Differential Clutches

AngelOreo

Special
Established Member
Soo.. Anyone ever mess these up? Have them get messed up from daily driving?

It's been 3 months since something went wrong with the car.. shoulda known it was coming.

Jim

04yellowcobra

Established Member
Jimmy is the car dog tracking? (IE spinning one wheel?) Or how have you known that your clutches have gone out?

AngelOreo

Special
Established Member
basically, when ever you accelerate.. the car lifts and pull left.. then straightens out. When you let off, it goes to the right. the best way to describe it is that it feels like a bad brake rotor when they pull.. only this happens during acceleration and letting off the gas. Sort of neat.. but not really..

On top of all this.. you know this car has been a real pita from day 1.. I just found out on a car fax it was in an accident 3 years ago.. about a year before I bought it. Not surprised my anything with this car.. except when i went to the dealership for an estimate to check on perhaps a new focus.. they only offered 12K. :(

04yellowcobra

Established Member
Well I am going to say that I am 95% sure that your diff clutches are not causing this issue. Sounds like something is FUBAR in the suspension ... BAD, or a dragging brake.

The only way I knew my stock ford explorer clutch plates were going bad was when I was in the burnout box at the track with the slicks the car would stop spinning both wheels.

Good luck.

AngelOreo

Special
Established Member
Well that is what we thought.. So we had it up on the lift twice to check for anything that was askew. Nothing was showing any signs up slippage or wear. We also sucked out some Fluid from the diff and it stunk something awlful as well as noticed some sludge. :( Mind you.. when I rebuilt the suspension last year I cleaned her out, freshly sealed her and put all new fluid in. :(

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
When I replaced all the bearings and seals I got the carbon fiber clutch pack set which was expensive but says that is OE. Went with two of the best stock ones as extra packs to make it tighter. Not really sure if any of this helps you...

98mdsnake

Established Member
Well I am going to say that I am 95% sure that your diff clutches are not causing this issue. Sounds like something is FUBAR in the suspension ... BAD, or a dragging brake.

The only way I knew my stock ford explorer clutch plates were going bad was when I was in the burnout box at the track with the slicks the car would stop spinning both wheels.

Good luck.

+1 on the brakes...take it out for a drive then when you come back check and see if one side is way hotter then the other.

AngelOreo

Special
Established Member
I will try this again..

But if I drive for two hours on eht highway with almost no braking.. it is the exact same.. no change in how it works from city.. I can be almost certain it's not brakes.. but I will double check.keep the ideas coming..

Users who are viewing this thread