differences between the marauder and p71 crown vic?

svtdriven

Established Member
I just picked up an 03 crown vic police car. it comes with;
revised front steering
engine oil cooler
trans cooler
HD springs
frame stiffeners
aluminum driveshaft
3.55 rear end with locking diff
HD alternator
dual exhaust
and some other stuff I can't remember off the top of my head.
I know the motor in the vic is a sohc and the marauder is a dohc, but what about the trans, suspension, etc?

sdacbob

Established Member
Are you sure you have 3.55's? Most P71's after 2000 have 3.27's as standard.
Anyway, 2003 and newer are similar. The Marauder has rear air suspension with the HPP type sway bars, the P71 has a slightly smaller rear bar. Marauders have a console shifter and traction control and other minor differences. 3.55's are standard in Marauders but many of the owners switch to 3.73's or 4.11's. They also have the aluminum driveshaft. The 04 Marauder has the 4R75 tranny.

svtdriven

Established Member
I am not sure on the 3.55's for the 03, I heard some did and some didn't, but I don't know if that was just for the 98-00 models or all of them. thanks for the info!

sdacbob

Established Member
svtdriven said:
I am not sure on the 3.55's for the 03, I heard some did and some didn't, but I don't know if that was just for the 98-00 models or all of them. thanks for the info!

Found on the rear diff cover

axletag.jpg

T'Cal

Established Member
As for similarities, the tail lights, trunk lid and trim, and body side moulding are the same as the CV and not the Grand Marquis. In many ways, it's as if they started with a CVPI P71 and replaced the engine, bumpers, grille, and tailpipes. I've driven every year CVPI since 1996 when my police department began replacing the Chevy Caprices with Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptors. At the time and until about 3 years ago, the Chevy Caprices were superior to the CVs in most every way. Ford has performed some major upgrades to the CVPI including more power from the 4.6L V8, better shifting transmissions ('tho not as good as the one in my Marauder), better seats, better suspensions, better breaking, etc. Still, the CVPI really needs the bigger 5.4L for more torque. I've read that the bigger engine won't fit under the hoods of the CVs/GMs, which makes no sense to me since Ford has reskinned or altered physically these two a few times and could've replaced the hood with a taller one.

T'Cal

Established Member
When it's time to replace my Marauder, I may buy a CV Sport and perform a few upgrades like a K&N CAI and a freer flowing exhaust. That is unless Mercury brings the Marauder back, which it could easily do by taking the drivetrain from the Mustang GT. That 300hp 3V 4.6L V8 and 5-speed automatic tranny (if not 6-speed from the trucks) should already be in the CVPI, the CV Sport, a new Marauder, and the Town Car. What is Ford thinking??

Grifter

Established Member
the 300A (early 03's) Marauders didnt have traction control. Thank god i got one of those. I HATE traction control..

Zee

Established Member
T'Cal said:
When it's time to replace my Marauder, I may buy a CV Sport and perform a few upgrades like a K&N CAI and a freer flowing exhaust. That is unless Mercury brings the Marauder back, which it could easily do by taking the drivetrain from the Mustang GT. That 300hp 3V 4.6L V8 and 5-speed automatic tranny (if not 6-speed from the trucks) should already be in the CVPI, the CV Sport, a new Marauder, and the Town Car. What is Ford thinking??
Do you or anyone else know if you can put that motor in the car? I'm super interested in getting something that moves, but with way I am, my insurance won't let me get something truly sick. I figure I can beat the companies if I get something like a crown vic, with lower insurance, drop that mustang 4.6 into it, and mod it from there, but I don't know if it can be done. Any experiences?

Grifter

Established Member
yeah, i'm just glad i dont have it :)
Ford's traction control is very unsafe IMHO. It left me stranded in the middle of an intersection more than once in my Mark VIII. That was the first thing i made sure the tuner pulled when they did my car. No more pulling timing with the TC..

Zee

Established Member
Zee said:
Do you or anyone else know if you can put that motor in the car? I'm super interested in getting something that moves, but with way I am, my insurance won't let me get something truly sick. I figure I can beat the companies if I get something like a crown vic, with lower insurance, drop that mustang 4.6 into it, and mod it from there, but I don't know if it can be done. Any experiences?
Anyone?

Teal93svt

Established Member
03 was the year when they started putting 3.55's in all police interceptors, i used to work for ford and dealt with alot of the cvpi's. heres a cool pic of my stang with a few. The kansas state patrol would order 250+ cv's a year, and thats not counting the local agencies that ordered every year.

02gt2.jpg

Last edited:

DJP

Established Member
svtdriven said:
I just picked up an 03 crown vic police car. it comes with;
revised front steering
engine oil cooler
trans cooler
HD springs
frame stiffeners
aluminum driveshaft
3.55 rear end with locking diff
HD alternator
dual exhaust
and some other stuff I can't remember off the top of my head.
I know the motor in the vic is a sohc and the marauder is a dohc, but what about the trans, suspension, etc?

Aside from the police package "heavy duty" parts you mentioned, including calibrated speedometer and reinforced seats, the main diferrence aside the motor (302HP 32v DOHC vs. 240HP SOHC) is the quality of construction.

I've got a 94 CVPI with 190K, never garaged, that I use as my daily driver, and honestly, worrying about the car kicking over on a cold winter day has never entered my mind...it's a tank. On the other hand, my 04 Marauder is a garage queen with 28K and has more creaks and rattles then my 94 CVPI with 190K.

svtdriven

Established Member
I've just started checking out the p71. I went to replace one of the insturment cluster bulbs and saw in the little panel under the headlight switch, the plugs for the traction control and power pedals. Now I am curious about how much wiring is in the car. could I add the steering wheel with radio and climate controls? what about the power seat controls in the door panel? Obviously I would need the corresponding hardware, but would it all be plug and play? I'll definitely look into it.

I have also started looking into performance parts and there isn't much advertised for an 03+ crown vic. underdrive pulleys and a K&N filter/intake pipe is about it. the intake goes to the opposite side of the motor than the mustangs intake does, so I wonder if one of those ported plenums would still fit.

I checked the part numbers on the headers at the ford dealer and they are different, but no one in the parts dept. could tell me what the differences were.

I am trying very hard to NOT mod this car, I already have a stang that needs the attention, but it is just so tempting! a built bottom end with flat top pistons, 5.4 ported heads and cams... :thumbsup:

jstevens

Established Member
Hang out over on the crownvic.net board. I'm sure there are more parts available then you know of.

The panther platform has a lot to offer, more than I thought even.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
i've always loved the Marauders and hated to see them go. It was probably the most under appreciated car this decade so far. I'd like to acquire one for myself sometime down the road. The HPP-equipped Crown Vic I bought last year really surprised me. It was considerably quicker than I had expected it to be, having spent 4 years in my 01 Cobra. Obviously not as quick, but still pretty torquey and accelerates well even when passing. Its handling for a large car was also fairly neutral. Both the P74 (HPP) and the P71 (CVPI) have torque ratings of 287 lbs. ft which really seem more of an improvement over the single exhaust CVs than the numbers would indicate...really to the point that I have wondered if they are underrated a bit. Of course, the HPP has the 3.27 ove the standard Vic's 2.73. If I'm not mistaken the 3.55 was standard on the Marauder and remains an option on CVPI, but I wouldn't really expect to see that much gain from 3.27 to 3.55.
The only negative to the Marauder on the surface for me would be the premium gasoline. The torque ratings aren't that much different than the 2V 4.6 with 287 lbs.ft. compared to something like 310 lbs. ft for the Marauder. The difference between the 3.27 and 3.55 rear probably wouldn't make enough different to consider. For me, the Marauder's greatest asset is the 50-60 horsepower advantage and the greater results from modification due to the 32 valve motor. I'd rather pay for regular gas in a daily driver Crown Vic.

Users who are viewing this thread