DifferenceS between 2001 and 2002's

hweb30

02 V6
Established Member
Besides the obvious supercharger, what features were different between the two, so far I've just noticed the front center console doesnt have a a lower console on the 01's.

Also what features did these trucks come with over the regular supercrews, I'm having a hard time finding info on this. Thanks!

SCBQQSTN

Established Member
Besides the obvious supercharger, what features were different between the two, so far I've just noticed the front center console doesnt have a a lower console on the 01's.

Also what features did these trucks come with over the regular supercrews, I'm having a hard time finding info on this. Thanks!

Check Welcome to the National Harley Truck Owners Club, they have the answer for everything for 1st gen harley trucks.

Differences are big. It's a completely different drivetrain, 01 had a regular 5.4L motor with a crappy 4R70 tranny. The 02 has a the lightning motor and much stronger tranny.

Exterior- striping, headlights, and grill are different.

Interior - Better seats in the 02, console design is different, and the steering wheel is different (a lot would say the steering wheel on 01 is better because of its design)

lenny2001harley

the 01 trans is the same as the 02.
i have the full sc conversion with 03 motor fully built with stock trans
sct tuned.

Smith3135

Established Member
I think the 02 with the changes from 01 is definately the way to go. And if you want to upgrade stereo stay away from the 03. I am sure in time the aftermarket will have some upgrades for the 03
When I bought mine I did not know there were any differences from 01 to 02 and then the dealer explained them and I was happy to get an 02!

oki

Step up or STFU!
Established Member
Looks like all the other differences have been covered already.

And if you want to upgrade stereo stay away from the 03. I am sure in time the aftermarket will have some upgrades for the 03

What are you talking about? I have an 03 and have completely upgraded my stereo with a Pioneer DD, speakers, amp, sub, etc... There is lots out there for the 03's and has been since I upgraded my stereo back in 2006.

4vmn12

Perpetual project creator
Established Member
For the year range, the harley's are nice if you want 4 bucket seats, which are leather, and two center consoles which open to store things front and rear. The interior is likely nicer than many standard crew cab models of the time. More standard options like power/heated seats. The gauge cluster is unique, and IHMO nicer vs standard F150 crewcab etc.

now newer trucks also got nicer interiors but they are EXPENSIVE!

If you have the option of choosing personally I'd go with an 02-later HD with 50-75k miles, $17.5-19.5 price range is likely.
An 01 can be retrofitted with anything you want. Just have to consider the time/effort/cost vs purchase price of a newer model.
For me I got a great deal on my 01 HD, so it was not worth 6 grand more (which was out of my price range) to find an 02-03 HD.

the 02-later have the lightening engine, so forged pistons with 8.5 to 1 compression, and the lightening blower induction (intercooled) which has alot of aftermarket support and is easy to improve performance on.
MY 2001 HD has an E40D transmission (newer electronic version of the E40D) this is actually a bigger trans with bigger parts than what is in the Lightning. This was optional on the HD and is on heaver duty Trucks like F250+; The HD's with this trans were popular for towing, i.e. especially guys towing a trailer full of HD motor cycles to a big event...
With some minor mods to the VB/plate for shifting, etc, the E40D is quite a durable trans from what I have seen. That said, nobody expects to use the O.D. band of either transmission with any significant acceleration. I turn O.D. off for around town, and WOT romps on the freeway ramp.

My 2001 I bought had a K.B. 2.1-2L blower kit on it already installed, but the shortblock did not last long (not sure what damage was sustained by the prior owner). I've installed a lightening longblock reman'd from Ford, but it sure would be nice to have an intercooled blower setup like the 02-later Harleys have. Huge difference in potential power. (KB kits have no intercooler). Not really needed for my daily driver, but a nice to have, and a safer setup if itching for more boost and power (I only run 5psi of backpressure).

The rest are very subtle changes to the springs/suspension, and paint/pinstripe appearance. I'm thinking some exhaust changes may be likely between 01 to 02 but not sure. Their may be more interior/detail related stuff, but those are the main items. The NHTOC site has more details.

Just FYI, think about your ultimate power goals. if you want more than 12lbs of boost the bottom end needs to be built (on all harley's and all lightenings). The rods are in need of upgrade north of that power level (which is basically a 6# lower pulley, but all the lightning forums will have loads of information on that limitation). Just like any other modular ford with OE Glass pistons, 01 HD pistons are a ticking time bomb with any significant boost level (or any significant risk of detonation).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread