Differences between Modular cylinder heads

Established Member
I know my pushrod Ford heads inside and out and can usually ID them very quickly with a glance. But I am not so knowledgeable on the Modular motor performance heads. I hoping someone can share their knowledge.

M-6049/6050-DAMR also known as the FORD RACING FORD GT DAYTONA PROTOTYPE HEADS used on the Maytech GT. How is it different from stock GT head?

M-6049-DAC/M-6050-DAC also known as FORD RACING FORD GT FR500C. As I understand it, these have smaller combustion chambers, Bronze guides and Copper beryllium seats, Which begs the question, what guides and seats do stock heads have?

Where do the heads on our iron block GT500s fit in? Are they not GT heads as well?

Thanks for any input.

FordFanStan

Established Member
I recently have been researching this quite a bit and learned a little info about this.

The heads on your DOHC GT500 are the GT casting. However they utilize different cam gears and chains, different cam covers and a different intake bolt pattern.

From the FoMoCo factory almost all modular heads for mass production vehicles utilize steel guides and seats. They are more reliability minded than performance minded.

As far as the DAC (FR500C) heads go, I don't think they have smaller combustion chambers, but I do agree with the Bronze guides and Beryllium seats, for the exhaust valves.

What are curious about? Are you looking to build a high perf engine and wondering what is available? That is the predicament I am in right now, and after learning all this I am not too picky. If I can pickup a set of GT500 heads cheaper than I can the GT heads I will probably go with them, and just use the larger GT cam components and cam covers with the GT500 intake and blower. FFS

Established Member
Well, with the current state of things, I am uncertain these pieces will be around forever and I thought I would grab a few of the best, if I could figure out which ones are.

I have a friend who took the opportunity to go to Holman and Moody and buy as much as he could of their Boss 429 parts.

He had shelves of NOS NASCAR heads, blocks,. cranks etc. I have not seen him for a while but I am guessing he still has them. He used them in Circle track K-boats. I am not thinking I am that lucky.:lol1:

So, In short, I thought I better grab a few while they are there, it is too easy to make the power with blower changes only. The days of getting the heads to flow the best using hours of porting are getting limited, unless you are serious racer.

So, Stan, if you are thinking GT heads, will you just drill them for your intake bolt pattern? Of the two heads I mentioned above, are they both GT bolt patterns?

Did you discover anything about the Maytech GT heads?

FordFanStan

Established Member
No I do not know anything about those heads, but I bet Dan Shoneck, Boss330, or Accufab would all have a clue about those possibly.

As far as what I want, yes since I found that they are the same castings with only minor differences I think I am willing to go with whichever heads come available at the right time and the right price. Even in the more wild (1000-2000 and + hp) modular 4v builds that I know of, I don't think valves are enlarged on the GT castings, only porting is done. So if you can come across the castings with the bronze guides and beryllium seats, that would probably be the better option, but again those are only sold as bare castings and have no valvetrain or cams.

The GT heads are sold fully assembled with valvetrain and cams for quite a deal, usually around $2000-2500 a set iirc.

This is as far as I know. FFS

scj

Established Member
Just bought a set of GT heads (M-6049-GT & M-6050-GT) from Steve at Tousley for $879.00 each, with free shipping from Ford. Hard to beat that deal.

Last edited:

FordFanStan

Established Member
But with steel guides and seats?

Hopefully somebody has used these castings and can advise. ;-)

I think almost everyone that uses the GT heads for their builds, uses the stock steel inserts and guides. And you know all the GT cars that are TT or TT SC on stock longblocks that run 1000-1200rwhp use those inserts and guides and have no issues.

I also no one engine builder who has used the stock steel inserts instead of bronze on some of his race engines because they have less wear supposedly, hence why the manufacturer is using them.

So if that is the one thing holding you back, I would worry too much. This is my .02 cents anyhow. I don't know if the engine builders want to share this info, but maybe you want to contact some of the more well known engine builders and ask them what they use? Anyhow hope it helps, FFS

Established Member
Port volume, flow and chamber shape and size are all the same then? Same for the Maytech Too?

For my Boat motors we use the higher grade guides and seats. Poor fuel quality is an issue there. Heck I don't even trust pump fuel to be 91 (highest we get up here) even when it says so.

Users who are viewing this thread