:1, 3.55:1, and 3.73:1. These appear to be the same offerings for the 8.8 save for the 3.15:1 ratio.

Dose anyone have any details on this rear end?

Jroc

Established Member
There are a whole lot more rear gear options for a 8.8 than that.

2.73's, 2.95's, 3.08's, 3.27's, 3.90's, 4.10's, 4.30's 4.56's, etc, etc.

schitzo

Established Member
^^ yep

I'm aware there are a lot more ratios available for the 8.8. The ones I mentioned are what Ford is offering for the new mustang, at least per the article I read.

Regardless of ratios, is the new differential an 8.8 or not? Why is Ford being stingy with this information?

Jroc

Established Member
^How many bolts does it have on it? A 8.8" is a 10 bolt.

schitzo

Established Member
I don't know how many bolts it has and haven't seen a picture of the entire cover. However, per the picture below, this diff does not appear to have the same bolt pattern as the traditional 8.8. If it is a symetrical pattern like the 8.8. then this diff may have 12 bolts (3 bolts per quadrant). The pinion flange appears to the the same as the current 8.8 that uses a CV joint. Excuse the large pic

attachment.php

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread