Diff cover gasket & oil weight

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Ford grey gasket maker. For oil and fm, whatever your diff calls for. If the car sees sustained high temps like road racing or the environment is generally very hot (west tx, az, etc) then stepping up to something a bit heavier would be ok.

Nervouswreck

Established Member
Some guys like the Lube Locker gaskets. I use the Ultra Grey RTV with no issues.

For oil weight stick with the factory specs. I'm pretty sure its 75w-140.

When i took it apart it had the Lube Locker gasket on it and it was leaking so I’ll probably go with your Ultra Grey . And I’ll grab the 75w-140 after i make sure that’s what it calls for . Thanks Yeller!

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Nervouswreck

Established Member
Some guys like the Lube Locker gaskets. I use the Ultra Grey RTV with no issues.

For oil weight stick with the factory specs. I'm pretty sure its 75w-140.

When i took it apart it had the Lube Locker gasket on it and it was leaking so I’ll probably go with your Ultra Grey . And I’ll grab the 75w-140 after i make sure that’s what it calls for . Thanks Yeller!

Nervouswreck

Established Member
Ford grey gasket maker. For oil and fm, whatever your diff calls for. If the car sees sustained high temps like road racing or the environment is generally very hot (west tx, az, etc) then stepping up to something a bit heavier would be ok.

I’m in PA and the car is pretty much a garage queen and cruiser. I’m 44 years old and getting older quick lol so i never beat on it . I’ll check OEM specs . Thanks for the help 311

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Oh, and don't fill it all the way up. If you do it'll spew out of the breather hose. I think I did 1.15 quarts last time I filled mine.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
I’m in PA and the car is pretty much a garage queen and cruiser. I’m 44 years old and getting older quick lol so i never beat on it . I’ll check OEM specs . Thanks for the help 311

If you're using the stock FR diff and it calls for 75 140 (ive had a few but can't remember exact specs for oil at the moment) that is heavy enough it would cover basically any temp the car should ever see, even being ran hard for moderately long periods. You start getting into diff coolers past that point. But since you're in PA and the car just cruises, it shouldnt break a sweat.

olympic

Established Member
Permatex Green RTV, Permatex "The Right Stuff" or Ford TA-29 sealant are highly recommended for diffs since diff fluid tends to weaken lesser sealants. Make sure you follow the directions, most will recommend letting the sealant set up for a while before torquing down the cover bolts. Make sure both surfaces are SPOTLESS and degreased with brake cleaner. Make sure there is no oil left in the diff that can drip down onto the sealant before it has cured. Let the sealant cure 12 hours before filling the diff.

Recommended fluid is 75w140 and a bottle of Ford friction modifier. Capacity is 1.25 quarts including the friction modifier and should come up to about 1/2" below the fill hole. If you fill it right up to the fill hole you'll end up with oil spewing out of the vent while driving.

Nervouswreck

Established Member
Permatex Green RTV, Permatex "The Right Stuff" or Ford TA-29 sealant are highly recommended for diffs since diff fluid tends to weaken lesser sealants. Make sure you follow the directions, most will recommend letting the sealant set up for a while before torquing down the cover bolts. Make sure both surfaces are SPOTLESS and degreased with brake cleaner. Make sure there is no oil left in the diff that can drip down onto the sealant before it has cured. Let the sealant cure 12 hours before filling the diff.

Recommended fluid is 75w140 and a bottle of Ford friction modifier. Capacity is 1.25 quarts including the friction modifier and should come up to about 1/2" below the fill hole. If you fill it right up to the fill hole you'll end up with oil spewing out of the vent while driving.

Thanks Olympic!

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
gaskets or lubelockers never made sense to me for the irs because the cover is under load. the goal should be to minimize and eliminate any deflection.

plus the covers (even the oem iirc) have a channel built into it for a bead of silicone - they were not designed for a traditional gasket.

in a sra, where the cover does not carry any load, i guess a gasket wouldn't be as detrimental to use, but from what i understand they even prefer silicone gasket-makers there too nowadays.

DocB

Established Member
Lubelocker gaskets work great in a stick axle.
I use the Ford 7.3L Diesel Grey Sealer in the IRS.
Something to consider.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
X2 on " The Right Stuff" Gray gasket maker. Instant seal. Have a BMW 2002 they have a wet head bolt. And if you dont seal it off with the gasket maker it leaks like crazy. Put a few dabs on the head of the bolt re torqued, fired it right up, no leak. Used it on many things since. Highly recomended product. I usuall order online, unless you got a good auto parts in your area that carries it.

Users who are viewing this thread